Sponsored

Anyone else thinking of the R1T as a street Sport Truck?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Breaking a rim on the 22's has come up a number of times in this thread. Can someone explain this more to me?

I've run, what I'd consider, low profile tires on my cars for years and haven't had an issue (knocks wood). I just compared my current (non-stock) tires on my Model 3 to the 22"s I have specced on my R1S order and there is more sidewall in my future tire in absolute terms (5.4" vs 3.9") and relative terms (sidewall heigh/total height at 16% vs 14%). From the perspective of "more rubber = more protection" (?) this seems like a safer selection that what I'm currently doing. The counter to this would be weight. My current car is the heaviest I've had and is a hair over 4,000 lbs, and I believe the R1S is expected to be 5,500 to 6,000 in curb weight, so certainly a good deal heavier.

What I'm getting at is, does weight matter that much in this particular situation? Have the folks with bent rims been unlucky? Or have I just been really lucky with my experiences? Trying to get an idea of how much of my personal car/sedan experience will translate to my new SUV life the future.

1629997529651.png
My personal opinion is you would be fine with the 22s. I've had wheels with much less sidewall then these 22s (even when I was in Mass. now in SoCal) and never had a problem.

The 22s are "tilt cast/flow formed" so it is a hybrid between cast and forged unless you are doing extreme off-roading I do not think you would have an issue even on those Boston roads.

I have the 22s configured on my R1S, they have slightly more sidewall than I currently have on the 20s on my Jeep GC.
Sponsored

OP
OP
fastwheels

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
My personal opinion is you would be fine with the 22s. I've had wheels with much less sidewall then these 22s (even when I was in Mass. now in SoCal) and never had a problem.

The 22s are "tilt cast/flow formed" so it is a hybrid between cast and forged unless you are doing extreme off-roading I do not think you would have an issue even on those Boston roads.

I have the 22s configured on my R1S, they have slightly more sidewall than I currently have on the 20s on my Jeep GC.
Lobstahz - I agree with Bob that you should be fine with the 22s. It's kind of a roll of the dice with road conditions, but if you have not bent/broken a wheel before, I suspect you will not in the future. I never have, but both my wife and son have, driving on generally the same roads. To put it gently as possible, they MAY not be as attentive to road conditions/potholes/etc as I am! I think most hazards that will damage a wheel can largely be avoided, but as they say, YMMV.

Amdolan

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Durango
Dream Cruise size estimates are in the range of 1 - 1.5 million people and 40,000 + old and/or specialty/unique vehicles. I can't even begin to explain some of the exotic/weird/strange vehicles I have seen there over the years.

The C8 is my fourth 'Vette, so my Shelby friends are not surprised. Many are Ford/Ford engine based only guys, but most share a passion for all things automotive and appreciate many marques, as do I. I've probably owned 20 different marques over the years, starting off as a Mopar guy with a '65 Plymouth Sport Fury when I turned 16 (my parents drove mostly Chrysler products). Sold the Sport Fury a year later so I could buy the Shelby, added a BMW 2002 at 18, and went from there...

Too many pictures to post (hundreds!), but since you are a huge Ducks fan, I will post one that you will love. :)

IMG_6264.JPG
Living about a mile off of Woodward, I have a love/hate relationship with the Dream Cruise. I love it when I'm watching/driving in it, I hate it when I'm trying to get around town otherwise :)

Edit: @DuckTruck the dream cruise is quite the event as @fastwheels indicated. Interesting fact about Woodward itself, it was the first paved concrete road in the US. Some additional info on Woodward in the link https://www.mlive.com/entertainment/erry-2018/04/57da31c03d/woodward_avenue_detroit.html Good stuff!

Last edited:

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Lobstahz - I agree with Bob that you should be fine with the 22s. It's kind of a roll of the dice with road conditions, but if you have not bent/broken a wheel before, I suspect you will not in the future. I never have, but both my wife and son have, driving on generally the same roads. To put it gently as possible, they MAY not be as attentive to road conditions/potholes/etc as I am! I think most hazards that will damage a wheel can largely be avoided, but as they say, YMMV.
I agree with the two of you for the most part. He will PROBABLY be fine with the 22s as would I.

Personally I look at it this way.
The R1S does not have a full size spare and I want to do everything possible to reduce the potential of having wheel issues. The 20s give me a bit more peace of mind, but very likely I wouldn't have issues with either the 20s or 22s.

