Sponsored

Cancelling R1T Preorder - Reasons

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
@ohmman sorry to hear you're out of the R1T circle of trust (that Rivian will deliver), but I can totally understand your reasons.

Again, sounds like you've managed well enough without an R1T towing your airstream, so all the better to stay the course and opt out of the waiting game that we're all playing.

Makes sense, I just can't help but feel you'll be missing out, and getting a R1T down the road regardless (hopefully sooner then later).

Till then✌

dirtdiver

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord Hybrid, F350, Volt
Occupation
Engineer
I plan to continue to tow using my F350 diesel. I just put another 18ea 270w solar panels on my property to offset my upcoming e-truck purchase. About $12K for the 18 panels although I installed them myself on a ground mount. Given they will last ~20 years, more solar is pretty cheap compared to trying to wring more efficiency out of an electric vehicle. I guess if you had limited space to add more panels then you would be in a different situation.

Also why not milk your deposit to the bitter end? What is the rush?

Bigeasy70075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Tundra, Wrangler
Just get a new airstream. They are starting to produce airstreams with their own battery and motor specifically for towing with electric vehicles.

OP
OP
ohmman

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
I plan to continue to tow using my F350 diesel. I just put another 18ea 270w solar panels on my property to offset my upcoming e-truck purchase. About $12K for the 18 panels although I installed them myself on a ground mount. Given they will last ~20 years, more solar is pretty cheap compared to trying to wring more efficiency out of an electric vehicle. I guess if you had limited space to add more panels then you would be in a different situation.

I've got 10kW of PV on the house and am adding another 8kW or so in the coming months. Are you grid-tied? If so, keep your eye on what the proposed NEM 3.0 means for your installation when you grandfather out.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Just get a new airstream. They are starting to produce airstreams with their own battery and motor specifically for towing with electric vehicles.
They’ve produced a rendering at this point. Don’t hold your breath.

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
First, I want to say that I am not here to complain about anything Rivian is doing or has done. This isn't a rant on Rivian in the least. It's just an explanation of where I am for anyone who feels like reading it.

I've really been looking forward to my R1T. I enjoyed my test drive at the First Mile event and have a lot of respect for the thoughtfulness of the vehicle. It's a well designed, great looking truck that hits a sweet spot on size and power. So why am I canceling my 8/25/20 preorder? Timing, mainly, but also efficiency.

The primary reason for my purchase was to replace or supplement our Model X in towing our Airstream. We've been EV towing since early 2017 and while our LR+ Model X has plenty of range to get us around, I was looking for something that could also get me to remote trailheads once we were at camp. I also liked the idea of bed storage for those trips so that we're not loading the trailer with our toys.

All of that said, towing a travel trailer comfortably requires the max pack, which is what I had on order. It's absolutely possible without it, but I've towed with my old X that didn't have the 370+ miles of range the new one does, and it can be discomfiting and logistically taxing to do so. Add on battery degradation, elevation gain, and cold weather range loss and things get even tighter. With our old X, we charged to 100% more times than I'd have liked, and flirted with the bottom 5% just as often. Those are pretty harmful things to do to a battery and our range degradation confirmed this for us.

My R1T max pack is at least a year away. In the year and a half that I've had a preorder for the R1T, my kids have grown a year and a half older, and they'll be another year (at least) older by the time we get the max pack. We aren't camping as much as they get older and my son will be of driving age by the time the R1T arrives. It's just sadly timed out of being a good fit.

There is one other important factor that has always nagged me, but wasn't enough to make me cancel my reservation earlier. That is the efficiency level of the vehicle. I have a sizable PV array and try to offset our consumption with that array. I am all but certain that I'd be driving our Model X around town for local trips when given the option of it or the R1T, mostly in the name of energy consumption. The R1T is necessarily a heavy and relatively inefficient EV. The max pack version will be even more so, specifically with regards to weight.

