First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Never used Alexa, probably never will either. It's a frickin' car; why do I need to talk to robot? You can do everything you need to in your Rivian without Alexa. Just forget it's there and move on.
It's not about it being there. It's about what it's displacing.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jerm

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Systems Engineer
This. It's easier to change whatever I need to change manually and it's an extra bonus I'm not opting in to big brother listening into all my private conversations. Hey wiretap, record my speech and upload it to amazon for me.
If that was their goal, they don't need Alexa called out for it.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
If that was their goal, they don't need Alexa called out for it.
Im not sure what you mean. Alexa works by listening to and recording your conversations. I don’t see the point in opting into that.

OP
OP

Jerm

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Systems Engineer

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Last edited:

Sponsored

Hayden123982

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Honda CRV
Alexa is hit or miss for me. Primarily misses, but I do wish I could open my garage with her. Just to save a few taps on my screen while driving up

OP
OP

Jerm

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Systems Engineer
It seems as though RJ is avoiding being beholding to Apple.
Which I could totally understand... though I don't think he would be. I view it as being beholden to his customers, but just slow to warm to the reality of it. Rivian wouldn't be the first car maker to think their proprietary interface was somehow superior and their customers would not clamor for an AA or CP option, only to ultimately give in and admit the huge advantages of yielding this domain to Google and Apple. Every. Single. Carmaker. (and there are many) that now has AA/CP standard was once a holdout, thinking they could do it better. The most pretentious among them held out the longest. e.g. Porche, BMW, etc. But eventually, even they caved to the reality.
Now more recently, you have GM talking about going the other direction in their EVs. Ignore the clear market demand- good idea, GM.
https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/4/23669523/gm-apple-carplay-android-auto-ev-restrict-access
If Rivian appears beholden to anyone though, it's certainly Amazon. How many other cars do you see out there integrating Alexa? Ever wonder why?

OP
OP

Jerm

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Im not sure what you mean. Alexa works by listening to and recording your conversations. I don’t see the point in opting into that.
What I mean is that doing things manually does not remove the microphone or Alexa from the vehicle. So if the notion is that they are somehow nefarious in their intent, doing operations manually does nothing to thwart them.
Personally, I'm not worried about that aspect- I just wish it was better at its job.

Reactions: sub

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
You assume that it doesn't listen/record if you don't opt-in?

I think it always listens/records. You only get the illusion of "opt-in" to get some (very little) functionality in return. But as long as it can hear, Amazon is mining your data.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
You assume that it doesn't listen/record if you don't opt-in?

I think it always listens/records. You only get the illusion of "opt-in" to get some (very little) functionality in return. But as long as it can hear, Amazon is mining your data.
No I don’t think so. There’s a huge difference legally between opting in by using a service and doing it without permission. That whole constitution thing and the fact that it’s illegal to record without at least one party knowledge in most states.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jerm

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Systems Engineer
No I don’t think so. There’s a huge difference legally between opting in by using a service and doing it without permission. That whole constitution thing and the fact that it’s illegal to record without at least one party knowledge in most states.
It doesn't send your private conversations anywhere unless it is activated.
https://www.the-ambient.com/guides/... record you all,speaker detects the wake word.
But if you don't trust that to be the case, I'm not sure why you'd trust that it wouldn't do it without you opting in either.

Reactions: sub

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Because if they do it without opting in it is a crime.
It's a crime if you or I were to do it. But if a big corporation does it, they'll get away with calling it a bug and at most receive a fine that represents 1% of the profit they made from that "bug".

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
It's a crime if you or I were to do it. But if a big corporation does it, they'll get away with calling it a bug and at most receive a fine that represents 1% of the profit they made from that "bug".
Nah. That's a big violation. They get sued for grey area stuff, this isn't grey.

OP
OP

Jerm

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Because if they do it without opting in it is a crime.
If you haven't triggered it with a wake word, it's a crime to listen to your private conversations period. "Opting in" is not giving it permission to send any and all audio to the cloud. Also, it is clearly indicating when it is activated.
Sponsored