Sponsored

Can I get the option to replace the charging port on my upcoming R1S with the Tesla's North American Charging Standard (NACS) port?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

No.

p3ck

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I understand your request.... but there is a lot more work to switching then just the plug that you see.. *IF* you see this it won't be on the current R1 Models..

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Not sure why that would be an advantage, since you wouldn't be able to publicly L3 charge it anywhere as of today.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I understand your request.... but there is a lot more work to switching then just the plug that you see.. *IF* you see this it won't be on the current R1 Models..
If Tesla didn't combine the DC and AC pins it'd be trivial to change it out. Tesla suggests using the same protocol for communications that CCS uses. It does not make it compatible with the Tesla superchargers since that's still proprietary until Tesla opens that up as well.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Can I get the option to replace the charging port on my upcoming R1S with the Tesla's North American Charging Standard (NACS) port?
No. And it's not a "standard" just because they call it that.

You can currently use the Tesla destination chargers with an adapter. You can't use the Tesla superchargers, even if you had an "NACS" receptacle, and no one except Tesla can fix that situation.

Last edited:

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Tesla wants other EVs to adopt this standard so that they can get infrastructure money without opening their network to all EVs. Hope no manufacturer goes along and everyone can get on the Tesla network with an adaptor. The whole notion of proprietary adaptors is like having proprietary nozzles at gas stations...not good for the consumer and not something that the government should subsidize.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Tesla wants other EVs to adopt this standard so that they can get infrastructure money without opening their network to all EVs. Hope no manufacturer goes along and everyone can get on the Tesla network with an adaptor. The whole notion of proprietary adaptors is like having proprietary nozzles at gas stations...not good for the consumer and not something that the government should subsidize.
It's true, and Aptera already took the bait or whatever else Tesla might have bribed them with. And the way the law is written that might be enough to get them the money right there. It just needs to be "more than one" manufacturer using it.:confused:

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
And again, it's not a "standard" just because that word is in the name. It meets absolutely none of the criteria for being a Standard, and I find it highly unlikely that any government contracting officer will determine that a bid which includes only Tesla connections will meet the contract requirements for a standard plug. This is still a proprietary specification that Tesla has complete control over, even if they "let" other people use it. And it is only a physical specification which does not encompass any of the communications/authentication/authorization protocols used by the superchargers, which again remain in Tesla's complete control.

Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

No.

Just, no.

Stop trying to make "NACS" happen.

(That ship sailed long ago. Perhaps if Tesla had done this 5 years ago, before the rash of 2019-present releases came out.)

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

It's true, and Aptera already took the bait or whatever else Tesla might have bribed them with. And the way the law is written that might be enough to get them the money right there. It just needs to be "more than one" manufacturer using it.:confused:
Nah, Aptera's founder is just a Tesla-stan and said they were going to do it. Tesla technically offered up their connector *years* ago "for free" but with some requirements no big company would accept. Aptera's very public "MAKE TESLA THE STANDARD!" push earlier this year just lit a fire under Muskrat to do this "NACS" nonsense.

Plus the fact that the Inflation Reduction Act's money for public chargers just says the chargers "must be an open standard supported by more than one company" - so by Tesla "making NACS", combined with Aptera committing to use it - voila. Now Tesla can get some of that sweet government cheddar, without having to add CCS to their Supercharger stations (as had been rumored for months.)

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Can't fault Tesla for trying to slip this one through but it's a terrible use of government money to subsidize Tesla chargers.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I keep having to repeat this in every thread discussing the BIL’s grants for EV charging:

Although the statute itself doesn’t specify CCS as a requirement for the BIL’s state grant programs, it did give authority to the Secretary of Transportation to promulgate rules about the implementation of the grants. And he did. And those rules require CCS. Period. There’s no chance Tesla will get funds for any super chargers they build without including at least 4 CCS connectors per funded site.
Sponsored