Sponsored

Boise Idaho Area

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

This thread is for Boise Idaho and surrounding area folks to post anything related to R1T/R1S with the goal of building a Rivian community.
Sponsored

OP
OP
EVTrucking

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

I will kick things off:

Has anyone installed running boards on their R1T? My wife and I are height challenged. We use 'Kneel mode' but that is not quite enough for my wife. It would be great if there was a local installer but I doubt there is. That means that I will need to install them and it would be very helpful if someone nearby has direct experience.

I am leaning towards the EV1 running boards and prefer to not remove the plastic underside covers. I have watched the videos for this type of install but they do not show how to seal the 4" holes drilled into the panels to secure the brackets to the frame. I have heard that they can be sealed using Gorilla Patch or rubber gromets.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Did the service center officially open this week?

YellowR1T

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Air Force
Clubs

I think Boise is LIVE!!!
I have a demo drive booked on Sat 15 JUL 23 at the Rivian Svc Ctr on Five Mile.

Sponsored

twaite

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I will kick things off:

Has anyone installed running boards on their R1T? My wife and I are height challenged. We use 'Kneel mode' but that is not quite enough for my wife. It would be great if there was a local installer but I doubt there is. That means that I will need to install them and it would be very helpful if someone nearby has direct experience.

I am leaning towards the EV1 running boards and prefer to not remove the plastic underside covers. I have watched the videos for this type of install but they do not show how to seal the 4" holes drilled into the panels to secure the brackets to the frame. I have heard that they can be sealed using Gorilla Patch or rubber gromets.
I just had my R1T delivered exactly one week ago. The first thing I did the night of delivery was put on the 1EV Sportline Running Boards. I am really happy with them. I think they look solid. I used the 4" hole method and did by myself in my garage. It did take me probably 4 hours but I was nervous every time I was drilling a hole so took it slow. I did just yesterday add Gorilla Patch over the holes yesterday. It worked fine but wasn't as clean as I hoped but will do the job. I have seen pictures of the rubber grommets and I actually tried that at first but good luck. I have no idea how they did it. There's no way grommets would have fit on my R1T. I definitely recommend the running boards though. If you do get them you will see what I mean on the grommets. I think the gorilla tape is fine but even that wasn't super easy. That stuff is incredibly sticky and not easy to work with under the truck. Overall I am super happy though.

Since I just got the truck and didn't get the powered bed cover which is a bummer and I am not really happy with their manual solution. I actually ordered a Lomax Tri Fold cover which is coming this Friday. We'll see how that goes.

Only had the truck for exactly one week and I couldn't be happier. Hope to see more around the boise area soon now that the Service Center is open.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I am leaning towards the EV1 running boards and prefer to not remove the plastic underside covers.
I have a couple of friends who have installed sliders and have also observed other R1Ts with sliders on them (like EVLander's truck). They've unanimously suggested just taking the plastic covers off as all of the undersides are cleaner now than they were when the covers were on and they were in the process of removing them for their install.

OP
OP
EVTrucking

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

I just had my R1T delivered exactly one week ago. The first thing I did the night of delivery was put on the 1EV Sportline Running Boards. I am really happy with them. I think they look solid. I used the 4" hole method and did by myself in my garage. It did take me probably 4 hours but I was nervous every time I was drilling a hole so took it slow. I did just yesterday add Gorilla Patch over the holes yesterday. It worked fine but wasn't as clean as I hoped but will do the job. I have seen pictures of the rubber grommets and I actually tried that at first but good luck. I have no idea how they did it. There's no way grommets would have fit on my R1T. I definitely recommend the running boards though. If you do get them you will see what I mean on the grommets. I think the gorilla tape is fine but even that wasn't super easy. That stuff is incredibly sticky and not easy to work with under the truck. Overall I am super happy though.

Since I just got the truck and didn't get the powered bed cover which is a bummer and I am not really happy with their manual solution. I actually ordered a Lomax Tri Fold cover which is coming this Friday. We'll see how that goes.

Only had the truck for exactly one week and I couldn't be happier. Hope to see more around the boise area soon now that the Service Center is open.
Thank you for your detailed post. My EV1 running boards are due to be delivered tomorrow and I will go with the Gorilla solution.

Are the running boards wide enough in your opinion? Do they actually make it easier to get in and out of the truck?

