Sponsored

Anyone else thinking of the R1T as a street Sport Truck?

OP
OP
fastwheels

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
fastwheels,

If you're going to be on the road only, and have winter tires (and wheels?) for the bad stuff, I think the 22's would be a fantastic set-up. The incremental improvement on the road (and likely the range) makes them the way to go to get the most out of the Rivian's amazing performance.

Are you in the Detroit area? I'd love to drive or ride the 27-mile length of Woodward Avenue and back one evening in a Midnight/Black Mountain R1T with the 22's. That stretch has always been a dream of mine, but was made even more of a Bucket Lister after listening to both Tim Allen, and later, Tim with Jay Leno, talking about it. The mile between Six-Mile and Seven-Mile Roads became our first paved road in 1909, a year after Henry Ford gave us the Model T.

Regardless of the surface, that stretch was frequented by many of the earliest Automakers for testing some of our first vehicles, including those early lead-battery EV's that were amazing, but didn't catch on with the public. Jay Leno opined that the electrics were the favorite of women, but the noisy, smoky, gas-fired units were a hit with the men and won the battle over electrics and steam-powered vehicles. That decision also made J.D. Rockefeller very wealthy and very happy, although I've never seen him smiling in any of those old pics. Go figure.

It would be a treat to roll that stretch of Woodward for the first time in all-electric pickup. I already have a Detroit soundtrack in mind, including Bob Seger, Mitch Rider, and many Motown artists, along with specific songs, like Detroit boy Glenn Frey (Smuggler's Blues, Old '55) and, of course, Sammy Hagar and I Can't Drive 55.

Enjoy your R1T and that classic roadway once you take delivery. I'll have to enjoy that experience vicariously through you. At least until crisscrossing the country one day.

Sorry for any sidetrack here, but the combo of Michigan, Motown, and performance vehicles causes me to mentally detour frequently.
Hey Duck - Until about 2 years ago I lived in the Metro Detroit area and have attended all but 2 or 3 of the Woodward Dream Cruises (most in a '66 GT-350 but this year in my C8). It is an amazing day (week actually) that any car guy/gal should attend at least once. You see everything imaginable, and then some. I hoped to spot an R1T there, but the only interesting EV was a Hummer.

With any luck I'll be in the R1T for the Dream Cruise next year - hope to see you, or other R1 owners, there!
Sponsored

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
From my research/experience/TireRack ice testing/etc: tire compound and tread pattern of an ice/snow tire will be far superior to any AT tire when it gets slippery. I will go to the trouble and expense of a dedicated winter wheel/tire set. One avoided fender bender because I can stop or turn better will pay for the cost of the winter set.

Plus, salt on the roads takes a real toll on your nice (expensive) OEM alloy wheels!
I use dedicated snow tires on my Mazda 6. It makes a world of difference. That being said, that car is much lighter and is front wheel drive. The R1T is AWD and very heavy. It may not be perfect, but I also donā€™t need a garage filled with yet another set of winter tires. (Wife would be less than pleased ?). I also have a friend with a model X that told me itā€™s the best winter vehicle he has owned. We both have lived in MN our whole lives ?ā€ā™‚

As for the salt. Yep. I hear you. I plan on having the whole vehicle ceramic coated by a professional friend of mine within a week of getting it. That includes the rims. And if someday they start looking shoddy. I will get them refinished and powdered coated.

OP
OP
fastwheels

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I use dedicated snow tires on my Mazda 6. It makes a world of difference. That being said, that car is much lighter and is front wheel drive. The R1T is AWD and very heavy. It may not be perfect, but I also donā€™t need a garage filled with yet another set of winter tires. (Wife would be less than pleased ?). I also have a friend with a model X that told me itā€™s the best winter vehicle he has owned. We both have lived in MN our whole lives ?ā€ā™‚

As for the salt. Yep. I hear you. I plan on having the whole vehicle ceramic coated by a professional friend of mine within a week of getting it. That includes the rims. And if someday they start looking shoddy. I will get them refinished and powdered coated.
AWD doesn't help you stop on ice any faster, plus the wider tires of a heavy vehicle tend to allow you to 'float' more (and farther) on ice, and they are less likely to dig down into the snow. Over several decades I've had snowies on AWD/4WD/FWD/RWD vehicles. I will not own a vehicle that I drive in the winter without them.

