Anyone done Ophir Pass in an R1T?

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Planning a Colorado trip and looking for an easy to moderate trail near Million Dollar Highway...has anyone done Ophir Pass? Any concerns with difficulty, pinstriping, etc? (Other than the shelf road that is one-way only it seems)
Sponsored

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
It's been a few years since we've done it, but we did it in our Audi allroad, so you should have no problem in your R1T! Another interesting area is the red mountain mining district, parallel to hwy 550. The Charles wells Colorado guide book is helpful in finding the way.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback

JohnnyRico

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Indeed I have! Ophir is a relatively easy pass. Lots of loose rock on the shelf portion of the road. It’s a relatively wide trail, except for the shelf portion, which has no vegetation close by, so minimal chances for pinstriping. The whole area around Ouray and Telluride is ripe with amazing trails. I wouldn’t hesitate to do any of them in an R1T, except maybe Black Bear pass - too high of a pucker factor for me! Although I do recall seeing an R1T go over that pass in a Rivian video a while back.

OP
OP
DaveA

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Indeed I have! Ophir is a relatively easy pass. Lots of loose rock on the shelf portion of the road. It’s a relatively wide trail, except for the shelf portion, which has no vegetation close by, so minimal chances for pinstriping. The whole area around Ouray and Telluride is ripe with amazing trails. I wouldn’t hesitate to do any of them in an R1T, except maybe Black Bear pass - too high of a pucker factor for me! Although I do recall seeing an R1T go over that pass in a Rivian video a while back.
Thanks, I had forgotten about your write up previously. đź‘Ť

Sponsored

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
OP
OP
DaveA

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Did it a few years ago with my Tacoma. Should be cake walk with the Rivian. I'll be in Colorado with my R1T late August and might try to hit a few passes.

Imogene was a good time, but I would probably pass on Black Bear, personally...

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Although I do recall seeing an R1T go over that pass in a Rivian video a while back.
I trimmed to much from the quote, but concerning Black Bear Pass...

It was a MotorTrend video and there's zero chance they didn't drag a rock down the passenger side on the first major switchback below the steps. They never showed that side of the truck afterwards, but it didn't look pretty when I saw it happen on the line they took.

Last edited:

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Ophir is one of the easiest trails in the area short of Last Dollar Rd with the biggest challenge being a narrow shelf road and one steep section. Beautiful views and definitely recommend it. A good way to do it is take Imogene from Ouray to Telluride and then take Ophir back to 550/Ouray.

Another great day on the trails would be to take Corkscrew off 550 over Hurricane and California Pass to Animas Forks ghost town. From there you can take CR2 down into Silverton. No real risks other than more shelf roads. I really enjoy Mineral Creek, but I'm not sure the Rivian can pull it off without body damage risk due to some tight corners with rocks along with getting tippy next to a soft trail edge. Running Mineral Creek to Animas and then out through Corkscrew is a great day, but again...I'm not sure if the Rivian can do it yet. Personal opinion, but Mineral Creek is one of the more technical trails in the area...even Black Bear isn't *that* difficult save for the steps and the tight switchbacks. Corkscrew just has tight switchbacks to deal with that will require 3+ point turns with the R1's long wheelbase. But seriously...the Ouray area has some of the best off-roading in the country and just amazing sights. I have not done the Alpine Loop yet, but it should be easily doable by the Rivian and there are DC chargers on the Lake City and Ouray ends. Enjoy your trip!

FYI, it does look like Ouray has added two of the higher power ChargePoint units in addition to the two slower units that were already there. Lake City appears to just have the 62 kW units.

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T R1S Anyone done Ophir Pass in an R1T? 1687798922733

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone done Ophir Pass in an R1T? 1687799149461
Sponsored