Sponsored

Cell phone mount

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I'm looking at this dash and it looks like a disaster for mounting a phone. Any ideas on the best way to do this?
Sponsored

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
I'm looking at this dash and it looks like a disaster for mounting a phone. Any ideas on the best way to do this?
Just saw this pic from the compass yellow thread. Looks like they are using a suction cup phone holder on the windshield. You can get this on Amazon.
Rivian R1T R1S Cell phone mount EC4F198B-8C2B-4880-8B94-FCFF2A9093EF

OP
OP

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Just saw this pic from the compass yellow thread. Looks like they are using a suction cup phone holder on the windshield. You can get this on Amazon.
EC4F198B-8C2B-4880-8B94-FCFF2A9093EF.png
That's unfortunate :( Kind of far away and in a bad spot.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
If only there was software for cars that made it so you could use the car’s touchscreen to interact with your phone…. Oh wait :)
Just make sure to send your guide pics of how dumb your phone mount looks in your brand new vehicle.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
EC4F198B-8C2B-4880-8B94-FCFF2A9093EF.png
Mounts like that are technically illegal in some States.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Leave the phone in your pocket or bag, or put it on the integrated wireless charger.

I SMH when I see newer vehicles with mounts suctioned to the windshield/dash. It's unsafe and unnecessary.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

They literally made a spot for you phone in the center counsel with charging. use the UI put you phone away.

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
I agree that mounting your phone on the windshield is dangerous, and I would not promote doing so.

That said, there seems to be Rivian employees who seem to think they need a way to mount their cell phone. Why is the phone mounted on the windshield in the picture? And if they think mounting a phone is needed, why didn’t they come up with a better solution?

WeatherTech makes CupFones, but that wouldn’t be helpful since there are only two cup holders.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

I agree that mounting your phone on the windshield is dangerous, and I would not promote doing so.

That said, there seems to be Rivian employees who seem to think they need a way to mount their cell phone. Why is the phone mounted on the windshield in the picture? And if they think mounting a phone is needed, why didn’t they come up with a better solution?

WeatherTech makes CupFones, but that wouldn’t be helpful since there are only two cup holders.
This 100%

If your employees don't think the infotainment system allows you to put your phone away, what customer will? I really wish they had done what ford did with the Mach E: have your own ecosystem, but let carplay / android auto open up in a window of the screen. Best of both worlds.

Rivian R1T R1S Cell phone mount ford_2020_go-electric_mach-e_london_127-

Sponsored

OP
OP

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I don't see the need for the phone going away. ONx offroad navigator, and Waze/google maps traffic reports and speed trap reports are the two major use cases.

Android auto would address a lot of this, but it doesn't have it. Every car I've found a way to mount -- usually someone has a purpose built mount, and if not there's a vent, or some other solution that's not on the dash and is on the short field of view.

This dash layout looks problematic.

I understand why companies don't have built in phone mounts despite it being present on literally 50% of vehicles in Seattle, but leaving some method would be ideal.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

suction cup on the top half of the display :CWL:

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

Perhaps you could use something like a MagBak ( Magnetic Phone Accessories | MagBak ) and put it on the left side of the steering wheel. I use this in my Yukon and it works great. Very stable and easy to use. It only needs a tiny space for the magnet to adhere to the dash and it looks like there might be space on the left side. Here is an old dash picture with the area circled.

Rivian R1T R1S Cell phone mount R1S_Dash

OP
OP

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Perhaps you could use something like a MagBak ( Magnetic Phone Accessories | MagBak ) and put it on the left side of the steering wheel. I use this in my Yukon and it works great. Very stable and easy to use. It only needs a tiny space for the magnet to adhere to the dash and it looks like there might be space on the left side. Here is an old dash picture with the area circled.

R1S_Dash.png
It would work great. However, I can barely see at all out of my left eye so it's a real challenge to get short term range over there. It's also harder to tap it if needed. Really need it on the right side :(