Sponsored

Anyone Cross-Shopping the Audi e-Tron SUV?

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
As an LE R1S pre-order left in limbo, I'm starting to cross-shop so I can get a vehicle in this calendar year and maximize my combination of state and federal tax credits. My wife already has a Volvo XC40 Recharge Pure Electric that we really enjoy so that's definitely on the table - especially since Volvo has done a really good job of updating the experience via OTAs.

My next vehicle I'm starting to look at is the Audi e-Tron SUV. It's a similar platform to the XC40 and my current Subaru Forester. I'm a little frustrated that the factory EPA range is 222 miles. Anything else I should look at or be aware of from Audi?
Sponsored

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
I have one. I like it. It charges incredibly fast. The charging curve is a flat 150kW all the way to 80%. So the range isn’t amazing, but it’s still good for road trips due to the fast charging.

It’s got a ton of nice creature comforts as well. Massaging seats, soft close doors, etc. I *really* like the braking system they have too. If you let off the throttle, this vehicle coasts better than almost any other. When you touch the brakes, it’s 100% regen. No blended garbage. It only starts to add in the friction brakes if you ask for more braking power than regen can provide on its own. But it’s damn near seamless when it does so. (I had to put a lot of miles on the car before I could start to discern it.) If you prefer one pedal driving, it has that too, but it’s not as strong as many others. It does have a neat in between mode though where it’s smart one pedal. If there’s nobody in front of you, it coasts. If there is, it uses regen to slow just enough to maintain distance.

The only problem with the etron is that the infotainment is not EV-first. EV route planning sucks, and it still shows you gas stations in the maps.

Bbernardo

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 Tacoma / 08 H3
We are in a similar spot too.. H1 2023 estimated window for our R1S and also looking at the Audi eTron. We were able to get a test drive and really like it but haven't pulled the trigger on it (hoping the Rivian production ramp catches up). The other vehicle we are considering is the Cadillac Lyriq... but still have some homework to do on it. I'll be following this thread for input as well.

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
I know some will immediately discount it for its looks, but the IX is a better car if you can swing it.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I know some will immediately discount it for its looks, but the IX is a better car if you can swing it.
Get it in all black.

hroussel

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3 perf, (R1T DMP reserved)
As an LE R1S pre-order left in limbo, I'm starting to cross-shop so I can get a vehicle in this calendar year and maximize my combination of state and federal tax credits. My wife already has a Volvo XC40 Recharge Pure Electric that we really enjoy so that's definitely on the table - especially since Volvo has done a really good job of updating the experience via OTAs.

My next vehicle I'm starting to look at is the Audi e-Tron SUV. It's a similar platform to the XC40 and my current Subaru Forester. I'm a little frustrated that the factory EPA range is 222 miles. Anything else I should look at or be aware of from Audi?
I also have a LE R1S on pre order. My original delivery window was July-September but given the delays we see I don't think anything will happen this year, especially here in Canada.

And I'm also considering the e-tron, although the upcoming refresh, the one that should have over 300mi of range. I could not justify putting near 100K$ (CAN$) on a car that has less range than a Chevy Bolt. I know it charges fast, but here in Canada chargers above 100kw are somewhat rare. Electrify Canada is a joke at this point.

And let's not forget that when the new e-tron, with much better range, arrives then the current model might take a serious drop in resale value. If I were in the US, given your better infrastructure, I would consider it only if I planned to keep it several years.

The iX is another interesting option (I don't mind the look). But it's also hard to get, with no allocations left for 2022. And did you know it doesn't have a tow hitch in North America? Meh!

The bottom line is that if you want something this year, the choices are extremely limited. The available vehicles, like Bolt and e-tron, are available because, well, nobody wants them.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I looked at the E-Tron a couple of years ago. The interior slopes down in the rear and is not big enough for our dogs.

The E-Tron is more of a Tesla Model X competitor that an R1S.

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
The Mercedes EQB is coming out and priced pretty well from what I saw this week

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
I also drove the Hyundai Ioniq 5 when they cranked the prices up in March. It’s more of a hatchback crossover but the AWD should have good power and it has a ton of space. Almost better than the e-tron

Sponsored

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
I have a June July slot for an R1S and will keep waiting until October and then make a decision

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Similar boat.

I have a July to September delivery window for an R1T but Rivian refuses to respond to any of my emails, which is starting to annoy me. And as I see all the reports of glitches pile up on these message boards, my enthusiasm for Rivian is waning...

The iX isn't as ugly to me as it is to some but seems pretty limited in cargo space. I'm starting to take a closer look at the EQB, which seems in the same ballpark as the e-tron:
https://www.mbusa.com/en/future-vehicles/2022-eqb-suv

Local dealer says they'll have them in stock in the coming months. 260 mi estimated range. $60K.

OP
OP
svet-am

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Thanks for all of the feedback. I really appreciate it. I thought of the IX but the last time I priced one it hit $110k USD for the features I want. That’s a bit rich for me. When I was looking at local Audi inventory today they said a local dealer has an eTron Chronos edition in stock for $85k, just a little bit more than my R1S configuration.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Similar boat.

I have a July to September delivery window for an R1T but Rivian refuses to respond to any of my emails, which is starting to annoy me. And as I see all the reports of glitches pile up on these message boards, my enthusiasm for Rivian is waning...

The iX isn't as ugly to me as it is to some but seems pretty limited in cargo space. I'm starting to take a closer look at the EQB, which seems in the same ballpark as the e-tron:
https://www.mbusa.com/en/future-vehicles/2022-eqb-suv

Local dealer says they'll have them in stock in the coming months. 260 mi estimated range. $60K.
The problem for me on the X is the slop of the roof makes it unusable for our dogs. It works better for people where rear cargo space is of no real importance.

It also has limited availability and is at least 20k more than the new prices of the Rivian R1S.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
The problem for me on the X is the slop of the roof makes it unusable for our dogs. It works better for people where rear cargo space is of no real importance.

It also has limited availability and is at least 20k more than the new prices of the Rivian R1S.
100% agree. My running joke with my wife about all of these SUV/coupe/hybrid things is that they have all the storage of a sedan combined with the on-road driving performance of an SUV... What more could you ask for?

The Mercedes I linked seems like an actual SUV. Even has an option for a third row. It's boxy, just like the R1S so I'm reasonably confident it'll fit our two 60-ish LB dogs plus gear and people. We haul them in an Audi allroad now and it's not perfect but it works.

If only there were something like a Rivian R1S that was actually available to purchase in the near future. Someone should tell Rivian that there's a real market opportunity here.
Sponsored