Sponsored

Can we stop asking for CarPlay now? "The next generation of Apple CarPlay will take over all of the screens, sensors and gauges in a car..."

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
This is true of many automakers. Imagine having to pay for the internet in a third space (at home, on your phone, and in your car). Some are even toying with the idea of creating their own app stores. The app stores would sell you the same stuff you already have access to on your phone. Wheee, isn’t corrupt Capitalism fun?
That's essentially what's going to happen with Sirius/Rivian integration. In order to use the built-in app I would have to pay for another VIN-based account specific to the Rivian instead of being able to use the Sirius streaming account I already pay for. AA lets me do this for no additional cost.

I don't blame the automakers for trying to make more money, but I don't like it when they do it under the guise of 'safety' and 'protecting us from the google/apple hegemony.'
Sponsored

Last edited:

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
If you were a developer and were forced to conform to a monopoly by paying a higher portion of your profits, then I believe your stance may adjust.
I do agree with that for the App Store. But the watch and other hardware it’s a crazy lawsuit. Why does Apples watch have to work with android phones?

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Thank you! If you want AA/CarPlay, get a damn Kia. Rivian is a luxury vehicle company and actually cares about the UI/UX in the vehicle and isn't lazily pushing a quality experience onto PHONE developers!
This is misguided thinking. Plenty of luxury vehicles have access to AA/CP and still have a native user interface that is excellent overall. Having both is about choice. I can use my native system (including an excellent navigation system) or I can use something on my phone such as Waze or Google Maps if I choose. But either way, the experience is excellent and having the choice is even better.

Sponsored

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

I do agree with that for the App Store. But the watch and other hardware it’s a crazy lawsuit. Why does Apples watch have to work with android phones?
It's an ecosystem issue the same way the railroads, windows or any other monopoly works. Apple is intentionally keeping someone with an Apple watch to purchase an iPhone. Therefore, once you're in that ecosystem, choice goes down, prices go up and innovation is stifled. The best product doesn't win anymore and the one player dictates what's best for everyone. A free market system will come to a halt in this scenario.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

If you were a developer and were forced to conform to a monopoly by paying a higher portion of your profits, then I believe your stance may adjust.
That issue was already litigated with the Epic-Apple lawsuit. Apple won.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I view green bubble people as inferior because the green indicates they had the poor judgement to use Android, not because of the bubbles themselves.
As an Android user, I have no idea if others are using Anroid or Apple. Why is that? Well, because Android doesn't do anything at all to degrade the user experience, unlike Apple. So everything works perfect for me, but not for Apple users. For example, when I send a picture or video to an Apple phone, they see it in low resolution and/or small and grainy. Yet when Apple users do the same to me, I see it perfectly without any issues. This is why I would never switch to Apple.

Oh, and Android can do things that just aren't possible on iOS. That's another reason why I'm an Android user.

Last edited:

Chris TX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model S, Volt
Clubs

This is misguided thinking. Plenty of luxury vehicles have access to AA/CP and still have a native user interface that is excellent overall. Having both is about choice. I can use my native system (including an excellent navigation system) or I can use something on my phone such as Waze or Google Maps if I choose. But either way, the experience is excellent and having the choice is even better.
But the request is that Rivian add this functionality (and support it) to their existing UI/UX team. And as others have noted, AA 2.0 is super intrusive and restrictive, being all or nothing. This would jeopardize Rivian's loving relationship with Amazon, who helps pay the bills.

Rivian doesn't need to add AA/CP to sell cars. It's a distraction, at best.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

As an Android uses, I have no idea if others are using Anroid or Apple. Why is that? Well, because Android doesn't do anything at all to degrade the user experience, unlike Apple. So everything works perfect for me, but not for Apple users. For example, when I sent a picture or video, they see it in low resolution and/or small and grainy. Yet when Apple users do the same to me, I see it perfectly without any issues. This is why I would never switch to Apple.
But if an apple user sends you a message it is sent as an SMS, supposedly that means lower quality images/videos because of the technology used to send you the message. If you received a low quality video from an iPhone user would you assume that iPhones are low quality? That is what this lawsuit is alleging but in reverse.

Sponsored

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

That issue was already litigated with the Epic-Apple lawsuit. Apple won.
That was a totally different issue. The new AGs aren't litigating that case. This is a rare bipartisan issue. I'm a Pixel/Windows user, but both Google and Microsoft are monopolists in their own right. Competition is good for everyone (even the losers).

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
But the request is that Rivian add this functionality (and support it) to their existing UI/UX team. And as others have noted, AA 2.0 is super intrusive and restrictive, being all or nothing. This would jeopardize Rivian's loving relationship with Amazon, who helps pay the bills.

Rivian doesn't need to add AA/CP to sell cars. It's a distraction, at best.
All I'm saying is that both can exist simultaneously. And there are plenty of people who will not considering buying a vehicle that doesn't have AA/CP integration. There's lots of data on this. And that means lost sales. Fortunately, there seems to be aftermarket solutions for those who really want AA/CP in a vehicle that doesn't have it natively, so maybe it's not a totally lost cause.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

That was a totally different issue. The new AGs aren't litigating that case. This is a rare bipartisan issue. I'm a Pixel/Windows user, but both Google and Microsoft are monopolists in their own right. Competition is good for everyone (even the losers).
I understand that but you were commenting about app store fees which is what I was saying was already litigated.

boxedlunch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Preorder R1S
It's an ecosystem issue the same way the railroads, windows or any other monopoly works. Apple is intentionally keeping someone with an Apple watch to purchase an iPhone. Therefore, once you're in that ecosystem, choice goes down, prices go up and innovation is stifled. The best product doesn't win anymore and the one player dictates what's best for everyone. A free market system will come to a halt in this scenario.
An interesting, if flawed opinion. Apple's ecosystem is the product. If you don't like it, nobody's stopping other companies from building and competing their own.

MookieMV

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Artist
Perhaps, but what does Apple gain and what would Rivian have to give up?
For one thing Apple takes all of a driver's personal data, like precise car location and driving behavior as part of the contract installing car play. Personally, as much as I might like some of Apple's features, I don't need them invading my privacy (without consent) and forcing me into their eco-system even more than they already do. Pass.
Sponsored