Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Retired (newspaper reporter)
Clubs

If you don't log in to your account you can see the R1 shop, it's public for everyone. I'd find something there if you like, if not I wouldn't sweat it and just wait.

I suspect they had a rejected max pack at your local delivery center and want it sold before the end of the quarter so are calling everyone within the usual radius of that delivery center who still has an outstanding order to see if they want it. No different from what other dealerships do near the end of quarter and end of year rush periods.
So I went to the shop without logging in and they have almost my exact configuration but a different interior, which I would take. Price $91,000. My price on my configuration is $78,300. How do I get the shop one at basically my price?
Sponsored

Last edited:

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
R1S, dual performance (I’d happily take regular dual but not possible when I configured), large pack, El Cap Granite, 22 inch bright, black mountain. That’s it.
Like you said, Dual was not an option pre-price-hike. So at some point you switched configurations. It is my understanding that the price protection only applies if you purchase a configuration that was available before the price rise. The exception is if you originally had a Max pack R1T then they gave you a special deal if you wanted to switch to Dual Max pack after they canceled the Quad Max, but there was no similar deal for R1S because there was never an R1S Max offered.

So if they are offering you a Dual R1S at a discounted price because you have a pre-price-increase reservation, then I think you should take it. And if they are offering you a discounted price only for some specific configurations, that's your choice whether to take it. But I don't think you are owed a discounted price for your exact configuration, because Dual motor configurations were never price-protected to begin with.

OP
OP

Bristlecone

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Like you said, Dual was not an option pre-price-hike. So at some point you switched configurations. It is my understanding that the price protection only applies if you purchase a configuration that was available before the price rise. The exception is if you originally had a Max pack R1T then they gave you a special deal if you wanted to switch to Dual Max pack after they canceled the Quad Max, but there was no similar deal for R1S because there was never an R1S Max offered.

So if they are offering you a Dual R1S at a discounted price because you have a pre-price-increase reservation, then I think you should take it.
I switched to dual performance (from Quad) when I was told to confirm my configuration. I still get the price protection from my pre-price hike date. My configuration is now priced at $78,300, which is great obviously. I just went into the shop without signing in and my configuration (only difference is forest edge interior instead of black mountain) is $91,000.

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
So I went to the shop without logging in and they have almost my exact configuration but a different interior, which I would take. Price $89,000. My price on my configuration is $78,300. How do I get the shop one at basically my price?
I would email the link to the one in the Shop to your Guide and tell them you're ready to buy that one now at your earlier pricing.

OP
OP

Bristlecone

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

I would email the link to the one in the Shop to your Guide and tell them you're ready to buy that one now at your earlier pricing.
Thanks, just did that. We'll see what happens.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

R1S, dual performance (I’d happily take regular dual but not possible when I configured), large pack, El Cap Granite, 22 inch bright, black mountain. That’s it.
Offer Large pack money for the max pack, what's the worst they can say?

gregtay

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S LS/OC, '21 Escalade, '13 RS5 Cab
This is sitting in the shop. Just ask them to swap out the wheels. Or just buy it and find the 22 brights on craigslist (22" brights are fairly easy to find). Don't wait around just because of the wheels.

Rivian R1T R1S Bait and Switch? 1709662804019

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

I'm a Jan. 2022 pre-order. Oct. '23 locked configuration. Delivery estimate Dec. 23/Jan. 24. Shop access removed. Then delivery estimate vanished. Got a call from a guide this week trying to match me with a vehicle, but nothing even close to my configuration. Suggested a Max pack instead of my large. Then hinted if I didn't take it I'd have to wait until May. I suspect they are just trying to clear unwanted inventory and sell more expensive max packs before finally, grudgingly building what I preordered 26 months ago. This is moving from annoying to infuriating. I never thought I'd say this, but it sure seems that -- at least for people who ordered pre-price increase -- Rivian is behaving like a bait and switch outfit.
I say negotiate and see if you can get something in return for compromising. Many times, hassle contains an opportunity for those who look for it.

OP
OP

Bristlecone

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

This is sitting in the shop. Just ask them to swap out the wheels. Or just buy it and find the 22 brights on craigslist (22" brights are fairly easy to find). Don't wait around just because of the wheels.

1709662804019.png
Working on that. Asked guide to resume my shop access so I can get that car. For some reason that one shows up in shop (I can see it by not signing in to my account) but not on Rivian internal inventory. So there's a meeting today to figure that out. But in the meantime, that one and another I could accept, have both disappeared from the shop. Guide not sure why, whether they were bought, or some other reason. Rivian works in mysterious ways. Ever hopeful here.

Sponsored

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
I can’t figure it out either.
The guide said they could swap wheels but only two vehicles he brought up were a quad and a max. We’ll be using this vehicle for going to our remote cabin which is at 11,400 feet elevation and 6 months of the year we park 2 miles away where the plowing stops and snowshoe in. So a combination of snow tires availability and good range is a must. Hence the 22’s and the dual large.
Similar use case as me.

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT
I didn’t think pre March 2022 pricing applied to the dual motor models because they were announced at the same time as the quad price hike.
Sponsored