I received my R1T 6/27/2022 so I have the auto bed cover. Fortunately it still works but I do expect it to fail sooner or later.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
EVTrucking

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

I have a couple of friends who have installed sliders and have also observed other R1Ts with sliders on them (like EVLander's truck). They've unanimously suggested just taking the plastic covers off as all of the undersides are cleaner now than they were when the covers were on and they were in the process of removing them for their install.
I vacillate between keeping them on or just removing them. I wish I knew what Rivian's justification was for having them. For looks or for something functional. It seems to me that they offer some protection for water spray on wet roads leading to less possibility of rust. They are not water proof and would offer any rust protection in deep water.

I think for now I will keep them on if at possible.

twaite

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Thank you for your detailed post. My EV1 running boards are due to be delivered tomorrow and I will go with the Gorilla solution.

Are the running boards wide enough in your opinion? Do they actually make it easier to get in and out of the truck?

I received my R1T 6/27/2022 so I have the auto bed cover. Fortunately it still works but I do expect it to fail sooner or later.

Thanks again!
I think the running boards are plenty wide in my opinion. I think they work really well. I do have them pulled out as far as they can go but I have debated now pushing them back in as close to see what that is like. It's a difference of I'm guessing 1/2" at best. I haven't done that because I'm honestly just really happy with how they look and work as is and don't want to mess with a good thing.

The only downside to the running boards that I have noticed....which is very minimal... The mirror spotlight that shows the Rivian symbol on the ground by the door gets the top cut off by the running boards. No big deal but I will highlight that. Hopefully that makes sense.

I'm very jealous of your powered tonneau cover. That is such a nice feature.

If you're in the Boise area I would be happy to show you if you were interested in mine.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I vacillate between keeping them on or just removing them. I wish I knew what Rivian's justification was for having them. For looks or for something functional. It seems to me that they offer some protection for water spray on wet roads leading to less possibility of rust. They are not water proof and would offer any rust protection in deep water.

I think for now I will keep them on if at possible.
I have had the exact same questions and was wishing I had someone at RIvian I could ask that would know the answer recently as well.

Baymax

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey, Hyundai Genesis
Occupation
Business Owner
Clubs

This thread is for Boise Idaho and surrounding area folks to post anything related to R1T/R1S with the goal of building a Rivian community.

This is awesome to see more Treasure Valley Rivian owners appearing!! I'm also in the Boise area and looking forward to seeing more R1T, R1S, & EDVs out in the wild! Thanks for creating this thread, @EVTrucking !

Rivian Forums started a new "clubs" feature, and we've created a new Idaho Rivian Club there.

We are also launching an *OFFICIAL* Idaho Rivian Club @ IdahoRivianClub.org that will be an official chapter of Rivian Clubs of America @ RivianClubs.org

Nonetheless, I'm REALLY hoping Rivian will do a "housewarming" party for the Boise SC where owners and preorder holders can gather to kick off the stronger Rivian presence here in the valley!

OP
OP
EVTrucking

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

'Baymax' thank you for your post and setting up the 'Idaho Rivian Club'.

A "house warming" celebration for the Boise SC would be great. A good time to meet the local Rivian owners and the Boise Rivian SC team.

Baymax

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey, Hyundai Genesis
Occupation
Business Owner
Clubs

'Baymax' thank you for your post and setting up the 'Idaho Rivian Club'.

A "house warming" celebration for the Boise SC would be great. A good time to meet the local Rivian owners and the Boise Rivian SC team.
Agreed! I stopped by the service center yesterday and chatted with Eric for a few minutes. They are officially open, but slowly ramping up their staffing and capacity there. Eric is from the Denver SC and is here helping stand up the Boise SC. He said they will probably do some type of meet & greet at the Boise SC once more of the Boise permanent staff are in place.

He also mentioned he was the only one there yesterday because the other staff were in Ketchum. ...and then I remembered the "Billionaire's Summer Camp" is taking place there right now. ๐Ÿค” ๐Ÿ’ก

twaite

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Agreed! I stopped by the service center yesterday and chatted with Eric for a few minutes. They are officially open, but slowly ramping up their staffing and capacity there. Eric is from the Denver SC and is here helping stand up the Boise SC. He said they will probably do some type of meet & greet at the Boise SC once more of the Boise permanent staff are in place.

He also mentioned he was the only one there yesterday because the other staff were in Ketchum. ...and then I remembered the "Billionaire's Summer Camp" is taking place there right now. ๐Ÿค” ๐Ÿ’ก
Thatโ€™s kind of funny. I had an appointment that they had to cancel. I guess Iโ€™ll accept that Bezos and Gates can get priority over me. Ha
Sponsored