FYI I never had cracked a wheel until early this year and the first one was a bad one on a return trip from CA to OH. I am also very attentive to road conditions.
Have fun trying to avoid some of the terrible potholes driving 85mph on HWY 130 in Texas at night or in the day.
You may never go through that stretch and I may only do it another 1-2 times in my life, but it was enough to tell me that I don't want to risk the potential of it happening again, especially when I am on a trip.

The thing between you and the pavement is your tires and wheels, so take care and don't skimp on them regardless of which ones you choose.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
Breaking a rim on the 22's has come up a number of times in this thread. Can someone explain this more to me?

I've run, what I'd consider, low profile tires on my cars for years and haven't had an issue (knocks wood). I just compared my current (non-stock) tires on my Model 3 to the 22"s I have specced on my R1S order and there is more sidewall in my future tire in absolute terms (5.4" vs 3.9") and relative terms (sidewall heigh/total height at 16% vs 14%). From the perspective of "more rubber = more protection" (?) this seems like a safer selection that what I'm currently doing. The counter to this would be weight. My current car is the heaviest I've had and is a hair over 4,000 lbs, and I believe the R1S is expected to be 5,500 to 6,000 in curb weight, so certainly a good deal heavier.

What I'm getting at is, does weight matter that much in this particular situation? Have the folks with bent rims been unlucky? Or have I just been really lucky with my experiences? Trying to get an idea of how much of my personal car/sedan experience will translate to my new SUV life the future.

1629997529651.png
The only time I've dealt with a broken rim was a 17" rim on a VW Golf, not exactly super low-profile. It was just bad luck. The person driving it hit a pothole in a heavy rainstorm that was invisible. They hit it just right and the edge of the pothole caught the edge of the rim and bent it out. Speed wasn't even a factor as the car was traveling around 25 mph at the time. I wouldn't worry about cracking the 22's unless you are rock crawling with them, which would certainly increase your risk.

Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I would love to go back to the 22”. We are talking about about 1000-1500 lbs more for comparable size suvs.

still not settled in on which wheel config to pick?

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
After well over 2 years of reading forum posts it seems the majority of us are buying the R1s as Adventure vehicles. Perhaps I'm an anomaly, but I see the R1T as the ultimate (for now) street performance truck. I will rarely, if ever, take it off-road. I'll only be on dirt roads to transport bicycles or kayaks to trails/rivers/lakes.
With nearly 800 HP, instant torque, relatively low center of gravity, and 4 motors it should be a blast on the road - especially with the 22" tires. Sorry, but I can't believe the 20" AT tires will perform on the street anywhere near as well as the 22s.

I can't wait to 'explore' it's corning limits on the back roads in my area... :)
Doug, I was firmly in the 22" camp for some time, then started rethinking once the Normal Drive Videos came out and the feedback we heard from Bruce & John. I went to TireRack and was looking at their reviews specifically on the Perilli tires that will be on the R1T. Now I know Rivian worked with Perilli to customize these tires, but thinking these tires may give some good insight into say the AT vs Zero 22". From what I've read, Rivian really wanted Lower or Reduced Rolling resistance, reduced noise, and improved traction. The aftermarket Scorpion All Terrian on TireRack is highly rated which makes me lean even more towards the 20's with a forged wheel with a really great all-around tire.

Here is a clip that's worth watching:

https://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AK2&url=/videos/index.jsp&video=751

OP
OP
fastwheels

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Doug, I was firmly in the 22" camp for some time, then started rethinking once the Normal Drive Videos came out and the feedback we heard from Bruce & John. I went to TireRack and was looking at their reviews specifically on the Perilli tires that will be on the R1T. Now I know Rivian worked with Perilli to customize these tires, but thinking these tires may give some good insight into say the AT vs Zero 22". From what I've read, Rivian really wanted Lower or Reduced Rolling resistance, reduced noise, and improved traction. The aftermarket Scorpion All Terrian on TireRack is highly rated which makes me lean even more towards the 20's with a forged wheel with a really great all-around tire.

Eric - thanks for the link. Most of my research on the ATs was done last year and I've not viewed that. The video does seem a bit like an infomercial to me... Reading the comments from Duck and RJ about the ATs recently have causing me to second guess the 22s (again!), especially since I like the look of the 20" wheel better, and prefer the stronger construction method.

