Sponsored

Anyone sticking with R1T Explore Package?

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Is there anyone out there that has ordered the Explore Package and has stuck with it and refused to upgrade to the Adventure Package? By doing this, we now have a first half of 2023 delivery window even though We have a very early (November 28,2018) order date.

As Rivian production continues, it appears that they plan to continue to produce only Adventure Package vehicles. Our concern is that they will continue on this path and never get around to producing any Explore Packages.

I sent an email to Rivian expressing my concerns. They did answer me with some boiler plate gibberish that did not answer my questions or address concerns. It would appear that Riverian wants to avoid filling the orders for the base (less expensive) models and hope that we all go away.

Brian
Sponsored

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Explore club, checking in!

I too share your concern.

I do take comfort in the fact that explore is still offered after they reviewed all their options and prices.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
I didn't order an Explore package, but I wouldn't yet be concerned about this. They always set the expectation that explore package vehicles would start production well after LE and Adventure vehicles. They were fairly aggressive about canceling the 5-seater R1S variant and I don't see what it buys them to continue to string Explore folks along (not to mention continue to take orders for the package) if they don't currently intend to follow through.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

We might go back to an explore; we swapped to adventure in hopes of an earlier delivery after that late December email, which could work out, but if we never hear anything besides 1st half of 23 for the adventure we will probably go back. We personally donā€™t see the value in adventure, but are planning a big trip in 2023 and really want the rivian for it.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Is there anyone out there that has ordered the Explore Package and has stuck with it and refused to upgrade to the Adventure Package? By doing this, we now have a first half of 2023 delivery window even though We have a very early (November 28,2018) order date.

As Rivian production continues, it appears that they plan to continue to produce only Adventure Package vehicles. Our concern is that they will continue on this path and never get around to producing any Explore Packages.

I sent an email to Rivian expressing my concerns. They did answer me with some boiler plate gibberish that did not answer my questions or address concerns. It would appear that Riverian wants to avoid filling the orders for the base (less expensive) models and hope that we all go away.

Brian
Why does it appear this way - what lead you to form this opinion.

I don't have an explore reservation, but I have also not seen anything that would lead me to think either of those things. I know Rivian has been flakey on communications and has changed delivery windows many times, but I also generally subscribe to "no news is good new" - meaning until they tell you otherwise, everything is on track.

Also, they need a lower price point vehicle - having the explore is strategic to their pricing strategies. The only reason I could see them stopping production is if nobody wanted to order it.

Sponsored

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Explore package here too. They've been delivering LE for like 3 weeks, and still no Adventure group to my knowledge, so I would hold off on worrying about them eliminating an entire option group.

It's not out of the norm for a manufacturer to build higher profit margin vehicles first. It's also typically the case that the early adopters want the top-spec. Call me weird, but I prefer waiting until 2023 and have no intent to switch to an Adventure spec. The Explore is at the top of what I'm willing to spend on a vehicle too, regardless of value prop, so YMMV.

chicagoair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Performance Max Pack
Clubs

Sticking with Explore and using the savings to pay for half my Max Pack.

Seattleite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Slacker
Clubs

Count me in as an R1S Explore cheapskate. Keeping the total price to < $75K makes it a whole lot more palatable, and gives me some breathing room to compare/contrast with the Lyric, Buzz, and other SUV, people movers in the next year...

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Sticking with an explore R1S. I am not an audiophile, listen to news stations half the time, donā€™t need ventilated seats, and I prefer not having wood trim.

OP
OP
moosetags

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We will be sticking with our R1T Explore order. After all, we are getting (Hopefully) a dynamite electric truck for $71,275.

Brian

Sponsored

swazi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
The explore package have always made me think of the Tesla model 3 standard range. It was going to be a more basic interior but when it came down to it, they just stripped the "premium" interior (less speakers and a few other things). And software locked a few things.
And the model had a very short production run.
It's really hard to run multiple configurations on the production line (I assume).
There is no way to know if they will really create the package. And there is no reason to believe that at this point they are not planning to do it. But in a lot of ways they have already set themselves up for "lower" versions with the dual motor and standard battery. And the inflation squeeze is also going to factor into their future decision making.
And lastly there are also some unknowns with the package. Like what will the sound system be like.

OP
OP
moosetags

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Sticking with an explore R1S. I am not an audiophile, listen to news stations half the time, donā€™t need ventilated seats, and I prefer not having wood trim.
We are of a similar ilk. We rarely turn on the radio in our truck. The power tonneau cover has already proven problematic. I think that the wood trim on the dash and door panels leans toward the cheesy. I think that the solid black dash is more attractive. I prefer the black painted outside rearview mirrors. I just didn't want to pay $3,000 more for stuff I don't even like.

Brian

OP
OP
moosetags

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Why does it appear this way - what lead you to form this opinion.

I don't have an explore reservation, but I have also not seen anything that would lead me to think either of those things. I know Rivian has been flakey on communications and has changed delivery windows many times, but I also generally subscribe to "no news is good new" - meaning until they tell you otherwise, everything is on track.
m
Also, they need a lower price point vehicle - having the explore is strategic to their pricing strategies. The only reason I could see them stopping production is if nobody wanted to order it.
It is more concerns than opinions. I guess the thing that concerns me most is the "first half of 2023" delivery window. In my book, this is tantamount to saying "sometime in the future". I don't feel that this is the way to treat one of their earliest adopters.

Brian

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

It is more concerns than opinions. I guess the thing that concerns me most is the "first half of 2023" delivery window. In my book, this is tantamount to saying "sometime in the future". I don't feel that this is the way to treat one of their earliest adopters.

Brian
I understand that there is a distinct lack of clarity in that window, but i also don't think there is much that can do about it. There are a lot of variables in play, and getting more precise at this point would be really risky.

My hope would be that they start narrowing that down as they get more clarity on reservation uptake, production ramp, and supply chain.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Considering a switch from max to large pack. Might also switch from Explore to Adventure at the time. I wouldn't do it solely for timing reasons, but if it does bump up it would be nice. I really like the ventilated seats, and the upgraded audio is getting rave reviews (I never considered it as something I would want). I think if I could get the manual tonneau with Adventure, I would for sure make the switch. I'm not willing to go to the new pricing for that though....
Sponsored