Sponsored

Anyone else on the fence between Lightning and Rivian R1T?

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
I have a lightning reservation. I like the size of rivian, hate the soft look of the ford. Also very limited details on Ford. The 4 motors are a big benefit. Not a fan that rivian lacks local support but their product seems far better
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I agreed with you whole-heartedly. Loved Tesla compared to dealerships for the first 2-3 years. But, then they grew. Customer service is atrocious. Month (or longer) waiting time to get in for service. Don't take phone calls, even for simple questions. After the last 3-4 years of dealing with this with the Tesla, I have to say, as much as I'm not a fan of "dealers", there are certainly some big advantages to them. I do appreciate Tesla's mobile service for items that can be done via mobile service, which Rivian will offer. That's the about the only thing I would truly miss if I go with the Ford.
I would sooner visit a Chrysler dealer than a ford one. And I own a ford!

HackyMoto

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 (Gray), Toyota Highlander (Gray)
Occupation
Engineer

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Not on the fence at all. I want my R1T. Why is that you ask? For me it comes down to 1 thing: the zero to 60 time. I'm finally going to get a really fast vehicle (that isn't a tesla).

That said, I'm still holding on the my Lightning reservation, just as a backup.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Nope. Never even considered it for a hot second. I can see why others might, but the F150 holds no attraction to me whatsoever.

Sponsored

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Rivian has made it clear that the current Driver+ is simply a lane keep assist and there will be an upcharge as they advance the system. Tesla charges a whopping $12,000 for "FSD". I've heard Rivian plans to start at $5,000. Personally, today, I think the Ford's system is superior, but Rivian will eventually surpass it. But, it will come at a cost of at least $5,000 more. Rivian has stated that for now, they're adopting Tesla's nag system rather than the camera based system, thus will not be a hands free system. Possibly in the future. But not now.
Perhaps the website has been updated since you last read the Driver+ info.

Rivian now includes all Driver+ features at no additional cost... Including hands-free driving.

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone else on the fence between Lightning and Rivian R1T? Screenshot_20220306-212802

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Each truck has advantages over the other. I'm taking whatever comes first. My Lightning is scheduled to be built in May, and delivery window for R1T is July/Sept. It's extremely likely I get the Lightning first.

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
I’m somewhat thankful that I didn’t put in a reservation for the Ford. That makes my choice much easier as I’m currently scheduled for R1T delivery in June/July. Sure, it’ll most certainly be later than that but still much earlier than I could get the Lightning.

Biggest drawback for me with the Ford is that it looks like every other Ford truck on the road, more or less. I currently drive a 2013 F150 Platinum and I had a 2001 F150 Lariat before that - 19 years of ownership between those two! I haven’t had a chance to see a R1T in person so I’m a bit worried about the size. My truck is the “family sedan” so I need the room. My Platinum is perfect today. The back seat area is big enough for two kids and a dog and all their stuff.

Bed size isn’t an issue for me. Sure there will be times when I wish the bed were bigger (moving, hauling yard waste, etc.) but that’s maybe .05% of the time I drive the truck. The frunk and gear tunnel will become hugely useful for taking trips with all the kids’ stuff, camping, etc. That’s most of what I used my truck bed for anyway.

I like the concept of the Ford “power wall” but I’ve also owned a 5,000 watt portable generator for 15 years and never used it due to a power outage. Maybe I’m just lucky.

I’ve never owned an EV so I don’t care too much about charging speed yet. Maybe I will at some point but it doesn’t factor into my decision right now.

If I decide not to get the R1T then the most likely path for me is to wait for Lightning V2, which is supposed to be on its own platform. My 2013 only has 120k miles and fits my life perfectly at the moment. I have no need to get something new.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Perhaps the website has been updated since you last read the Driver+ info.

Rivian now includes all Driver+ features at no additional cost... Including hands-free driving.

Screenshot_20220306-212802.jpg
I've seen it. There's additional literature after this that states there will be an upcharge for more full self drive related items. Based on the significant price increase of Rivian, including increases in features and reductions in features that were previously included, can be certain that they will not offer Full Self Driving (if they ever reach that capability) for no additional cost.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I doubt most people will still have these initial vehicles when/if full self driving ever gets government approval.

Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I doubt most people will still have these initial vehicles when/if full self driving ever gets government approval.
Pretty much. I don't see level 5 autonomy happening for quite some time.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Pretty much. I don't see level 5 autonomy happening for quite some time.
I agree with both of you. I was one of the sucker's that fell for Tesla's BS. Spent a bunch of money on a new one to get the latest hardware they said was necessary for FSD. It never came before I sold that car. Stupid me, fell for it a second time and paid for it on my last car too. Given, it has more features in that direction, but is honestly more challenging and requires more input and focus from the "driver" with it on than it does to just drive the car myself. Therefore, hardly ever use it. It literally scares the crap out of me when trying to use on city streets. Definitely not easy programming a computer to instantaneously make decisions we take for granted and make every day as humans while driving. Certainly, Tesla has gotten further than anyone, but still a LONG ways from being able to handle itself on the road. Correction, Tesla is the first to release such such features. They are bold and are using drivers to teach the system. Other manufacturers are willing to subject themselves to lawsuits and won't release such features until they're actually ready for use. It is fun to be part of it though.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

I will never pay extra for autonomous driving packages until it is really autonomous. It is a scam to get customers to pay for software that is still years away. It is such a complicated problem I would not trust anyone who predicts when it will be available at this point.

That said, once it is available I will throw money at them. :)

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I agree with both of you. I was one of the sucker's that fell for Tesla's BS. Spent a bunch of money on a new one to get the latest hardware they said was necessary for FSD. It never came before I sold that car. Stupid me, fell for it a second time and paid for it on my last car too. Given, it has more features in that direction, but is honestly more challenging and requires more input and focus from the "driver" with it on than it does to just drive the car myself. Therefore, hardly ever use it. It literally scares the crap out of me when trying to use on city streets. Definitely not easy programming a computer to instantaneously make decisions we take for granted and make every day as humans while driving. Certainly, Tesla has gotten further than anyone, but still a LONG ways from being able to handle itself on the road. Correction, Tesla is the first to release such such features. They are bold and are using drivers to teach the system. Other manufacturers are willing to subject themselves to lawsuits and won't release such features until they're actually ready for use. It is fun to be part of it though.
My understanding is that driver+ in its current iteration is very similar to blue cruise. Where I suspect it may be superior is on handling tight turns on the highway. From what I've heard, blue cruise does not do a particularly good job, and the limited amount to feedback I've heard about driver+ is that is seems to do a pretty good job luckily we should find out a lot more soon!

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I've seen it. There's additional literature after this that states there will be an upcharge for more full self drive related items. Based on the significant price increase of Rivian, including increases in features and reductions in features that were previously included, can be certain that they will not offer Full Self Driving (if they ever reach that capability) for no additional cost.
Well, if the standard referred to is FSD (Full self driving), then I am sure there will be additional charges. I was not referring to FSD. In your post to which I responded, you stated Driver+ will not be hands free... at least not for now.. That's not true, unless of course Rivian pulls another bait and switch on customers.

It is definitely a hands free system included with every vehicle sold for no additional cost. That's not a future thing... It's a now feature.

That much is made clear on the website. That's the most current info directly from Rivian.

If you don't trust Rivian and think they will not honor what is clearly stated on their website... Well... I don't think anyone would blame you. Trusting Rivian might be a challenge at this time, but Rivian is clearly claiming to offer hands free driving for no additional cost on every vehicle sold.
Sponsored

Last edited: