First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
An OpenEVSE can technically be wired with the 60A whip on a 60A outlet with a 60A breaker and rated wiring, because it's a device you "build" yourself. But it still depends on whether or not your local code will allow it, some of them have limitations on outlets at a maximum of 50A.
NEC does not allow plugs bigger than 50A. Chargers with NEMA 14-60 plugs are available but they are not approved for use in the USA and are not UL listed.
Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I am nearing completion on my new house, and opted to wire for two charging circuits. I have a 3 car garage (split 2/1), and placed one outlet on the back wall centered on the two car side with the intent of installing a wall charger there, and one outlet on the inside wall between the garage doors with a 14-50 receptacle. This configuration initially allows one Rivian and one Tesla to be charged in their natural pull-in locations, and provides flexibility in the future for wherever the charge ports end up being located.

hilld

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Cooper SE, Z4, X1
Personally I prefer Nema 6-50 receptacles for a couple of reasons. None of the EVSE's that I have opened up (even with 14-50 plugs) use the neutral wire, just the 2 hots and a ground. That being said, AWG 6 wire is close to $2/foot and why waste it when you don't need it. Even worse if you but Romex 6/3 vs 6/2, a lot more expensive.

In addition, I do quite a bit of welding and all my welders and plasma cutters uses 6-50 plugs. So I am wiring 2 receptacles with 6-50 in different parts of the garage. Actually, I am running conduit with j-boxes so I can use THHN vs. Romex wire. It also gives me flexibility if I really need 14-50 later, I can always run an additional conductor.

Currently building a 1000 ft2 shop with 2 bays and I will have 2 EVSE's in there as we are soon to have 2 EV's (once the Rivian is delivered).

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
Have them install 2x 60A circuits, one for each car/charger. Order 2x third party EV chargers from Emporia or Juice Box and have the electrician install them.

Hardwired EV chargers typically top out at 48A which is the max you can put on a 60A circuit. I think Ford and Lucid are able to run up to 80A on a 100A circuit but frankly that's a bit overkill.

You can do 14-50 outlets but they will max out at 40A output on a 50A circuit.

I have one 14-50 outlet and one hardwired EV charger, I use the 14-50 outlet with my Tesla travel charger and I use the hardware charger for my Rivian.

JaMa

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 LR Defender 110, 2021 Tesla Model YP
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Have them install 2x 60A circuits, one for each car/charger. Order 2x third party EV chargers from Emporia or Juice Box and have the electrician install them.

Hardwired EV chargers typically top out at 48A which is the max you can put on a 60A circuit. I think Ford and Lucid are able to run up to 80A on a 100A circuit but frankly that's a bit overkill.

You can do 14-50 outlets but they will max out at 40A output on a 50A circuit.

I have one 14-50 outlet and one hardwired EV charger, I use the 14-50 outlet with my Tesla travel charger and I use the hardware charger for my Rivian.
I would personally go at least 80a service on each breaker serving an EV, as the wire gauge needs to be higher for the larger amount of power and a lot of companies are moving to faster/fatter pipes to charge. An 80a circuit can supply anything below it, power pulls as power is required so theres no downside to larger circuits. Plus, a lot of the V2G and V2H options from, as you say, Ford and Lucid, want those higher circuit sizes to be able to reverse power a dwelling from an EV.

Just my 2c,
J

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
I would personally go at least 80a service on each breaker serving an EV, as the wire gauge needs to be higher for the larger amount of power and a lot of companies are moving to faster/fatter pipes to charge. An 80a circuit can supply anything below it, power pulls as power is required so theres no downside to larger circuits. Plus, a lot of the V2G and V2H options from, as you say, Ford and Lucid, want those higher circuit sizes to be able to reverse power a dwelling from an EV.

Just my 2c,
J
Good point, better to future proof.

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

It seems that the discussion is all surrounding around the 14-50 plug but there are few other key items for your new home.
2) home integration device (inverter+isolation switch from grid) of some sort that allows you to power your house using your EV battery power. Let your EV be the backup battery pack in an event of a blackout.

3) I have no idea what the electricity rate or monthly cost for MN area but solar panels/roof can really help keep the EV operating cost down so consider that as a part of the new build too.
I think mkg3 has good points here. Include a high rated plug for each car, others have suggested 80a minimum in order to access the Vehicle to House (V2H) options in #2 above.

