Occupation
Farmer
Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Nothing yet. There are other threads about this floating around.
Some rumour that the bedrails can’t support something like the “feet” on racks like the yakima ones.

OP
OP

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Nothing yet. There are other threads about this floating around.
Some rumour that the bedrails can’t support something like the “feet” on racks like the yakima ones.
Thanks. Tried searching and didn’t see anything. I might make myself a Guinea pig if I can find a local place with a nice return policy but my guess is if the Yakima worked they would have already said it.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Thanks. Tried searching and didn’t see anything. I might make myself a Guinea pig if I can find a local place with a nice return policy but my guess is if the Yakima worked they would have already said it.
You could do what @Dark-Fx did and roll your own. Put the crossbars on the bed, use the t slot to add height.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

You could do what @Dark-Fx did and roll your own. Put the crossbars on the bed, use the t slot to add height.
Just as a warning, the awning I had tied into the top of cab rail and using 4040 off the bed rails started to migrate rearward slightly. We went camping this weekend when I noticed it. Haven't attempted to fix it yet, but should just be a matter of loosening the awning, pushing forward, and re-cinching everything down.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Just as a warning, the awning I had tied into the top of cab rail and using 4040 off the bed rails started to migrate rearward slightly. We went camping this weekend when I noticed it. Haven't attempted to fix it yet, but should just be a matter of loosening the awning, pushing forward, and re-cinching everything down.
Thanks for the heads up. Among other things, I’d like to carry some things like lumber and ladders so this is probably asking for trouble.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

@wicked2112 can comment if he would like as a Yakima rep. My understanding is Rivian wanted this accessory and the Yakima solution wouldn’t work for the reason @CommodoreAmiga mentions.

I too hope an aftermarket solution comes along, even better a cab height topper.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I would consider a solution that ties the bed rails in with the top rails as one solid piece, that has cross support for the towers. I wouldn't trust something without the cross support between tall tower rails, there is just way too much leverage against the latching system.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
This brings me back to one of my main concerns - the limitations of the Rivian mounting system. Cool and handy for their crossbars, BUT….. At least, for now, there does not seem to be a way to mount a real roof or cargo rack. This, IMHO, is a major issue. My concerns are more with the R1S I hope to get, some day. However, lots of people like to mount racks of different configurations and sizes on the pickups, to meet their particular needs. With the R1’s, they are out of luck, for now. For an adventure vehicle, this limitation seems odd.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

This brings me back to one of my main concerns - the limitations of the Rivian mounting system. Cool and handy for their crossbars, BUT….. At least, for now, there does not seem to be a way to mount a real roof or cargo rack. This, IMHO, is a major issue. My concerns are more with the R1S I hope to get, some day. However, lots of people like to mount racks of different configurations and sizes on the pickups, to meet their particular needs. With the R1’s, they are out of luck, for now. For an adventure vehicle, this limitation seems odd.
This was our setup for the weekend. Worked fine at 80 mph on the freeway(well, obviously with the tent and awning collapsed). Most of the weirdness was probably just due to the awning and my towers settling in. Really should adjust and tighten things down periodically and I just haven't.

Rivian R1T R1S Cab height bed rack? PXL_20220610_230124626

Sponsored

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

@wicked2112 can comment if he would like as a Yakima rep. My understanding is Rivian wanted this accessory and the Yakima solution wouldn’t work for the reason @CommodoreAmiga mentions.

I too hope an aftermarket solution comes along, even better a cab height topper.
You are correct. This was tested and failed. I would not advise anyone to source something after market. You will end up with something you are fully responsible for and will damage the truck.

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

Title says it. I’ve got the OEM set of crossbars for the roof but does any one have a confirmed fit for a rack that can give a level surface over the bed such as this?
https://yakima.com/products/overhau...9.1073862243.1655050698-1615387521.1655050698
Do not use this as it will fail.
Title says it. I’ve got the OEM set of crossbars for the roof but does any one have a confirmed fit for a rack that can give a level surface over the bed such as this?
https://yakima.com/products/overhau...9.1073862243.1655050698-1615387521.1655050698
Please do not use this or anything after market. If you do and it fails, you will be responsible.

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Do not use this as it will fail.

Please do not use this or anything after market. If you do and it fails, you will be responsible.
Which is a huge disappointment for me. Since the bed isn't big, I was really hoping to get a set of roof height racks for the bed for carrying long things like lumber. My son will give me no end of shit because of this. He has a Colorado with a rack. He's building a 16 X 30 shop in his back yard and refuses to pay for lumber delivery. He has hauled every stick of lumber and sheet of OSB with his truck to build it. I can hear him now, The R1T can't carry a 16' 2X6? What a fail.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
This was our setup for the weekend. Worked fine at 80 mph on the freeway(well, obviously with the tent and awning collapsed). Most of the weirdness was probably just due to the awning and my towers settling in. Really should adjust and tighten things down periodically and I just haven't.

PXL_20220610_230124626.jpg
Darn, looks like fun. Wish I was there. Hope you had a good weekend. Unfortunately, that setup does not resolve the issues I would have with those darn crossbars. Heck, in the places I go, if I mounted my MTB on top of my vehicle, I wouldn’t get very far without ripping it right off.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
There‘s got to be some way Rivian can offer optional rack mounting points, for the roof and bed, that will allow for more normal mounting options. Those crossbars and the mounting portals may have a nice gee wiz factor, but fail the true utility/flexibility test. I’m not sure why Rivian decided to over think and over engineer that system. They could have just as easily gone a more conventional route that would suit everybody’s needs. I think many people will want to haul around more than a bike, canoe, surf board, or a one size RTT. This is a truck, after all.
Sponsored