First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales
Like many others, I miss the function that exists on may modern cars. When you put the vehicle in reverse, you have the option of having the mirrors tilt down automatically to aide with parking.

I got tired of waiting for Rivian to add the feature via software update.

I created another driver profile by sending an invite to another one of my email addresses. When I accepted the invite I provided the name ā€œBackup Driverā€. Now I have another tab in the Driver Menu named Backup.

I simply switched to the new driver profile and adjusted my mirrors to point where I want them for backing up. Now just before parking, just chose the ā€œBackup Driverā€ Profile and my mirrors tilt down for reversing.

Rivian R1T R1S Automatic Reverse Mirror Tilt workaround using driver profiles IMG_0647
Sponsored

AmpedUp

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Jeep GC, Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Tech
lol. Love the ingenuity. Youā€™d think this feature would be in place but I suspect the cameras are supposed to take its place.

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T RC PDM Max 20ā€ ATs
Occupation
Retired IT
Genius! Absolute Genius!

pangpang77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5, 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier
Occupation
Systems Exec
One of the camera views has the two sides of the car, isnā€™t that easier?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Joints4Sale

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales
I find mirrors work better than cameras. I never used the rearview mirror/camera function in my Chevy Bolt because I found the focal point disorienting.

KubotaTed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150, Bronco, 812, R8, S5, Cayenne,67 Mustang
Occupation
Actuary
Ok - my hatā€™s off to you sir. That has been a frustration of mine and hadnā€™t even given a thought to creating a profile for that.

Hawkjody

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Keep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Physician
This is odd to me - my wifeā€™s BMW iX automatically tilts the mirrors down when backing up - and i cannot figure out how to STOP. that from happening - I hate - especially backing into the garage loose side view of the pillars - donā€™t see this feature as desirable - to each his/her own

Sponsored

Herb

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911, John Deere, 1T max DM Performance
This is odd to me - my wifeā€™s BMW iX automatically tilts the mirrors down when backing up - and i cannot figure out how to STOP. that from happening - I hate - especially backing into the garage loose side view of the pillars - donā€™t see this feature as desirable - to each his/her own
My BMW has a small slider switch on the door armrest near the mirror controls where you cane disable/enable the mirror tilt function.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Our BMW is getting up there in years, but all of our current and former BMWs had a little switch on the driverā€™s arm rest to active / deactivate this. Right next to the ā€œfold my mirrorsā€œ button (for cars with this capability).

Not sure itā€™s the same on your wifeā€™s iX, but itā€™s been that way on all of our BMWs.

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
Also get dirty in winter, especially with road salt.

joey128

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi A8 & Q7, Ford Exc PSD
Occupation
Tech
+1, Love this idea- I'm going to run out and set this up as soon as I'm done typing this. This was one of my early questions to the Rivian Guide that turned into complaint once they told me that this was not possible.....

The tiny camera view that is barely readable especially when the sun glares off the screen is not a suitable replacement.

I really hope Rivian will add this simple feature as an OTA update for those of us who find this feature invaluable.

Slatesride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Great work around. I really miss the back up mirror tilt feature from my BMW. Helps to keep you within parking lines and parking straight. The cameras are good but are distorted. For me, much better to see my real surroundings. Also helps prevent curb rash to your wheels. I use both mirrors and cameras but prefer the mirrors. Hope Rivian takes notice of these responses and adds this as a new feature.
Sponsored