Definitely consider solar - that's free 'gas' for your vehicles and who can say no to that? I doubt you have less sun than we do here in W Oregon and it's plenty for the panels to pencil out.

And I'd add a whole-house battery. That way you can store your delicious solar power and during the day (when you may be using your vehicle) and pull it when you want without having to rely on net metering (if that exists there) to even out the equation with the power co.

OP
OP
Redline

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

So just a quick update, we've got concepts of our home now, and it's going to move into CAD soon.

I was talking with our future power company at the local State Fair, and I believe I'll end up going with their EV Home charging program.

https://ev.xcelenergy.com/ev-accelerate-at-home-mn

They have two options for chargers. One is 50A, 12kw so I assume I'll go with that.

My question is, what sort of setup should I be looking for, to run two of these in time. We'll start with one for my Rivian, but have another wired for the future.

Thanks!

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
So just a quick update, we've got concepts of our home now, and it's going to move into CAD soon.

I was talking with our future power company at the local State Fair, and I believe I'll end up going with their EV Home charging program.

https://ev.xcelenergy.com/ev-accelerate-at-home-mn

They have two options for chargers. One is 50A, 12kw so I assume I'll go with that.

My question is, what sort of setup should I be looking for, to run two of these in time. We'll start with one for my Rivian, but have another wired for the future.

Thanks!
Wire two 60 amp circuits to the garage. You can put 14-50 plugs on them for now and as long as they are wired (and sized) to support 60 amp, hard-wire them later if desired. Done.

The biggest issue is making sure you have the electrical budget. If it's a gas house, you probably will. If it's not gas, or it's a mcmansion, you might need > 200 amp service.

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/S, Bronco Raptor, Wrangler4xe, Ioniq5, Winbago
Occupation
insurance agent
We're going to be building a new custom home, and I want to have the house ready for both my R1S, and whatever future potential EV we might get to replace my fiancés Rav4 Hybrid.

Our first design meeting is in a month, and the builder already had said they usually build all their homes with dual charging ready to go. I did mention to him I'd probably want the Rivian wall charger for mine, and just have something ready to go for the future other vehicle.

I am very new to the charging dynamics of EVs, so I am curious to those here with more expertise. If you could start from scratch in a new home, what would you have for your charging solutions?

Thanks!
Not sure what else has been said, but besides the obvious outlet / wiring / breaker considerations you might consider a smart panel from Span or Eaton.

https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/comp...rgy-transition/home-as-a-grid/homeowners.html

Sponsored

OP
OP
Redline

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Wire two 60 amp circuits to the garage. You can put 14-50 plugs on them for now and as long as they are wired (and sized) to support 60 amp, hard-wire them later if desired. Done.

The biggest issue is making sure you have the electrical budget. If it's a gas house, you probably will. If it's not gas, or it's a mcmansion, you might need > 200 amp service.
Heating will be gas.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Heating will be gas.
Okay good talk to your electrician and see what the options are for two circuits before you waste any time going further.

I mean worst case it's a new house they could just do 400 amp if it's truly needed it's not that much more in the grand scheme of things

OP
OP
Redline

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Okay good talk to your electrician and see what the options are for two circuits before you waste any time going further.

I mean worst case it's a new house they could just do 400 amp if it's truly needed it's not that much more in the grand scheme of things
Right now we just finished our floorplan concepts. The architect is putting it all into CAD right now. We're still 12 months out from moving in, so I've got time. Our builder is putting hardwiring into garages for EVs in every home they build right now. I haven't discussed exact specifics regarding that, but I will be asking for two 60amp locations.

Fly YX

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R
Occupation
Control Engineer
If you haven’t gotten your vehicles yet you could just run the conduit from the garage next to the panel and have a pull string in it. Conduit is a lot cheaper than wire especially if you’re not going to use it right away. If it’s an extra panel I wouldn’t run it into the panel just in case you have other equipment between the panel and the charger.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
If you haven’t gotten your vehicles yet you could just run the conduit from the garage next to the panel and have a pull string in it. Conduit is a lot cheaper than wire especially if you’re not going to use it right away. If it’s an extra panel I wouldn’t run it into the panel just in case you have other equipment between the panel and the charger.
It seems most panels are in garages these days anyways :)
Sponsored