Sponsored

Anyone else thinking of the R1T as a street Sport Truck?

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
After well over 2 years of reading forum posts it seems the majority of us are buying the R1s as Adventure vehicles. Perhaps I'm an anomaly, but I see the R1T as the ultimate (for now) street performance truck. I will rarely, if ever, take it off-road. I'll only be on dirt roads to transport bicycles or kayaks to trails/rivers/lakes.
With nearly 800 HP, instant torque, relatively low center of gravity, and 4 motors it should be a blast on the road - especially with the 22" tires. Sorry, but I can't believe the 20" AT tires will perform on the street anywhere near as well as the 22s.

I can't wait to 'explore' it's corning limits on the back roads in my area... :)
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Yes, but wheel-eating potholes, otherwise barely-paved roads, and winter all say it’s 20” A/T tires for me.

if I lived somewhere more temperate with better roads I’d be giving the big rollers a hard look.

OP
OP
fastwheels

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Yes, but wheel-eating potholes, otherwise barely-paved roads, and winter all say it’s 20” A/T tires for me.

if I lived somewhere more temperate with better roads I’d be giving the big rollers a hard look.
I have winter to deal with also, and the only real solution is snow/ice tires - not AT tires.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I have winter to deal with also, and the only real solution is snow/ice tires - not AT tires.
In my experience, a severe service rated AT is nearly as good as a dedicated winter tire. It’s not as night and day as 3 season tires vs winters.

Also I’m not dealing with two sets of 34” diameter tires ?

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
After well over 2 years of reading forum posts it seems the majority of us are buying the R1s as Adventure vehicles. Perhaps I'm an anomaly, but I see the R1T as the ultimate (for now) street performance truck. I will rarely, if ever, take it off-road. I'll only be on dirt roads to transport bicycles or kayaks to trails/rivers/lakes.
With nearly 800 HP, instant torque, relatively low center of gravity, and 4 motors it should be a blast on the road - especially with the 22" tires. Sorry, but I can't believe the 20" AT tires will perform on the street anywhere near as well as the 22s.

I can't wait to 'explore' it's corning limits on the back roads in my area... :)
I’m with you on the “sport truck” vibe. If you recall, RJ has said in the past different vehicles he was driving and I think one was a Porsche Cayenne that he really like. I was firmly on the 22’s but then have swayed to the 20’s for fear of potholes on something that weighs 6k+ lbs. The 22’s, still have I think 5” of side wall vs maybe 6” on the 20’s (from memory). Again, this is where I need a test drive and hands on.

Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I’m with you on the “sport truck” vibe. If you recall, RJ has said in the past different vehicles he was driving and I think one was a Porsche Cayenne that he really like. I was firmly on the 22’s but then have swayed to the 20’s for fear of potholes on something that weighs 6k+ lbs. The 22’s, still have I think 5” of side wall vs maybe 6” on the 20’s (from memory). Again, this is where I need a test drive and hands on.
I did the same as you, move from 22's to 20's myself. if the performance and tire-roll is insignificant on the 20's vs the 22's, I will stay with the 20's...but the 22's really look nice.

With Rivian I do plan to off-road now and take it cool spots I would have never tried before... get more adventurous!

I always wanted a Porsche and a Jeep...I get two for one here ;)

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I lowered my 4wd GMC Sonoma. I'm curious what might be available or possible with the Rivian. The wheel well gap in kneel mode is already pretty close to where I ran that truck at.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000

Spot on! Best of both worlds!

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I do not think the sidewalls are correct here, these are the rough estimates for sidewall size;

22's are on a tire with a 33 inch diameter, that would make the side wall 5.5 inches (33-22)/2 = 5.5
20's are on a tire with a 34 inch diameter, that would make the side wall 7.0 inches (34/20)/2 = 7

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I do not think the sidewalls are correct here, these are the rough estimates for sidewall size;

22's are on a tire with a 33 inch diameter, that would make the side wall 5.5 inches (33-22)/2 = 5.5
20's are on a tire with a 34 inch diameter, that would make the side wall 7.0 inches (34/20)/2 = 7
My mind says that the sidewall difference you listed is not very much, but my gut says that it is probably still pretty substantial when it comes to the weight of the vehicle and the inevitable impact with a pothole?

I'm no tire expert but I cracked two 22" rims on my Navigator with very little loaded, so I went with 18's and a larger tire assuming that would prevent it in the future. Is that a correct assumption or am I missing something?

Edit: By your numbers, can we assume the 21" is 6.25" of sidewall?

Last edited:
Reactions: Don

Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000

Yes, I had ran these a long time ago using metric…so a 50 series vs 65? So 5.413” vs 7.04”. For comparison, my wife’s MDX has a 255/50 or 5” of sidewall and we’ve never had a situation in which we’ve needed more and we’ve had that in places we thought we shouldn’t be. Lol.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
My mind says that the sidewall difference you listed is not very much, but my gut says that it is probably still pretty substantial when it comes to the weight of the vehicle and the inevitable impact with a pothole?

I'm no tire expert but I cracked two 22" rims on my Navigator with very little loaded, so I went with 18's and a larger tire assuming that would prevent it in the future. Is that a correct assumption or am I missing something?
I live on SoCal, ran 24's on a Tahoe and 19's on a Mini Cooper so running 22's on an R1S should be no problem for me. There should be more sidewall on those than I had on the above mentioned setups. I should mention that well over 95% of my driving will be on pavement these days, if that was closer to 80% then I would probably go with the 20's, that is what I have on my Jeep GC.

I used to live in New England, probably would be a harder decision up there for me but down here in the Southwest, I have no reservations about running 22's.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Spot on! Best of both worlds!
That's exactly why I referenced it as a great "sports car with 15 inches of ground clearance and a bed" in talking with the guys at RivianStories. For an on-road only machine, 22's with Performance rubber would bring the best out of it. As you said, with the A/T's, you get your Porsche and a Jeep.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

SANZCO2,

Thanks for confirming the math. With less (and a softer?) sidewall and arguably less-sturdy wheels, one well-placed pothole in a vehicle of this weight could be a very bad adventure, indeed.
Sponsored