Sponsored

Can I get the option to replace the charging port on my upcoming R1S with the Tesla's North American Charging Standard (NACS) port?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Even if they do open it up to Aptera (probably the reward for backing Tesla and allowing federal $ to flow), it’s not like there will ever be a traffic jam of Apteras vs Teslas at a supercharger, or at any other charger for that matter.
I haven't cancelled my Aptera yet, but I am seriously considering just taking out all the NADS equipment in the vehicle when it arrives. Will drive it 100% on solar.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I haven't cancelled my Aptera yet, but I am seriously considering just taking out all the NADS equipment in the vehicle when it arrives. Will drive it 100% on solar.
NADS is the future!

I have always liked what Aptera was TRYING to do, but I still have so many doubts about how functional it is. It looks like the 2 front wheels will fall off the first time it hits a Colorado pothole.

Grabs10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo T8 and f350
They were always going to use it. Tesla just made it easier for them. Using the Telsa supercharging stations will still require some kind of a deal with Tesla. Just having the connector, today, which anyone can do without permission from Tesla, is not adequate to get access to the supercharger network.
Like a deal to the customer has with EA, EV Go and such for the charge.

Tesla open sources its connector. Rivian could use the connector. I like many would prefer it.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
And Elongated Muskrat *JUST* replied to Biden a couple days ago complaining about government spending on chargers!
Well yeah, because it's not being given to Tesla. He feels like he's being snubbed but the truth of the matter is his own guarding of proprietary charging technology is what has caused him to be cut out now. If every other major company is going to use CCS/ J1772 it's only a matter of time before that charging network is built out to be superior to Tesla's. Elon could have secured his place as a major player in charging infrastructure had he opened up the Tesla connector 6-7 years ago.

If he would have allowed competitors to use his superchargers, even for a higher fee, and that would have incentivized other manufacturers to use his chargers. That would have removed much of the push to build out a competing network. Trying to stop competition is a dumb move, as by virtue of building a better product competition is inevitable. Every legacy automaker isn't going to just sit by and let one company be the only ones to make EVs when the market grows every year.

At this point the die has been cast and with government having a hand in it with incentives EV prices are going to come down and Elon is going to have to lower his prices or provide more value which is going to reduce his margin if he wants to stay relevant. He did a great job of basically creating an industry but it will be interesting to see how he competes with others that might be better on the business side of things than him. Personally if I was him I'd be looking for some heavy hitter business people to sit on his board ASAP and start listening to what they say because his moves on charging were really stepping on his own dick.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Tesla wants other EVs to adopt this standard so that they can get infrastructure money without opening their network to all EVs.
I think it's a bit more sinister than that. They want to undermine the growing consensus around the CCS standard and charging network interop. If a major manufacturer caves and adopts NACS, it will be a huge setback to non-Tesla EVs - fragmenting investment in infrastructure, disrupting the current interoperability expectations, etc. The potential federal funding is just icing on the cake.

Sponsored

Thud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Just buy the $150 adapter. Then you can use any Tesla destination charger (not supercharger).

In theory Tesla will add CCS connectors to existing supercharger stations though. In theory. But we're gonna be stuck in dual-standard-land for a while. This reminds of the lightning vs micro-USB days, until USB-C came along.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
There isn’t a Tesla owner I know that likes the idea of opening up the Supercharger network. I think there’s all kinds of reasons to do it, but I think the exclusivity of the network is a huge selling point that diminishes with more vehicles on it.

Now the connector is another story. Sure its more elegant, but if it doesn’t help accelerate the proliferation of reliable DCFC stations, it’s a cost burden. There‘s nothing wrong with the CCS connector other than it looks ugly. I have to plug in both types each night or two and can tell you there’s no benefit of one over the other… they both plug in… charge… and they unplug.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I think it's a bit more sinister than that. They want to undermine the growing consensus around the CCS standard and charging network interop. If a major manufacturer caves and adopts NACS, it will be a huge setback to non-Tesla EVs - fragmenting investment in infrastructure, disrupting the current interoperability expectations, etc. The potential federal funding is just icing on the cake.
It would be hard at this point. Most manufacturers are already building an EV and in the US virtually all of them have settled on the CCS/J1772 connectors. It would be rare to see them split off now and go a different direction.

You have already seen Rivian pushing this standard with their RAN and Waypoint chargers. You have also seen GM‘s recent press release of installing 40k level 2 chargers in middle America to support the buildout.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I'm pretty sure I've already said it in this very thread, but it seems like it cannot be said enough:

Tesla licensing its connector tech to other vehicle manufactures does not make it eligible for BIL funds. No matter what vague text is in the statute, the implementing regulation is very clear on this point: All of those funds will be distributed to states via the NEVI Formula Program. All funds distributed to the states through the NEVI Formula Program must be used by the state directly or through contract(s) to establish alternative fuel corridors. In order to achieve those corridor designations, all federally-funded stations in the corridor must include at least 4 CCS plugs capable of a minimum of 150kW each. They may also include 1 Chademo plug. There is no wiggle room on the CCS issue.

If Tesla gets any funds from the BIL, it will be for stations that have CCS plugs. Period. End of story.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I forgot about the Aptera webinar today but apparently Aptera's launch vehicles are not going to be DC charging capable.

What do the people who think NACS is superior think about that?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I forgot about the Aptera webinar today but apparently Aptera's vehicles are not going to be DC charging capable.

What do the people who think NACS is superior think about that?
That makes Aptera's decision to use the Tesla connector even stranger. J1772 isn't a particularly unwieldy plug on its own. It's the CCS combo version that gets clunky.

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
It's not now, the chargers at hawthorne are still tesla only. Maybe soon. My guess is only v4 whenever they roll them out.
Got it. I meant now as in not 2024. I thought Tesla would slow the roll the heck out of this.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Got it. I meant now as in not 2024. I thought Tesla would slow the roll the heck out of this.
I still think they are/will by only doing v4 stations with IRA funding initially and not offering an adapter. Just my opinion though.
Sponsored