Sponsored

Anyone else on the fence between Lightning and Rivian R1T?

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Two different trucks, both with appeal in their own rights. Because they're different, makes it tough. Anyone in the same boat, having a tough time deciding?

I've been in Tesla's for 8 years. Had two plug-ins hybrids prior to that. So, I'm locked into EV's, period. After years of driving SUV's and Trucks, I've missed the high position a full size SUV or truck provides. Hate not being about to see around SUV's that make up the majority of cars on the road. So, my two primary goals with my next one, 1. Must be an EV with around 300 miles in range. 2. Must be a vehicle that gets me higher up off the ground. In this respect, both satisfy both goals.

I personally prefer the smaller size overall of the Rivian, but at the same time, appreciate the MUCH larger rear leg room, frunk and bed space the F-150 offers. The gear tunnel of the Rivian is a cool feature, but after seeing it in person, is probably too narrow for anything I'd use it for. Now that we have frunks, the gear tunnel, for me isn't really necessary. I would rather Rivian had provided more rear seat leg room. My personal opinion. Fords frunk is also more appealing with the front end opening, and is larger in size.

So, while I would prefer the size of the Rivian, I think the benefits of the extra space the Ford offers, is enough to offset that.

I do also prefer the off-road oriented styling of the Rivian, although am not a fan of the front end styling. After 4 years, it hasn't grown on me. The F-150 looks like every other F-150, so it's nothing special, but isn't a bad looking truck. Not in love with either, but if this were the only decision, the Rivian would win out.

Having briefly owned a Model 3, I absolutely HATED having to control everything from the center screen. Much prefer the Model S that has a few physical controls. The Ford certainly offers more function at your fingertips with the buttons on the steering wheel, thus will become muscle memory and you'll never have to look once you get used to them. Rivian followed the Tesla playbook. Could live with it, but personal preference is to have a few physical buttons for highly used items.

Again, referencing a Model 3 versus Model S, I absolutely LOVE the air suspension on the Model S. There haven't been any true reviews of the F-150's ride quality that I've found, but Rivian wins big in my book with the adjustable air suspension. Rivian certainly has better "performance", but it's a friggen truck. Do I really care if I can do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds (realistic based on real world tests) versus 4.5 for the Ford? Both are plenty quick for my driving style.

On the flip side, I have been considering solar and battery backup power for my home. I absolutely love Ford's ability to power my home for 3 days. Also, was disappointed to see that Rivian's 110v outlets only put out a max of 1,500 watts (combined) versus the Ford at 9,600 watts. Basically, with the Ford, it's like having a full size generator for camping, home, work, etc. The Rivian, offers some utility, but will certainly not be enough output to rely on solely for a weekend camping. Could plug in a few home items with an extension cord in the event of a power outage, but certainly lacks the appeal of an automatic switch over to battery power for the entire home. Plus, saves me a ton on home battery system that would have about 1/10th of the capacity the truck battery offers.

Pricing. Both are within $1,000 of each other, per my configurations. Seems as though, based on the above, the Ford offers more utility for the same money. When Rivian jacked up their pricing, dilemma over, cancelled immediately, Ford it was. Now, with Rivian reversing course, it put it back on the table. But, where I was previously leaning towards the Rivian, after that fiasco, despite reversing course, I'm now leaning towards the Ford.

Assuming Rivian will be more Tesla like when it comes to Service, parts availability, damage repair costs, insurance costs. Rivian's mobile service is very appealing. But, the Ford wins out on the rest of it as I assume repair costs, parts availability will be better on the Ford. Rivian does have the better warranty at 5/60,000 to Ford's 3/36,000.

Finally, while neither will offer a Lease option at launch, Ford is basically offering an equal alternative. Still a purchase, but will have a balloon payment and they'll have a guaranteed buyback price after three years. So basically, it's identical to a lease, other than you are actually the owner, which allows you to get the Federal Tax Credit, whereas on a lease, you don't get it. So, Ford certainly has more attractive financing options.

I could go on and on. Again, very different appealing features for each. I wish Ford would have done a Raptor version of the Lighting with Off-Road styling, then it would be a no-brainer.

I've been on the fence since May of last year and still can't fully decide. Wanted to see if any others were in a similar boat and had any feedback to share from their perspective. Any other positives / negatives I'm missing?
Sponsored

Last edited:

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
I've been on the fence since May of last year and still can't fully decide. Wanted to see if any others were in a similar boat and had any feedback to share from their perspective. Any other positives / negatives I'm missing?
I'm going with whichever vehicle I can get first. It appears Rivian has the lead now, so my son-in-law is getting my Ford reservation. Next year, when I'm able to compare, it's possible I'll sell the Rivian and get the Ford.

Like you, I prefer the smaller size, quad motors and air suspension, but I prefer more leg room in the back, longer bed, and the 9600 watts. Ford's Driver Assist features may be a little more advanced (?), trailer package and Car Play. It's also a proven manufacturer. Lots to like about both companies, but I need a vehicle now. I can always trade later.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I'm going with whichever vehicle I can get first. It appears Rivian has the lead now, so my son-in-law is getting my Ford reservation. Next year, when I'm able to compare, it's possible I'll sell the Rivian and get the Ford.