As for the garage issue, after moving north a couple of years ago I have learned that a lot of the tire shops up here offer a storage program where they will store the off-season set for a nominal fee. I may opt for that since the wheel/tire combo on the R1T is going to be very heavy...

Good plan on ceramic coating - that is my intention as well! I had my C8 coated last Fall. It is amazing how much less road crap/bugs/tar/etc sticks to it, and that which does if far easier to remove. I might consider PPF also, but so far I have not found anyone near me that does it, plus it is pretty pricey.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
AWD doesn't help you stop on ice any faster, plus the wider tires of a heavy vehicle tend to allow you to 'float' more (and farther) on ice, and they are less likely to dig down into the snow. Over several decades I've had snowies on AWD/4WD/FWD/RWD vehicles. I will not own a vehicle that I drive in the winter without them.

As for the garage issue, after moving north a couple of years ago I have learned that a lot of the tire shops up here offer a storage program where they will store the off-season set for a nominal fee. I may opt for that since the wheel/tire combo on the R1T is going to be very heavy...

Good plan on ceramic coating - that is my intention as well! I had my C8 coated last Fall. It is amazing how much less road crap/bugs/tar/etc sticks to it, and that which does if far easier to remove. I might consider PPF also, but so far I have not found anyone near me that does it, plus it is pretty pricey.
To be 100% honest. I believe most accidents in winter are caused by poor driving technique in those conditions. If you live up north like me you know what Iā€™m talking about. When the snow first falls, the inevitable site of dozens of vehicles in the road is a common experience. Then you see less as winter sets in. I had one accident as a 16 year old when I hit black ice. I learned a lesson and Iā€™m 46 with no more accidents or close calls (knock on wood). Iā€™ll just have to see what happens. Iā€™m getting the ATs regardless. Hopefully I donā€™t need to spend a couple grand more on dedicated winter rims and tires ?

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
After well over 2 years of reading forum posts it seems the majority of us are buying the R1s as Adventure vehicles. Perhaps I'm an anomaly, but I see the R1T as the ultimate (for now) street performance truck. I will rarely, if ever, take it off-road. I'll only be on dirt roads to transport bicycles or kayaks to trails/rivers/lakes.
With nearly 800 HP, instant torque, relatively low center of gravity, and 4 motors it should be a blast on the road - especially with the 22" tires. Sorry, but I can't believe the 20" AT tires will perform on the street anywhere near as well as the 22s.

I can't wait to 'explore' it's corning limits on the back roads in my area... :)
I wonā€™t use it that way, but agree that itā€™s certainly capable of playing that role. Thatā€™s whatā€™s so great about it - best of multiple worlds!

Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Ok Forum, which will look better on the R1S, the 20ā€ R1T wheel or the 20ā€ R1S wheel?

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone else thinking of the R1T as a street Sport Truck? 2D808C15-EF4A-485E-AEAA-F6E379586228

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone else thinking of the R1T as a street Sport Truck? 5B3B5D7D-1F70-47A9-B0D5-870A197861F2

I donā€™t have the black version of the R1T 20ā€
Rivian R1T R1S Anyone else thinking of the R1T as a street Sport Truck? ADF85960-285C-4A26-B3D2-0704FBE5A89C

Last edited:

Ray R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
After well over 2 years of reading forum posts it seems the majority of us are buying the R1s as Adventure vehicles. Perhaps I'm an anomaly, but I see the R1T as the ultimate (for now) street performance truck. I will rarely, if ever, take it off-road. I'll only be on dirt roads to transport bicycles or kayaks to trails/rivers/lakes.
With nearly 800 HP, instant torque, relatively low center of gravity, and 4 motors it should be a blast on the road - especially with the 22" tires. Sorry, but I can't believe the 20" AT tires will perform on the street anywhere near as well as the 22s.

