Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
This may not be entirely nuts. Considering there could easily be 100+ employees that are very early LE preorder holders Rivian could fill out all June deliveries with employee delivery. This would gain them an extra month before home deliveries started to non-employee preorder holders. Then by September when production hits 600 units/week (hypothetical) open up to factory pick up to ease delivery logistics.
I still think designing the BEV is the easy part. Rivian has been engineering BEV with (X) number of parts for a decade and engineering/ building a factory with (X) times 10,000 parts for half that time. Rivian will face an untold number of challenges and set backs between now and the first customer delivery.
I talked to a few employees at the New York show that all had pre-orders. They told me that they were specifically moved to the BACK of the line since they were employees and they wanted to make sure customers got theirs first. Based on the 'accuracy' of the statements we have gotten at these events, take it with a grain of salt.
Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I talked to a few employees at the New York show that all had pre-orders. They told me that they were specifically moved to the BACK of the line since they were employees and they wanted to make sure customers got theirs first. Based on the 'accuracy' of the statements we have gotten at these events, take it with a grain of salt.
Make customers the guinea pigs for the very first production units. Got it :D.

Jokes aside, I agree that there will be attrition due to a combination of not wanting to be the first, and other financial constraints. Both of those apply to me to some degree - I have some qualms about being amongst the first to own a new vehicle from a new manufacturer. I also have imposter syndrome because this will be the most expensive vehicle I have ever owned by some margin, and will probably be among the top 2 or 3 most expensive vehicles in my neighborhood. My mind keeps going back and forth between yolo and keep calm ... ?

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Make customers the guinea pigs for the very first production units. Got it :D.

Jokes aside, I agree that there will be attrition due to a combination of not wanting to be the first, and other financial constraints. Both of those apply to me to some degree - I have some qualms about being amongst the first to own a new vehicle from a new manufacturer. I also have imposter syndrome because this will be the most expensive vehicle I have ever owned by some margin, and will probably be among the top 2 or 3 most expensive vehicles in my neighborhood. My mind keeps going back and forth between yolo and keep calm ... ?
To counter your cautionary qualms consider: 1. RJ’s ten year engineering investment. Not a recent start up. 2. The fun of being a first adopter in your neighborhood with all the joy-rides that you can give the friends and neighbors. There will be more affordable Rivian’s coming....

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
To counter your cautionary qualms consider: 1. RJ’s ten year engineering investment. Not a recent start up. 2. The fun of being a first adopter in your neighborhood with all the joy-rides that you can give the friends and neighbors. There will be more affordable Rivian’s coming....
All valid considerations! The thought of a neighborhood happy hour + show-and-tell definitely crossed my mind at some point. Also given my preorder date, I will likely be in the latter half of Launch Edition R1S orders, so there will be early reviews from both R1T and R1S customers that will hopefully confirm that the company's engineering prowess has carried through to the final product. Yeah, the pendulum has swung back to yolo :D.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

All valid considerations! The thought of a neighborhood happy hour + show-and-tell definitely crossed my mind at some point. Also given my preorder date, I will likely be in the latter half of Launch Edition R1S orders, so there will be early reviews from both R1T and R1S customers that will hopefully confirm that the company's engineering prowess has carried through to the final product. Yeah, the pendulum has swung back to yolo :D.
3 cheers.

Sponsored

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Clubs

I think I would be fine with employees getting the first few vehicles off the line. Which I guess will be happening in May to meet June delivery to Customers. Yep, me dreaming again.

Rob P

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Range Rover HSE Supercharged, 2014 BMW 650 convertible, 2014 Mercedes C class wife, 4 Dodge Rams trucks for work
Occupation
Own a Landscape and Christmas decorating company
I am holding out for the max battery R1S . My hope is that I will actually get to hear some real feedback and real reviews before I plunk down 90k plus . I figure first or second quarter 2022 but they haven't even announced the max battery R1S so who knows. If some breakthrough battery tech comes out in the next 8 months a may just get my deposit back and wait a few years for next gen batteries with 500 plus mile range.
Sponsored