Marke08

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Anybody else keep their cargo crossbars on the top of their R1T? Mine are producing a very high pitched whistle sound anytime I go over 45 mph and will I don’t like it.
Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Anybody else keep their cargo crossbars on the top of their R1T? Mine are producing a very high pitched whistle sound anytime I go over 45 mph and will I don’t like it.
The exact reason I don’t leave mine up top…

I kept them on the back for a little bit as I liked the way they looked. They stay mostly in my gear tunnel now.

OP
OP
Marke08

Marke08

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

The exact reason I don’t leave mine up top…

I kept them on the back for a little bit as I liked the way they looked. They stay mostly in my gear tunnel now.
I love the way they look up top. This feels like a solvable problem.

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I love the way they look up top. This feels like a solvable problem.
There was a thread on this at some recent point - paracord or similar was used to stop the whistle.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

No way to solve this, I don't think the crossbars are meant for you. You should just hand them over now...

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
That is not uncommon, I have never left the cross bars on any vehicle unless I needed them because they always made a noise. Will steal some of your mileage as well.

Byulasfjazz

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Van
Occupation
Franchise owner
I have the same issue over 40 mph with crossbars on top, but the truck looks so much better.. gotta get a solution to that whistling

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
That is not uncommon, I have never left the cross bars on any vehicle unless I needed them because they always made a noise. Will steal some of your mileage as well.
This is the answer. All racks create some level of wind noise. People generally don't notice because they never drive the vehicle without racks and just write it off as normal for the given vehicle.

CO-rayman

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, ...
I have the same issue over 40 mph with crossbars on top, but the truck looks so much better.. gotta get a solution to that whistling
Having used crossbars for years in Colorado, I use a bungee cord and wrap it around the front bar. This kills about 80% of the noise (yes 80% is totally scientific ;)).

Another more expensive option I have used is to install a fairing on the front crossbar.

A third option is to leave a cargo box on. While the box still whistles, it doesn't whine.

A fourth option (similar to the bungee) is to see if you can find some crossbar rubber strip that fits in the grooves. Most of the newer crossbars come with the rubber strips that have bumps to disturb the air flow. You insert the strips into to the top channel of the bar to disturb the air flow and reduce the noise. I bet the same stuff would fit the Rivian bars since they are apparently made by Yakima.

On the R1T, I haven't needed any of the above as I just leave the crossbars over the truck bed.

Deleted member 11292

The problem is that there's no roof sunscreen. I keep the crossbars on our X5 and almost never open the sunscreen because it's too loud when I do.

HJP1

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (sold) Lexus LS460, Cadillac XT5, Lexus IS500
Occupation
retired
Mine are on the bed and have notice some wind noise but never attributed that to the crossbars, aways thought and sounded like it was coning from windows. I will remove them and see if there is a difference.
Sponsored