I can't wait to 'explore' it's corning limits on the back roads in my area... :)
You are not an anomaly. Iā€™m replacing a Challenger Redeye with a R1T.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Ok Forum, which will look better on the R1S, the 20ā€ R1T wheel or the 20ā€ R1S wheel?
I am getting 22s and do not remember which is which but I think this is the better 20ā€¦

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone else thinking of the R1T as a street Sport Truck? 40E6D41F-85DE-4672-B575-A2F3F47D25E1

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Hey Duck - Until about 2 years ago I lived in the Metro Detroit area and have attended all but 2 or 3 of the Woodward Dream Cruises (most in a '66 GT-350 but this year in my C8). It is an amazing day (week actually) that any car guy/gal should attend at least once. You see everything imaginable, and then some. I hoped to spot an R1T there, but the only interesting EV was a Hummer.

With any luck I'll be in the R1T for the Dream Cruise next year - hope to see you, or other R1 owners, there!
fastwheels,

You are one of my heroes! That sounds like a great time along Woodward. I'm not familiar with the event, but I'll bet that's a great time.

Do your friends who know you as a vintage GT-350 guy know that you're now driving a new 'Vette? Are you relegated to wearing a Groucho Marx-type disguise behind the wheel? Is it common for people back there to switch brands? I'd bet 75% or better of my high school friends have stayed with the same American name plate, if they still own any American made cars. It seems to be especially true if they're into muscle cars. Not surprisingly, the majority are driving the same brand as dear ol' dad.

That'll be fun if you're in that first wave of Rivians rolling there next year. I'll bet you get more attention in your Rivian than in your C8.

Looking forward to pictures from next year's Woodward event, along with any you might want to share from this year. I'd also love to see pictures of that C8! Hopefully it won't be long until we all see (and get to drive our) Rivians all over the place.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I am getting 22s and do not remember which is which but I think this is the better 20ā€¦

40E6D41F-85DE-4672-B575-A2F3F47D25E1.jpeg
That is my choice currently too. I think the black versions of the wheel if taken off-road would start to show knicks and would bug the heck out of me.

I originally had the 22ā€ configured, but given the weight and off-roading would be hard to keep the wheels true and would beat up the road tires. After ducktruckā€˜s experience in Normal, I changed to the 20ā€.

I may elect to have two sets of wheels over time.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
fastwheels

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
fastwheels,

You are one of my heroes! That sounds like a great time along Woodward. I'm not familiar with the event, but I'll bet that's a great time.

Do your friends who know you as a vintage GT-350 guy know that you're now driving a new 'Vette? Are you relegated to wearing a Groucho Marx-type disguise behind the wheel? Is it common for people back there to switch brands? I'd bet 75% or better of my high school friends have stayed with the same American name plate, if they still own any American made cars. It seems to be especially true if they're into muscle cars. Not surprisingly, the majority are driving the same brand as dear ol' dad.

That'll be fun if you're in that first wave of Rivians rolling there next year. I'll bet you get more attention in your Rivian than in your C8.

Looking forward to pictures from next year's Woodward event, along with any you might want to share from this year. I'd also love to see pictures of that C8! Hopefully it won't be long until we all see (and get to drive our) Rivians all over the place.
Dream Cruise size estimates are in the range of 1 - 1.5 million people and 40,000 + old and/or specialty/unique vehicles. I can't even begin to explain some of the exotic/weird/strange vehicles I have seen there over the years.

The C8 is my fourth 'Vette, so my Shelby friends are not surprised. Many are Ford/Ford engine based only guys, but most share a passion for all things automotive and appreciate many marques, as do I. I've probably owned 20 different marques over the years, starting off as a Mopar guy with a '65 Plymouth Sport Fury when I turned 16 (my parents drove mostly Chrysler products). Sold the Sport Fury a year later so I could buy the Shelby, added a BMW 2002 at 18, and went from there...

