First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Went to a car wash with a conveyor belt today. The worker there put my R1S in the car wash mode, put the drive mode in N, left the key fob inside the car, and buckle the seatbelt (with no-one sitting in it).

Guess what, the car locked itself when it came out on the other side. The door could not be opened by pressing the divot and pull. My key card could not open the door. The app said my car was "In Use" and did not present the unlock or any functions. So the car got stuck at the exiting end. It needed about six people to push a 7k lbs car out of the way, maybe 20 feet, and sat in the middle of the parking lot where people dry and vacuum cars.

I got on the phone with Rivian support and I explained the situation. He walked me thru a few things but didn't help. He then talked to his support team, no luck. He then tried remote unlocking my car, no luck. The car thought someone was inside the car and preventing all other accesses to unlock the door.

Finally, Rivian dispatched a Pop-a-lock service. The guy put a couple of the hand-squeezed pillow on the window gap; pumped until he had a gap to stick a metal stick inside and press-opened the window. A worker there then reached in for the key fob... then since the key fob is out, it could unlock the door.

I asked the worker why they buckle the seatbelt and he said that is a standard procedure when using car wash mode; I was just thinking maybe Tesla requires that and I told him he shouldn't do it with a Rivian because it thinks someone is inside. I spent a good hour and half there; thanks to the Pop-a-lock that showed up within 10 min., I could be there much longer.

From now on... I'm going to hand wash my own car.... ONLY.
Sponsored

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

.... and buckle the seatbelt (with no-one sitting in it).
This part baffles me, both on the car wash side and on the Rivian side. For the car wash, in what scenario would anyone buckle an empty seat? What does that gain or prevent?

For Rivian, what logic is it to prevent a door from opening with a seat belt buckled with no one in the seat? There's also a camera for driver monitoring in place that should in theory be able to detect if someone is using the vehicle.

I hope this is not another case of over-engineering an existing mechanism. Sorry to hear your troubles. Don't have a Rivian (yet) but is there a manual physical key that could be used?

OP
OP
BeanEW

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
This part baffles me, both on the car wash side and on the Rivian side. For the car wash, in what scenario would anyone buckle an empty seat? What does that gain or prevent?

For Rivian, what logic is it to prevent a door from opening with a seat belt buckled with no one in the seat? There's also a camera for driver monitoring in place that should in theory be able to detect if someone is using the vehicle.

I hope this is not another case of over-engineering an existing mechanism. Sorry to hear your troubles. Don't have a Rivian (yet) but is there a manual physical key that could be used?
I believe the camera pointing to the driver only activated when the car is in Highway Assist mode.

About what you said on over-engineering... funny that I was thinking "technology really screwed me this time!" several times.

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T MB/BM, 2023 Tesla model X.
Occupation
MD
I think the seatbelt issue could be problematic. What happens if you have a medical emergency while driving alone and you have your seatbelt on? They’ll have to break the window (which I now they have to do most of the time in other cars, but at least there is the possibility of having an unlocked door, if lucky)

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
MD
Something that has occurred to me twice is, the car going off car wash mode when washing my car in one of those self wash places. The charging port opened both times. I could have easily sprayed water in there!

Sponsored

OP
OP
BeanEW

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Something that has occurred to me twice is, the car going off car wash mode when washing my car in one of those self wash places. The charging port opened both times. I could have easily sprayed water in there!
Wow, that's not good... you may want to have your car checked.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Ive had that happen (car wash mode disengaged on it’s own) twice since the previous update. I reported it.

Didn’t happen when I washed my truck this morning in my driveway.

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
MD
Ive had that happen (car wash mode disengaged on it’s own) twice since the previous update. I reported it.

Didn’t happen when I washed my truck this morning in my driveway.
yes, this happened only after the hooting owl update.

OP
OP
BeanEW

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
I just went to the car and tried different scenarios, buckling the seatbelt would not cause what happened to me today. It was a sequence of instances that would cause the locking out.

First, I don't understand why Rivian programed to lock the doors when put in N drive mode.

The sequence is:
1 - sit in the car, leave the door opened, the car in P.
2 - put the car in N mode:
- if you let go of the Brake, the car would leave N and go back to P and unlock the doors.
- if you close the door and let go of the Brake, the car would stay in N and doors remain locked. But you are in the car, you can P the car to unlock.
- if you don't let go of the Brake and put the car in Car Wash mode. When you let go of the Brake the car remains locked and stays in N. If you close the door at this time, you cannot use your key card or your app to unlock the car (the app would show "in use").

I think this is a programming issue; I'll report it to my Rivian Guide.

Last edited:

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
I haven't been through a car wash yet, but I was super annoyed to find out that if either of the front seatbelts is buckled it thinks someone is in the car, regardless of no weight on the seat. I had hoped to find a way to defeat the obnoxious seatbelt chime by using an extender so it wouldn't ding at me the second I got in and instinctively touched the brakes. Unfortunately I realized my error when I returned to my frosty car in the middle of FL summer because it had been on, unlocked, and running the AC all day.

Sponsored

TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

I just went to the car and tried different scenarios, buckling the seatbelt would not cause what happened to me today. It was a sequence of instances that would cause the locking out.

First, I don't understand why Rivian programed to lock the doors when put in N drive mode.

The sequence is:
1 - sit in the car, leave the door opened, the car in P.
2 - put the car in N mode:
- if you let go of the Brake, the car would leave N and go back to P and unlock the doors.
- if you close the door and let go of the Brake, the car would stay in N and doors remain locked. But you are in the car, you can P the car to unlock.
- if you don't let go of the Brake and put the car in Car Wash mode. When you let go of the Brake the car remains locked and stays in N. If you close the door at this time, you cannot use your key card or your app to unlock the car (the app would show "in use").

I think this is a programming issue; I'll report it to my Rivian Guide.
It appears from the notes on the 43.0 update that they have addressed this issue thanks to RJs dad. We just need to wait for the next update.

see pic from @JizJizJiz

Rivian R1T R1S Car Wash Mode Locked Me Out 58148C12-F921-49A5-8A65-6B9306A78F89

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Where was your phone?

Why did you leave the key fob inside?

100% use error.

Rivian R1T R1S Car Wash Mode Locked Me Out IMG_20221122_064054

OP
OP
BeanEW

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
I haven't been through a car wash yet, but I was super annoyed to find out that if either of the front seatbelts is buckled it thinks someone is in the car, regardless of no weight on the seat. I had hoped to find a way to defeat the obnoxious seatbelt chime by using an extender so it wouldn't ding at me the second I got in and instinctively touched the brakes. Unfortunately I realized my error when I returned to my frosty car in the middle of FL summer because it had been on, unlocked, and running the AC all day.
When I tested the scenario last night, I found that the seatbelt played nothing in my case, the seatbelt theory was an early assumption.

OP
OP
BeanEW

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Where was your phone?

100% use error.

IMG_20221122_064054.gif
I had the phone.

The key fob was in the car because the car wash workers needed to drive it to the conveyor belt.

100% not an use error! If Rivian allows this to happen.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Where was your phone?

100% use error.
Nope, not user error at all. OP said that he had the key card and it did not work. It's reasonable to assume that if you have the key card in hand, it would actually WORK.
Sponsored