Like you, I prefer the smaller size, quad motors and air suspension, but I prefer more leg room in the back, longer bed, and the 9600 watts. Ford's Driver Assist features may be a little more advanced (?), trailer package and Car Play. It's also a proven manufacturer. Lots to like about both companies, but I need a vehicle now. I can always trade later.
Ditto on all the points you mentioned that I didn't cover in my post. Other than, for me, Ford has taken my order and is scheduled for production, delivery due in June. Rivian, still hasn't converted me to an actual order. If they haven't by June, then absolutely not going to pass on the Ford being available for delivery.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I totally get it. It's going to sound really dumb, but the fold up rear seat with fold flst storage is the biggest feature I personally think that the R1T is missing for me from a design standpoint.

My wife and I are reaaaaaly bored with the f150 styling. I wish they would have brought in some of the Raptor cues or something.

One potential downside of the f150 is fast charging. It's not clear if they are quoting charging times on a 150kw charger because that's what most chargers at EA are, or if that's the ~approximate peak rate. If it's the latter I'm totally baffled as to how Ford managed that when the MME also achieves ~150kw peak.

The towing customization and memory of the F150 is also a big win. I suspect their range predictions in the nav are slightly better as well.

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I'm in the same boat as you.

I'm really bitter about the way Ford handled their reservation and order process. On the other hand, I do prefer the bigger cab, bed, and a few other features of the Ford.

In reality, I'll probably end up with whichever one I can get delivered first.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Ford's Driver Assist features may be a little more advanced (?),
From what I've heard, I have a feeling Driver+ will perform better than blue cruise currently does. I won't guarantee it, but it seems to be the case.

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
i‘m in the exact same situation with the exact same thinking on both trucks. I’m leaning Rivian, mostly because the cons of the Rivian can be manage better than Ford. Rear seating is less, but its not bad. Cargo space is less, but I’ll likely never need more. The Ford power options is great, but was thinking I could use a Ecoflow Delta pro (1 or 2) to handle high watt spikes while using the 110v outlet in the Rivian to keep it charged While camping (travel trailer AC maybe) or backup power. Could even pair the eco flow with solar panels and require less juice from the Rivian. While it’s much harder to manage Ford cons. Ford isnt off-road capable and not much to do about that. thats important to me and the ford is just going to do well. The looks are just plain and while I can deal with it, will never look like a cool EV truck. However might just come down to which I can actually buy…

Joninrye

First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Like you, I feel the ability to act as a backup power source for my home is a huge plus for the Ford. If the Rivian could do this the choice would be easy.

I’m a march/April Rivian delivery and May 16th build for the Ford…so who knows which will arrive first.

At this point I’ve pretty much talked myself into keeping both.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Isn't it about time to see some reviews on the F150 Lightning? Range, 0-60 times, charge curve, etc?

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

From what I've heard, I have a feeling Driver+ will perform better than blue cruise currently does. I won't guarantee it, but it seems to be the case.
I agree that Rivian will eventually have a better system. However, as of now, Blue Cruise is more advanced. I loved Tesla AP when it first came out. But all the youtube idiots ruined and now it nags you every 12 seconds to wiggle the wheel. Much prefer the true Hand Free Ford will offer, even if only on highways. Also, Blue Cruise is included with the Lariat and above. Rivian has made it clear that the current Driver+ is simply a lane keep assist and there will be an upcharge as they advance the system. Tesla charges a whopping $12,000 for "FSD". I've heard Rivian plans to start at $5,000. Personally, today, I think the Ford's system is superior, but Rivian will eventually surpass it. But, it will come at a cost of at least $5,000 more. Rivian has stated that for now, they're adopting Tesla's nag system rather than the camera based system, thus will not be a hands free system. Possibly in the future. But not now. Tesla originally said a Model S would drive across the country on its own in 2019. Three years later, still not there. It's a very difficult system to develop. Thus, likely expect it will take Rivian quite some time to offer more than basic "lane keep assist" function.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Isn't it about time to see some reviews on the F150 Lightning? Range, 0-60 times, charge curve, etc?
Ford hasn't sold any F-150 Lightnings yet and won't allow anyone to do a full review yet. Would assume, now that they're finally in production, or very close to, we'll start to see these reviews in the next month, which I too am looking very forward to. Primarily, to hear about ride quality and real world range. Personally, not swayed by acceleration performance. Both will be plenty quick enough for a truck for me.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Rivian wins for me because it’s the right size, all the details are well thought out, and, I can’t stress this enough, I don’t have to deal with a ford dealership ever again.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Rivian wins for me because it’s the right size, all the details are well thought out, and, I can’t stress this enough, I don’t have to deal with a ford dealership ever again.
I agreed with you whole-heartedly. Loved Tesla compared to dealerships for the first 2-3 years. But, then they grew. Customer service is atrocious. Month (or longer) waiting time to get in for service. Don't take phone calls, even for simple questions. After the last 3-4 years of dealing with this with the Tesla, I have to say, as much as I'm not a fan of "dealers", there are certainly some big advantages to them. I do appreciate Tesla's mobile service for items that can be done via mobile service, which Rivian will offer. That's the about the only thing I would truly miss if I go with the Ford.

805Badger

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Model X
Occupation
Physicist
I didn't expect to like the F150 that much. I was travelling when the reveal was done and was impressed enough that I put in a reservation. We went and test drove an ICE F-150 and my wife fell in love with the storage and design, so we are getting on of each. LE R1T for me in March/April and a Wave 4 Lariat ER for her.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
IMO, the Lightning's exceptionally poor charging speed (200 miles in 40+ minutes according to Ford, real-world will be worse!) makes it a non-starter. I am taking Rivian at its word for now that the current generation of R1s will be OTA upgraded to 250kw+ As it stands, however, the Lightning is not a practical road trip or tow vehicle due to its slow DCFC.
Sponsored