Too many pictures to post (hundreds!), but since you are a huge Ducks fan, I will post one that you will love. :)

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone else thinking of the R1T as a street Sport Truck? IMG_6264.JPG

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Dream Cruise size estimates are in the range of 1 - 1.5 million people and 40,000 + old and/or specialty/unique vehicles. I can't even begin to explain some of the exotic/weird/strange vehicles I have seen there over the years.

The C8 is my fourth 'Vette, so my Shelby friends are not surprised. Many are Ford/Ford engine based only guys, but most share a passion for all things automotive and appreciate many marques, as do I. I've probably owned 20 different marques over the years, starting off as a Mopar guy with a '65 Plymouth Sport Fury when I turned 16 (my parents drove mostly Chrysler products). Sold the Sport Fury a year later so I could buy the Shelby, added a BMW 2002 at 18, and went from there...

Too many pictures to post (hundreds!), but since you are a huge Ducks fan, I will post one that you will love. :)

IMG_6264.JPG
fastwheels,

Great story and an awesome pic. I'll bet Brian Gase appreciates the Big "M" more, but it brings back memories of some great games, and friends with classic trucks.

We have some great car shows around here, but nothing on the magnitude of your Woodward event.

Thanks for sharing!

R1Tr8000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜99 SLK230, 22 Sequoia, 17 GLE43, 14 CnAm SxS
Occupation
Aerospace retired

2D808C15-EF4A-485E-AEAA-F6E379586228.jpeg

5B3B5D7D-1F70-47A9-B0D5-870A197861F2.jpeg

I donā€™t have the black version of the R1T 20ā€
ADF85960-285C-4A26-B3D2-0704FBE5A89C.jpeg
I like that middle pic option. It matches very well with the narrow white / silverish roof line on the R1S. The balanced look appeals to me..at least in the picture and in that car color choice.

R1Tr8000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜99 SLK230, 22 Sequoia, 17 GLE43, 14 CnAm SxS
Occupation
Aerospace retired

Totally agree. My experience and current use case absolutely dictate a dedicated snowtire (usually mounted early Dec, removed by early May..at local tire shops either free or like $25 since itā€™s essentially a tire rotation). I drive 30-40 round trips to our local ski area, plus sometimes 2-3 longer trips to more distant areas.

Totally on mark about wider tires and heavier vehicles. My winter tire wheelset is a narrower 17ā€ setup compared to the Scorpion A/T Plus summer setup I use on the approx 4800 lb 4Runner. The vehicle has way less propensity to slide..and if it does, way less farther and with far better control. I typically witness and/or avoid a couple of ā€œother driver out of controlā€ events each year going over our local pass. The additional safety / controllability margin provided is a no-brainer where Iā€™m driving.

The extra wheelset is stacked in one corner of my garage. Since the Rivianā€™s wheelset will be heavier..I too am looking at storing them at our local favorite repair shop where they treat everything really, really well and I can trust the owner. Or I may finally just start changing them myself - if my current jack and stands are compatible with the R1T lift points.

Finally, yes I just stopped at a regional detail shop who do ceramic coatings. Had not thought of doing the winter wheels! Will think about that..

Thanks for all your great input!

Lobstahz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Tesla Model 3, Audi A4
Breaking a rim on the 22's has come up a number of times in this thread. Can someone explain this more to me?

I've run, what I'd consider, low profile tires on my cars for years and haven't had an issue (knocks wood). I just compared my current (non-stock) tires on my Model 3 to the 22"s I have specced on my R1S order and there is more sidewall in my future tire in absolute terms (5.4" vs 3.9") and relative terms (sidewall heigh/total height at 16% vs 14%). From the perspective of "more rubber = more protection" (?) this seems like a safer selection that what I'm currently doing. The counter to this would be weight. My current car is the heaviest I've had and is a hair over 4,000 lbs, and I believe the R1S is expected to be 5,500 to 6,000 in curb weight, so certainly a good deal heavier.

What I'm getting at is, does weight matter that much in this particular situation? Have the folks with bent rims been unlucky? Or have I just been really lucky with my experiences? Trying to get an idea of how much of my personal car/sedan experience will translate to my new SUV life the future.

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone else thinking of the R1T as a street Sport Truck? 1629997529651
Sponsored