Sponsored

Anyone else thinking of the R1T as a street Sport Truck?

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I did the same as you, move from 22's to 20's myself. if the performance and tire-roll is insignificant on the 20's vs the 22's, I will stay with the 20's...but the 22's really look nice.

With Rivian I do plan to off-road now and take it cool spots I would have never tried before... get more adventurous!

I always wanted a Porsche and a Jeep...I get two for one here ;)
I live on SoCal, ran 24's on a Tahoe and 19's on a Mini Cooper so running 22's on an R1S should be no problem for me. There should be more sidewall on those than I had on the above mentioned setups. I should mention that well over 95% of my driving will be on pavement these days, if that was closer to 80% then I would probably go with the 20's, that is what I have on my Jeep GC.

I used to live in New England, probably would be a harder decision up there for me but down here in the Southwest, I have no reservations about running 22's.
Being in NorCal I agree with your logic.

My question is, could you get A/T on 22's...as I would hate to eat up road tires on gravel or some off-roading. I have been in the high 99% category of driving on pavement. But more likely will go to 70%-85% off road. My concern is the weight of the vehicle and pot-holes.

I was think of starting with the forged 20"s and when the Infrastructure bill starts to get our roads back into shape---I would buy aftermarket 22"s later.

I would love the input from our off roader's:blush:
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I did the same as you, move from 22's to 20's myself. if the performance and tire-roll is insignificant on the 20's vs the 22's, I will stay with the 20's...but the 22's really look nice.

With Rivian I do plan to off-road now and take it cool spots I would have never tried before... get more adventurous!

I always wanted a Porsche and a Jeep...I get two for one here ;)
You get both the Porsche and the Jeep, as long as you're wearing the A/T's. I'm with you in loving the look of the 22's! I sure wish I could've taken a few laps on those Performance Road tires. Scaling Mt. Rivian in them? Not so much....

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
SANZCO2,

Thanks for confirming the math. With less (and a softer?) sidewall and arguably less-sturdy wheels, one well-placed pothole in a vehicle of this weight could be a very bad adventure, indeed.
@DuckTruck , Can expand a little more on why you think the wheels are less sturdy? Did they cover any of this at the event in Normal? In the configurator, the only description on all of the wheel options are machined aluminum wheels.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

My question is, could you get A/T on 22's...as I would hate to eat up road tires on gravel or some off-roading. I have been in the high 99% category of driving on pavement. But more likely will go to 70%-85% off road. My concern is the weight of the vehicle and pot-holes.

I was think of starting with the forged 20"s and when the Infrastructure bill starts to get our roads back into shape---I would buy aftermarket 22"s later.

I’d just buy a second set of wheels and tires, rather than A/T 22” low profile tires. the 22” size rivian is using is, so far, proprietary. And switching a wheel/tire assembly is much easier than having to have tires mounted and balanced multiple times a year.

if you are just occasionally ambling around on forest service roads or similar, you‘d be able to get by on 22” performance biased all seasons. No different than a car with high performance all seasons, or what many other luxury SUVs come with in terms of tire.

20” AT is the way to go if venturing off pavement more often than not though. Also tires will be less expensive.

@DuckTruck , Can expand a little more on why you think the wheels are less sturdy? Did they cover any of this at the event in Normal? In the configurator, the only description on all of the wheel options are machined aluminum wheels.
i think only the 20” off road wheels are forged. All the others are cast(as far as anyone has said at least), and larger diameter, so more susceptible to damage.

Notaevfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, Silverado 2500, E39 M5, e34 M5, E36 M3,
Occupation
Home Builder
I am not, but it will be great to see customers personalize these in different ways. While too heavy for real track use, these should make great street performers. Wheel size won't be the issue, it's the tires. Weather you have 20s (lighter) or 22s, getting the right tires on there will make a huge difference. Falken rt660 is the hands down best 200tw tire we have raced with, although we will be testing the new Conti endurance tire in a few weeks. We all will be limited by a lack of aftermarket support for a while and look forward to this forum helping with tricks and ideas to help us all, as an example, most air suspension vehicles can be lowered by adjusting the mounts on ride height sensors to trick the car into thinking very low is normal. I hope to see a variety in what everyone does, unfortunately the R1S is for my wife and she prefers to leave vehicles stock.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am not, but it will be great to see customers personalize these in different ways. While too heavy for real track use, these should make great street performers. Wheel size won't be the issue, it's the tires. Weather you have 20s (lighter) or 22s, getting the right tires on there will make a huge difference. Falken rt660 is the hands down best 200tw tire we have raced with, although we will be testing the new Conti endurance tire in a few weeks. We all will be limited by a lack of aftermarket support for a while and look forward to this forum helping with tricks and ideas to help us all, as an example, most air suspension vehicles can be lowered by adjusting the mounts on ride height sensors to trick the car into thinking very low is normal. I hope to see a variety in what everyone does, unfortunately the R1S is for my wife and she prefers to leave vehicles stock.
Sticky 200tw or better tires would be hilarious on something with all that torque. You know someone at rivian is going to autocross one of these beasts.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

After well over 2 years of reading forum posts it seems the majority of us are buying the R1s as Adventure vehicles. Perhaps I'm an anomaly, but I see the R1T as the ultimate (for now) street performance truck. I will rarely, if ever, take it off-road. I'll only be on dirt roads to transport bicycles or kayaks to trails/rivers/lakes.
With nearly 800 HP, instant torque, relatively low center of gravity, and 4 motors it should be a blast on the road - especially with the 22" tires. Sorry, but I can't believe the 20" AT tires will perform on the street anywhere near as well as the 22s.

I can't wait to 'explore' it's corning limits on the back roads in my area... :)
fastwheels,

If you're going to be on the road only, and have winter tires (and wheels?) for the bad stuff, I think the 22's would be a fantastic set-up. The incremental improvement on the road (and likely the range) makes them the way to go to get the most out of the Rivian's amazing performance.

Are you in the Detroit area? I'd love to drive or ride the 27-mile length of Woodward Avenue and back one evening in a Midnight/Black Mountain R1T with the 22's. That stretch has always been a dream of mine, but was made even more of a Bucket Lister after listening to both Tim Allen, and later, Tim with Jay Leno, talking about it. The mile between Six-Mile and Seven-Mile Roads became our first paved road in 1909, a year after Henry Ford gave us the Model T.

Regardless of the surface, that stretch was frequented by many of the earliest Automakers for testing some of our first vehicles, including those early lead-battery EV's that were amazing, but didn't catch on with the public. Jay Leno opined that the electrics were the favorite of women, but the noisy, smoky, gas-fired units were a hit with the men and won the battle over electrics and steam-powered vehicles. That decision also made J.D. Rockefeller very wealthy and very happy, although I've never seen him smiling in any of those old pics. Go figure.

It would be a treat to roll that stretch of Woodward for the first time in all-electric pickup. I already have a Detroit soundtrack in mind, including Bob Seger, Mitch Rider, and many Motown artists, along with specific songs, like Detroit boy Glenn Frey (Smuggler's Blues, Old '55) and, of course, Sammy Hagar and I Can't Drive 55.

Enjoy your R1T and that classic roadway once you take delivery. I'll have to enjoy that experience vicariously through you. At least until crisscrossing the country one day.

Sorry for any sidetrack here, but the combo of Michigan, Motown, and performance vehicles causes me to mentally detour frequently.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Sorry, I just finished my detour with fastwheels, so someone may have already answered your question.

The 20's are forged, whereas the 21's and 22's are flow-formed, which is a method of casting. The forging process, with the pressures involved ends up providing a much stronger structure. On top of that, the taller sidewall of the A/T's allows even more protection when hitting the sharp edge of the inevitable pothole, especially at speed.

