First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback
Occupation
Physicist
Hello, I put a deposit down on an R1S last August. I thought that I had a chance of getting a car this year, but I chatted online with a Rivian rep a few days ago and she told me that they would START delivering R1S vehicles from orders next year. The first orders (as opposed to pre-orders for launch editions, etc.) were taken in May 2022. This leads me to believe that even 2024 would be optimistic for delivery and 2025 (or 2026?) is more likely.

Does anyone have better information on delivery times? It seems to me that Rivian should be a LOT more transparent about the situation. Personally my current vehicle, a Subaru Outback, has 273,000 miles on it and may not last until Rivian gets caught up on their backlog.
Sponsored

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

Consider this.....some people are getting their R1S's - some sooner than others. For us, its been 2.5 years of waiting, but things are starting to move. We should have ours within the next 2 to 6 weeks. Given our timeline and the number of changes that have happened thus far, 2024 could be right on based on the time you started this process.

theyoungone

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
As someone who didnā€™t put their 1K down until October 22 I just donā€™t see the vehicle coming before Q3 24. Iā€™m projecting Dec 24 for mine. I will say that the backlog is literally in the midst of sorting itself out right now.

Between the R1S shop, some people canceling, and others getting the R1S 2 months before their stated delivery window I could really see you getting your car next year - I think theyā€™re really trying to lean into the under promise, over deliver thing more than they have.

The only unknown now is how dual motor orders factor in. I think Rivian, as theyā€™re ramping up R1S production, will prioritize dual motor slightly over quad for better profit margins. And if many orders switch from quad to dual I could see late 22 orders getting pushed out to Q1 of 25. Which works for me. I got a ton of money I need to save šŸ˜‚

OP
OP

SDMiner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback
Occupation
Physicist
Just got this reply to an email I sent Rivian:

Since we first began taking preorders back in 2018, the demand for the R1S has been very strong. We just had our first deliveries for Launch Edition R1S a few months ago, which were preordered in 2018-2020, and later in 2023 we will begin deliveries for Adventure Package R1S starting with the earliest preorder dates and forward. As you have a more recent August 2022 date, you will be invited to configure an R1S at the end of 2023, and be given a delivery estimate based on the options that you select

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Keep in mind that many preorder people have either changed to R1T (couldn't wait anymore) or cancelled. And the current push to massively deliver R1Ts over the next four months will induce more people to switch from the SUV to the truck.

The backlog for R1S is still high but they are delivering Adventure trimmed preorders (pre March 2022) now. The note you have must be for post March 2022 reservations.

My order is 11/2021 for R1S Adventure with the current delivery estimate of 1H2024. I fully expect to take delivery towards the last quarter of this year, assuming status quo. That said, I have no control so I don't get worked up about it. It will come when it does.

As for your Suby, good luck. It has gotten you this far so who knows....

Sponsored

theyoungone

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer

Since we first began taking preorders back in 2018, the demand for the R1S has been very strong. We just had our first deliveries for Launch Edition R1S a few months ago, which were preordered in 2018-2020, and later in 2023 we will begin deliveries for Adventure Package R1S starting with the earliest preorder dates and forward. As you have a more recent August 2022 date, you will be invited to configure an R1S at the end of 2023, and be given a delivery estimate based on the options that you select
Again I see you configuring this quarter or next. And if your configure dual youā€™ll definitely be getting it sooner rather than later.

OP
OP

SDMiner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback
Occupation
Physicist
Again I see you configuring this quarter or next. And if your configure dual youā€™ll definitely be getting it sooner rather than later.
Hope so. I think it would help for Rivian to be more transparent about the whole process and give us more details about what's going on.

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

"..., and later in 2023 we will begin deliveries for Adventure Package R1S starting with the earliest preorder dates and forward."
IMHO, Rivian's customer service has a credibility problem.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Hello, I put a deposit down on an R1S last August. I thought that I had a chance of getting a car this year, but I chatted online with a Rivian rep a few days ago and she told me that they would START delivering R1S vehicles from orders next year. The first orders (as opposed to pre-orders for launch editions, etc.) were taken in May 2022. This leads me to believe that even 2024 would be optimistic for delivery and 2025 (or 2026?) is more likely.

Does anyone have better information on delivery times? It seems to me that Rivian should be a LOT more transparent about the situation. Personally my current vehicle, a Subaru Outback, has 273,000 miles on it and may not last until Rivian gets caught up on their backlog.
Transparency is not the Rivian way. Just take a deep breath, hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

And then that estimate will change every 90 days for about 18 months šŸ˜‰

Sponsored

Hodog16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ioniq 5, 2023 G63, 2021 Odyssey
Good info thanks. I placed a deposit on 8/31/22 for the R1S and figured I was looking at late 2024 or 2025. Would be awesome to get a configuration invitation before end of the year.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Good info thanks. I placed a deposit on 8/31/22 for the R1S and figured I was looking at late 2024 or 2025. Would be awesome to get a configuration invitation before end of the year.
I would still expect a late 2024 at the earliest based on my October 2021 delivery estimate of mid 2024.

joey128

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi A8 & Q7, Ford Exc PSD
Occupation
Tech
I reserved a R1S back in Sept 2021. Delivery date slipped about 3x. Most recent update is now July - Dec 2024.

Nothing fancy with my config:
White ext / Blk int
20ā€ tires/r

All else Std/default (Adventure, Quad, long rang batt)

I did add the wall charger and did not pick the underbody guard.

how about others? What was your pre-order & delivery date, and what options did you pick?

Honey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford edge 2013
Occupation
Firefighter
Rivian R1T R1S Any guess at the wait time for an R1S?? the-sandlot-forever
Sponsored