Sponsored

Any tests done on Vampire battery drain?

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
I disagree. When aggregated across all EV's, extra vampire drain becomes a very meaningful amount of power drain. For a company with an environmentally conscious mission they should be aiming to minimize that as much as possible.
25,000 R1Ts X 1 kWh/day = 25,000kWh/Day X 365 =9,125,000 kWh/year to vampire drain..."Forever".
Dirty_B
Sponsored

SunDevil2213

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Construction Cost Consultant

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
It is not just a matter of size of data. User must have the option to stay offline because content of the video may be sensitive and as the owner of the content, user may not want to lose possession of it (on the cloud means someone else has access to it regardless of what security guarantees Amazon or Rivian may give).
Does anyone know if there is an audio portion of the recording ie it records conversation as part of the video - that could really be much much worse than video in my opinion.
Dirty_B

Reactions: Max

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
While I don't disagree, the TOS/agreement you sign for the truck says they have access to pull any video they want, IE: You get in a wreck, they may pull video for crash analysis. So this is literally not just the "security risk" of your content getting loose, you have explicitly given them approval to view the content regardless.

I'm actually less concerned about the cloud getting "hacked" over my car videos, than the above.
I hope one of the lawyers in the house can pitch in. I often sign a piece of paper on scuba diving, sky diving and other diving trips noting that if I die, I won’t hold them responsible ( like my ghost has nothing better to do). Anyway, a lawyer told me a while back that regardless of what I signed, if I die due to their negligence, they can be sued. I wonder if Rivian misuse the data or someone they shared it with misuse it so that it results in harm to the owner, Rivian can lose a lawsuit. If anyone knows what kind of protection we may have in the absence of an offline button, please do share.

Last edited:

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

if anyone has a 12v trickle charger, it would be interesting to see what the drain is if you hook the trickle charger up to maintain the 12v while the vehicle isn't in use. Bonus points for monitoring the power use of the trickle charger to combine with the truck drain.

with the influx of 12v battery failures, I wonder if it would be good to leave the trickle charge attached while away from the vehicle for long periods of time.

Sponsored

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
Thinking about a road trip the day after taking delivery, probably 590 miles round trip, maybe 50 miles local driving at destination. No problems charging on the route to destination, EA DCFC on route, and staying at motel overnight with 3 Tesla and 1 J-1772 chargers, and are rarely used per the motel staff, hoping they are all functional, and have a Lectron Tesla to J-1772 adapter coming. After that, there are 4 days at a resort 25 miles away that does NOT have a charger but has some exterior 120v outlets that could be reached with an extension cord.

Thinking about watching carefully for Vampire energy drain at the resort the first day or two and plugging in with an extension cord in case there is significant energy drain. I am pretty sure Rivian will not recommend extension cords, but I have done this on my Bolt EV (no Vampire drain of significance) in the past to top off charge without problems, except that doesn't always work if electric current doesn't meet the EVSE standards, and it is very slow.

Anybody done this to cancel out the 1-3% Vampire drain? Extra precaution not to get stranded and call Rivian for help?

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

So, I am out of town this week and my wife has been taking care of the R1T. She said she drove it on Monday and when she got home (10am), the remaining miles were 211, then this morning it is at 159 miles. I think that is odd that it lost 50 miles in less than 2 days.

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
So, I am out of town this week and my wife has been taking care of the R1T. She said she drove it on Monday and when she got home (10am), the remaining miles were 211, then this morning it is at 159 miles. I think that is odd that it lost 50 miles in less than 2 days.
My concerns exactly! Never thought about this before with my BoltEV. Doesn't have a sophisticated alarm system using cameras, etc, and can leave it unplugged for weeks without significant drain. The R1T and Tesla's are apparently very different in this regard. Until there is a software fix (deep sleep parking mode?) to allow to park unplugged and cancel out this vampire drain, one has to think about alternative methods...like a trickle charge extension cord plug-in, or some sort of solar charger.

Last edited:

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Down to 47%, 140 miles

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
While I don't disagree, the TOS/agreement you sign for the truck says they have access to pull any video they want, IE: You get in a wreck, they may pull video for crash analysis. So this is literally not just the "security risk" of your content getting loose, you have explicitly given them approval to view the content regardless.

I'm actually less concerned about the cloud getting "hacked" over my car videos, than the above.

Actually, that agreement was optional. I, for one, skipped it.

Reactions: Max

Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I just spoke with service and the tech said that is normal. If you leave it for a while, keep it plugged in. That’s not going to work well.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

He said losing 10kWh a day is within expectations. Especially dependent on weather and how active GearGuard is.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
He said losing 10kWh a day is within expectations. Especially dependent on weather and how active GearGuard is.
I would escalate that up the chain. That should not be considered normal. At 22 cents a Kw for me that is 60 dollars a month. My Tesla Model S would not lose 10 kw in 2 weeks Through vampire drain.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I hope they get their crap together before my number is up. I really hate to pass up on R1S for this but I will if they don’t. Not just because I hate waste but because I just don’t know what else they may think is “normal” in Normal.
Sponsored