So, sadly, I couldn't find a way forward with this very cool vehicle. I've decided to replace my S with a Model Y. The good news is that everyone behind me is likely to get theirs just a little sooner. I'm still a fan!
That all makes sense. I am also a little dismayed about the incredibly low efficiency ratings for it (R1S). It’s big and powerful but so is the Model X. I guess those big wheels and 4 motors and it’s slightly bigger size than the X cost quite a bit in efficiency. I live in So CA so hopefully we use more renewable energy.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
That all makes sense. I am also a little dismayed about the incredibly low efficiency ratings for it (R1S). It’s big and powerful but so is the Model X. I guess those big wheels and 4 motors and it’s slightly bigger size than the X cost quite a bit in efficiency. I live in So CA so hopefully we use more renewable energy.
It's also shaped like a brick rather than an egg. ?‍♂

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
This.
@ohmman canceling an R1 preorder is a function of needing/ wanting your $1k back at least in my mind. Who knows what will happen in the next year or two. Preorders can be canceled at any time up to the end of the 7 day/ 1000 mile window but cannot be repurchased. I have 3 EV's on preorder I will 100% not be buying all 3 but will cancel zero of them until I am forced into the choice of cancel or purchase. Great, now this forum has lowered me to providing unsolicited internet advice. Your case is at least logical unlike the "I'm canceling because it's not here yet" camp that has no comparable alternative.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It's also shaped like a brick rather than an egg. ?‍♂
I'm a bit surprised as well as to all this talk of poor efficiency. These vehicles were designed to be a truck and SUV for active folks first. If efficiency were the primary conern they'd have built something like the Model Y or Mach E which are both fairly low to the groud "egg shaped" cross overs selling like crazy. Over time with more in house parts maybe they can increase efficiency by reducing weight or increasing energy density but assuming the purpose won't change it's going to be as svelt as a UPS truck.

Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
They’ve produced a rendering at this point. Don’t hold your breath.
I think Airstream is pretty serious about seeking ways to improve their travel trailers with EV tow vehicles in mind. In this article Airstream talkings about wind tunnel testing...things like removing the air conditioners from the rooftop and enclosing the entire belly to improve aero even more.

https://www.airstream.com/blog/airs...r-g&utm_content=198773798&utm_source=hs_email

dirtdiver

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord Hybrid, F350, Volt
Occupation
Engineer
I've got 10kW of PV on the house and am adding another 8kW or so in the coming months. Are you grid-tied? If so, keep your eye on what the proposed NEM 3.0 means for your installation when you grandfather out.
Yes grid tied. I know about that proposal. What a bunch of crap. It is a total disincentive to buy solar. :-(

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Well, I am holding until its D-Day. I just need a 7 seat SUV that is EV, and not a Tesla ( The X third row was unusable for my situation). If another product comes on the market, I'll cancel. Otherwise, I have no reason not to wait. I would think similar circumstances apply to the R1T.

So, why don't you wait and keep the deposit? Unless you really need the 1K.

Worst case scenario, get it, and re-sell it for profit :)

OP
OP
ohmman

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
Regarding keeping the reservation - I haven’t yet canceled it and I don’t need the money. I have decided to get a Model Y, though, and won’t need another car. There is some value to “moving on” mentally as well, but the points mentioned are valid input.

I don’t plan to flip my reservation or the truck for a profit, though. No judgement for others who do, but those actions leave a bad taste in my mouth considering how many people have waited in line in the traditional sense.

Bernard

First Name
Bernard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
True, but it's not going to beat the 280Wh/mi figure I'm getting out of the X no matter what is done. It may get down to the 430Wh/mi range with careful driving. It's a necessity for the shape and weight of the vehicle, not criticizing, just observing.
Thank you very much for what you share. I have reserved a Rivian R1T max pack as well for towing a 28 feet Airstream that I will receive in July 2022. What is the size of your Airstream? Do you tow with your model X base on its front and rear axles gross weight limits with a weight distribution or with its towing figures provided by Tesla? Have you change the original hich? I am considering the model X…. Before an internal combustion engine vehicle… Looking forward for your feed back. Regards, Bernard
Sponsored