However, in my gut I always go back to the "Jack of all trades - Master of none" concept as it pertains to tires. Living in Winter for 4-5 months a year I'm a firm believer in a dedicated winter tire with cold weather compound and a heavily siped tread pattern. I'm willing to accept the limited mileage life in return for the increased grip on ice and snow.

If you've not seen this clip it is worth a watch:
All-Season vs. Winter Tires: Is All-Wheel Drive Enough? (tirerack.com)

Several people have mentioned that the Pirelli ATs have the Three Peak Mountain Snowflake (3PMSF) rating as proof this will be good in snow. That is not necessarily the case: Three Peak Mountain Snowflake Tires: What they can -- and can't -- do | Hagerty Media

I would really like to see a comparison of the Pirelli ATs against a true winter tire such as the Blizzaks, but I doubt if that will happen anytime soon. My wish list for Rivian before I finalize my order includes the option of a Summer performance AS tire on the 20" wheels. Short of that, the best configuration for me (at least as I see it today) is for the 22s for Summer and a dedicated Winter set.

So, I'm still not yet settled on a solution! :headbang:

Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, White, Forest Edge, 22” Brights
Occupation
Mechanical, Engineering, Technician for Navy (Undersea Warfare)Retired
After well over 2 years of reading forum posts it seems the majority of us are buying the R1s as Adventure vehicles. Perhaps I'm an anomaly, but I see the R1T as the ultimate (for now) street performance truck. I will rarely, if ever, take it off-road. I'll only be on dirt roads to transport bicycles or kayaks to trails/rivers/lakes.
With nearly 800 HP, instant torque, relatively low center of gravity, and 4 motors it should be a blast on the road - especially with the 22" tires. Sorry, but I can't believe the 20" AT tires will perform on the street anywhere near as well as the 22s.

I can't wait to 'explore' it's corning limits on the back roads in my area... :)
Yup, that’s how I look at this truck. It’s a fast sport truck but yet when I need a truck to get me through the snow or haul whatever it’s able to, its there.
One might ask, if you want something quick why not buy a Tesla Plaid or some variant. For one thing its to pricey but the main reason is it’s too low to the ground. I’ve had trucks almost forever and I got used to the fact that I can see traffic ahead of me much better and makes me feel more comfortable and safer.
So, the Rivian is the best of all worlds for me. I’ve got speed to play (Sleeper truck) ?. I’ve got an EV that can handle hazardous road conditions like snow. i can play on logging roads on occasion, I have the height to see the road ahead. I can tow everything I need to tow and it has a bed. Perfect. I’m happy.
PS. I cant wait to go fast. Think I’ll race my son’s Camaro first. ??

Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, White, Forest Edge, 22” Brights
Occupation
Mechanical, Engineering, Technician for Navy (Undersea Warfare)Retired
Why not buy rims and tires for the warm weather and buy different tires and rims for the winter?
I’m old enough to remember doing that. Back in the day during the muscle car years most all cars were rear wheel drive. You had to switch out your street tires for snow tires or you just weren’t getting around in New England. You simply stored any tire wheel combo you had that wasn’t being used. plus your tires lasted longer because they were swapped out.
So for me it’s just as easy as that. Don’t beat yourself up choosing tires. If you can afford this EV it should not even be a concern. Buy 2 sets, period.

Sponsored

YamaLink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Why not buy rims and tires for the warm weather and buy different tires and rims for the winter?
I’m old enough to remember doing that. Back in the day during the muscle car years most all cars were rear wheel drive. You had to switch out your street tires for snow tires or you just weren’t getting around in New England. You simply stored any tire wheel combo you had that wasn’t being used. plus your tires lasted longer because they were swapped out.
So for me it’s just as easy as that. Don’t beat yourself up choosing tires. If you can afford this EV it should not even be a concern. Buy 2 sets, period.
As a former HM2 at NAS SOWEY, I think your two wheel/tire option is wicked sma't!

Ventura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Red Canyon 20" / Prius

They almost lost me at compounds for the snow (it's hot here), but regained my attention at laceration resistance.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS

Well I believe your are correct. I would guess very few here are really going to be using it off road

so now it’s a $100,000.00 sports truck. Pretty expensive if you ask me.
Sponsored