I hope that helps.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
You know someone at rivian is going to autocross one of these beasts.
I SCCA Solo autocross my BMW 3 series. In general, trucks and SUVs are banned from SCCA Solo due to rollover risk, with the Center of Gravity being so high, which obviously is very different in the Rivian. I would love for SCCA to class the Rivian, presumably it would be classed with the Tesla S which is FS (F Street).

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Lmirafuente,

I like the way think! I've wondered about A/T's in 22" as well to avoid having to buy two sets of wheels. A couple of thoughts:

Upsides
: Again, less outlay for two sets of wheels. May have an even better look than the performance skins on the bigger wheels or the current A/T set-up in 20's. With a similar sidewall height as the 20" A/T's, it would mean two inches taller, which may give you a marginally larger contact patch and would provide an extra inch of ground clearance.

Downsides: For off-roading and potholes, the flow-formed 22's will not be as strong as the forged 20's. A similar sidewall height (and resulting total height increase) may mess with the systems calibrated around the current wheel/tire selections (weight, width, rolling resistance, angular momentum, aero effects). I'd also bet range will be negatively impacted by this combination for the same reasons. I'm guessing there may also be potential clearance problems within the wheel wells under sharp turns and/or full compression of the suspension.

Regarding any improvements provided by the Infrastructure Bill, they may be quite a ways down the road (NPI), but each Winter will bring new potholes and the joy of the resulting alignment and balance work, along with the occasional dental problems those collisions can cause. if you hit one hard enough, you may end up by more wheels after all. If I were a betting man, I'd think between the 20's and 22's, both wearing A/T's, the 20's will handle more abuse and stay round longer than will the 22's.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I’d just buy a second set of wheels and tires, rather than A/T 22” low profile tires. the 22” size rivian is using is, so far, proprietary.
The 22" tire size is not unique to Rivian. It's the 21" size that is. 275/50R22 is not a super common size, but it's not unique. There are 9 available models of that 22" size on Tire Rack right now.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The 22" tire size is not unique to Rivian. It's the 21" size that is. 275/50R22 is not a super common size, but it's not unique. There are 9 available models of that 22" size on Tire Rack right now.
Oopssues. Got it bassackwards.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
If it adds any value to this discussion.

The numbers below on the left (current) are the all season tires I have on my Jeep GC (265/50/20) that came from the factory. The ones on the right (New) are the 275/50/22's for the R1S.

The R1S will have a slightly higher sidewall, and slightly wider track then I currently have. Based on images of the Perrilli Scorpion the tread looks similar to what is on my GC and I have never had an issue taking the Jeep anywhere I need to go the times I have left the pavement (mostly southwest desert and mountain fire roads). I have not been able to confirm it but I am pretty sure the factory 20's from Jeep are also flow formed and not forged.

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone else thinking of the R1T as a street Sport Truck? 1629843126615

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

The 20's are forged, whereas the 21's and 22's are flow-formed, which is a method of casting. The forging process, with the pressures involved ends up providing a much stronger structure. On top of that, the taller sidewall of the A/T's allows even more protection when hitting the sharp edge of the inevitable pothole, especially at speed.
This is all I need to hear to make my decision on the 20's.

I never go off road, but cracked one 22 on my Navigator on highway 130 in Texas at 85mph and one on our country roads at ~50mph. They constantly get destroyed by buggy wheels and each winter I might as well be off-roading.

Stronger Wheel and more sidewall hopefully leads to no issues with a machine this heavy.

OP
OP
fastwheels

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I have bad winters here as well in MN. I think the 4 motors, weight of vehicle and AT tires should do very well in winter conditions
From my research/experience/TireRack ice testing/etc: tire compound and tread pattern of an ice/snow tire will be far superior to any AT tire when it gets slippery. I will go to the trouble and expense of a dedicated winter wheel/tire set. One avoided fender bender because I can stop or turn better will pay for the cost of the winter set.

Plus, salt on the roads takes a real toll on your nice (expensive) OEM alloy wheels!
Sponsored