Captain Chairs Not an Option

michaelural

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
As a parent of 3 children I think Rivian would attract more buyers if they offered two captain chairs in the second row and three seats in the third row. Does anyone agree? I'm considering the gas-powered Yukon just for this configuration.
Sponsored

OP
OP

michaelural

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
Their chat representatives confirmed that they will not offer it.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Yes, they would be nice. It's understandable though that they don't want the added production complexity of two different styles of second row seats.

MuttB

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, 4runner
Its the only pitfall I have with the whole vehicle. When you got carseats, you need that pass through

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Supposedly the 2nd row is on rails, and can slide forward/back, with access to the 3rd row with car seats

Sponsored

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
As a parent of 3 children I think Rivian would attract more buyers if they offered two captain chairs in the second row and three seats in the third row. Does anyone agree? I'm considering the gas-powered Yukon just for this configuration.
4 kids here: 1 bucket, 1 forward harness and 2 boosters. Rivian indicated the 2nd row bench will have the car seat safe tilt feature (See the thread on latch points with the CAD drawing) - even better than a passthrough IMO, it allows you to put 3 in the second row and get more cargo space when you need it.

As for 3 in the third row, thats more an issue of overall size and design...Will probably have to wait for GM/Ford to switch their full size SUVs to EV to get that...

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
The new Grand Cherokee L is worth a look too. 3-row, captains chairs for the 2nd row, looks really well-appointed (massage front seats is one of the standouts that Rivian does not offer), and it's a Jeep. The top-of-line Summit trim starts at $60k, but there are upcharges for some drivers' assistance features, premium sound, and a more powerful engine.

If there was a plug-in hybrid version I'd definitely have my head turned ...

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
The new Grand Cherokee L is worth a look too. 3-row, captains chairs for the 2nd row, looks really well-appointed (massage front seats is one of the standouts that Rivian does not offer), and it's a Jeep. The top-of-line Summit trim starts at $60k, but there are upcharges for some drivers' assistance features, premium sound, and a more powerful engine.

If there was a plug-in hybrid version I'd definitely have my head turned ...
I know Jeep only confirmed the new non L version will have a PHEV...,but I would think it should become an option on the L at some point.

Speaking of a PHEV with massage seats and a passthrough/captain chairs second row setup, what about the Aviator Grand Touring?

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I know Jeep only confirmed the new non L version will have a PHEV...,but I would think it should become an option on the L at some point.

Speaking of a PHEV with massage seats and a passthrough/captain chairs second row setup, what about the Aviator Grand Touring?
Hadn't seen that one before - upon first glance it looks like it could be a good option. The only major drawbacks I see are starting price (right at the Explore R1S level) and pretty much no off-road chops. The electric-only mileage of 21 is also on the low side.

riviak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
4 kids for us as well. Agreed, lack of 2nd row captain chair option very disappointing. Works so much better. Maybe will have to wait for RJ to have a couple more kids before that gets rolled out.

I chat w CS weekly about this topic and they aren't even pretending that it will be considered any more. Definitely not for launch. Might have to be a model X or XC90 recharge/EV for us and watch where Rivian goes w this.

Sponsored

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Three kids here and I have always made sure to get our SUVs with the three seats across in the middle. I know a lot of people like the captains chairs so they can keep the kids separated and so they can access the third row without folding a seat. I want all the kids there so I can fold down the third row for max gear, cargo, and the Labrador.

BoisVert

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A truck
This is the only thing holding me up from pulling the trigger. The Jeep GCL Overland is a very attractive option right now because of this.
Sponsored