Sponsored

JohnnyRico

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Took the R1T over Imogene pass a couple of weekends ago. The truck really does shine on the trail.

My route was from Ouray to Camp Bird, to Imogene Pass, to Telluride, to Ophir Pass, and back to Ouray. About 54 miles. I left Ouray with about 200 miles of range and returned with about 110 miles. Of note, Ouray now has two high speed chargers.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Over Imogene Pass, CO IMG_0398

Ouray's elevation is about 7,800', Imogene is 13,114', and Ophir at 11,800'. Temps were in the 60's at lower elevations and in the upper 40's at the pass.

From Camp Bird to Telluride I chose Off-Road mode with max suspension height. In no instance did I bottom out or scrape and the R1T handled every obstacle I drove over with zero hesitation. Ophir pass is a bit milder, and I used off-road with the high suspension setting.

Traffic was fairly light. Almost all of the folks I encountered stopped and wanted to know more about the truck. All were super friendly and very impressed.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Over Imogene Pass, CO IMG_0400

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Over Imogene Pass, CO IMG_0401

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Over Imogene Pass, CO crawling down a rock

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Over Imogene Pass, CO Imogene scenery

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Over Imogene Pass, CO Imogene Pass

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Over Imogene Pass, CO Ophir pass

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Over Imogene Pass, CO Rivian hero shot

My truck has about 10k miles and has a couple of rattles, notably in the center of the dash. It's especially annoying over washboarded roads. My truck also has the tok/clunk during acceleration/deceleration, but I didn't notice it at all on the trail. Interestingly, the tok disappeared for a couple days after being on the trail, but it came back.

I personally would not consider Imogene Pass "hard-core" 4-wheeling, but it's also not for the beginner. Super fun day and a great set of roads for the R1T.
Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Imogene is bad azz! Nice work and lovely pics.

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Love that trail!

Look forward to taking truck over it.

Also look forward to not spewing diesel smoke at altitude in my Land Cruiser as I make that assent.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My truck has about 10k miles and has a couple of rattles, notably in the center of the dash. It's especially annoying over washboarded roads. My truck also has the tok/clunk during acceleration/deceleration, but I didn't notice it at all on the trail. Interestingly, the tok disappeared for a couple days after being on the trail, but it came back.
The speaker grille in the center of my dash has started making vibration noises. It stops if I stick a finger in the edge of it so I know that's what it is.

fhteagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, considering R1S
I personally would not consider Imogene Pass "hard-core" 4-wheeling, but it's also not for the beginner. Super fun day and a great set of roads for the R1T.
Nice writeup and photos. I live 30 min west of Tride but have yet to do that pass on wheels, but I've been up Ingram Creek on foot and it's awesome.

Didn't stop at the crazy high priced DCFC at the Conoco I take it?

How was the road east from Ophir?

Sponsored

OP
OP
JohnnyRico

JohnnyRico

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
The speaker grille in the center of my dash has started making vibration noises. It stops if I stick a finger in the edge of it so I know that's what it is.
Yeah. I had the truck in for some service and they did install some foam to quiet it down. That helped, but alas, not while off-roading.

OP
OP
JohnnyRico

JohnnyRico

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Nice writeup and photos. I live 30 min west of Tride but have yet to do that pass on wheels, but I've been up Ingram Creek on foot and it's awesome.

Didn't stop at the crazy high priced DCFC at the Conoco I take it?

How was the road east from Ophir?
LOL! I did stop at that charger! But not to charge. Just a potty break.

Ophir is a pretty easy road, but it has a ton of broken up, sharp rocks. I was awaiting the dreaded hiss of a slashed tire, but I escaped unscathed.

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
Man, you have to stop posting about the great adventures in your Rivian!!!!! And, stop posting the incredible pictures!

Adventures up amazing mountain passes like Imogene are supposed to be kept secret for us locals!!!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Amazing pics from up there! Thanks for sharing.

VenturaLuke

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Flight Nurse
I've done Imogene several times in my old Jeep and can't wait to do it in my Rivian! Hoping to plan a trip this summer. I have done the opposite of what you did, Ophir over to Telluride and then Imogene back and then my favorite that I've done a couple times is Black Bear over to Telluride and Imogene back. I've never run Imogene in the direction that you did. That whole area is so epic. The Alpine loop (Engineer and Cinnamon), cork screw, hurricane, etc. Such a fun place to spend some time!

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

From Camp Bird to Telluride I chose Off-Road mode with max suspension height. In no instance did I bottom out or scrape and the R1T handled every obstacle I drove over with zero hesitation. Ophir pass is a bit milder, and I used off-road with the high suspension setting.

IMG_0401.jpg
I was going to ask if you'd gone over "the rock" or got tippy. Glad to hear it didn't rub going up onto the rock. I'm disappointed you didn't go out on poser rock for a picture above Upper Camp Bird min though. :p I am surprised you ran most of Imogene in max height though...the ride quality must've been terrible. I'd have assumed you could've done the whole trail in High instead.

Can't wait to do some traveling down there in a Rivian...if I'm really lucky, next summer, otherwise 2024 for sure. I was just down there a month ago with my 4Runner and ran the same loop on the first day.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Over Imogene Pass, CO DJI_0065

OP
OP
JohnnyRico

JohnnyRico

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I was going to ask if you'd gone over "the rock" or got tippy. Glad to hear it didn't rub going up onto the rock. I'm disappointed you didn't go out on poser rock for a picture above Upper Camp Bird min though. :p I am surprised you ran most of Imogene in max height though...the ride quality must've been terrible. I'd have assumed you could've done the whole trail in High instead.

Can't wait to do some traveling down there in a Rivian...if I'm really lucky, next summer, otherwise 2024 for sure. I was just down there a month ago with my 4Runner and ran the same loop on the first day.

DJI_0065.jpg
The ride quality at max height is actually pretty good. Indeed, a lot of that trail could have been done on just the high setting, but I tend to have a “set and forget” mentality!

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
Nice write up on the passes. I just got back home from there but took our Subaru with the camper. I did take my other electric vehicle - an Alta motorcycle. In the campground in Ouray I met another rider and we did Black Bear down to Telluride and back up Imogene. I was completely out of charge at the top of Imogene, thank goodness for regen. I got back to the campground with a very thin bar of charge left and 48 miles on the odometer. The Aspen were getting really nice. The San Juans are one of my favorite areas of the country. I did notice the chargers at the hot springs and wished I had my Rivian there.
Rivian R1T R1S R1T Over Imogene Pass, CO IMG_8080
Rivian R1T R1S R1T Over Imogene Pass, CO FullSizeRender
Sponsored