Sponsored

anyone else hate the 20" R1S wheels?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
WOW they're both ROUND! STOP THE PRESSES!!!

Chris S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Model 3 Perf, '19 MX-5 Club, '22 Model Y Perf
Occupation
REALTOR
I greatly prefer the R1T 20's. It's kind of crazy you can pay even more for the R1S wheels in black on the R1T and get an uglier wheel for more. I wish they'd just make the R1T 20" wheel their only 20" design.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I wish they'd just make the R1T 20" wheel their only 20" design.
Yeah, and while they're at it, make the R1T the only model, and Launch Green the only color ?.

Having more choice never hurt anyone - no harm in leaving the R1S 20's as an option, but they should try and make the R1T's 20" design available in black for those who want it.

AndrewSEA

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I prefer the R1T 20" as well. Hope I can switch. Otherwise I'll need to investigate powder coating.

Sponsored

Lobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Touareg, A8, Q7 urQ
Loos like the truck wheels are in the R1S configurator now.
Rivian R1T R1S anyone else hate the 20" R1S wheels? 1621105000589

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
It's going to be really interesting to see how much of a range/efficiency difference there is from one wheel to the next. I'm guessing the 21" road will be best. There could very well be a difference in range between the two styles of All-Terrain (dark looks like it's just a recolor of the other).

Texasag05

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-250 King Ranch, 2022 Bronco OB Sasquatch
Occupation
EVP, paving highways to drive these awesome vehicles
I’m just settling for now on the 20” Black for my R1S. If they offered R1T but in black I’d be all over. Probably not mind the premium either. Oh well.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I’m just settling for now on the 20” Black for my R1S. If they offered R1T but in black I’d be all over. Probably not mind the premium either. Oh well.
I'm with you in that I thought the R1T's 20-inch wheel would have been the more desirable one to give the blackout treatment to. It's not as busy, yet looks more businesslike for the A.T. tires. Oh well, the configurations people made may have revealed a very low demand for the R1S's 20's. Because of that, they may have had way more on hand and/or on order than they had demand for.

As always, it's good to have options. One of those options, and it may be a huge cost savings as well, is to take the standard R1T 20's and have them blacked out locally. As others have mentioned, that can be done for relatively little cost.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I'm with you in that I thought the R1T's 20-inch wheel would have been the more desirable one to give the blackout treatment to. It's not as busy, yet looks more businesslike for the A.T. tires. Oh well, the configurations people made may have revealed a very low demand for the R1S's 20's. Because of that, they may have had way more on hand and/or on order than they had demand for.

As always, it's good to have options. One of those options, and it may be a huge cost savings as well, is to take the standard R1T 20's and have them blacked out locally. As others have mentioned, that can be done for relatively little cost.
The frustrating thing is that they have shown the 20' R1T blackout wheels driving around...

Texasag05

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-250 King Ranch, 2022 Bronco OB Sasquatch
Occupation
EVP, paving highways to drive these awesome vehicles

I may do that. Go from 3500 to only 1800 and then find someone to coat them.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Cool looking dog you have there. That look clearly says, "Jesus, dad! It's been over 17 Dog Years since they debuted that cool SUV you ordered. Where the Hell is it! I'm ready for a road trip!"

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I may do that. Go from 3500 to only 1800 and then find someone to coat them.
YES. Everyone should consider this. It will only take a day or two, and you can even get something more interesting than gloss/satin/flat black if you want. Shouldn't cost more than $200/wheel tops. Down here in TX, it should be $400-600 for a very high quality job on 4, depending on how fancy you get.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

YES. Everyone should consider this. It will only take a day or two, and you can even get something more interesting than gloss/satin/flat black if you want. Shouldn't cost more than $200/wheel tops. Down here in TX, it should be $400-600 for a very high quality job on 4, depending on how fancy you get.
I've never had wheels wrapped, but I've had friends say they've done it, and had it removed a few years later. Is that a realistic expectation and does the original finish survive the entire process?
Sponsored