SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Glad you are both okay. Hope it stays that way over the next week too.
Don't forget to snag the flashlight and speaker.
Sponsored

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
Holy shitballs Batman!! Totaled for sure. Glad you guys are safe. Someone probably already asked, but was the other guy insured and/or do you have uninsured motorist coverage?

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
I'm really happy you are both OK and hope the other driver is also. I'd consider reaching out to the professional that offered their services above to ensure you have the best outcome, especially with someone driving without a plate.

Other than the fact that you or your son could have latent medical issues, I'd be concerned about the truck replacement value. Why? When I was looking at insurance at purchase I asked the three companies I was evaluating about "full replacement value" insurance.

They all said they insured for the price purchased. Rivian Nationwide was the only one of the three that offered "purchase price + 10%". Perhaps Progressive is also some sort of exception?

Good luck with everything!

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
.....They all said they insured for the price purchased. Rivian Nationwide was the only one of the three that offered "purchase price + 10%". Perhaps Progressive is also some sort of exception?.....
That would be my concern as well; assuming OP got his R1T at pre March 2022 pricing and will now have to repurchase at post March pricing.

Sponsored

OP
OP

rivianUGA

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon
Yeah my vin was in the 3s. I got original pricing and had wrapped it with PPF and ceramic too fwiw. I assume there is No way I’m ever made whole. At this point I have to mostly hope the folks at rivian will work with me to get a replacement and not be moved to the back of the line. And I’m not sure what the price difference is now from then. It was the launch edition with 22s, large pack, etc.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Op I’m so sorry and impressed with your strong faith—admittedly, praying for the other guy would have been down my list further. Was your son older and in the front seat? Airbags worked well? (Perhaps rhetorical.). RJ owes you and your son a personal factory tour of body assembly. I know you’ll be made whole again soon in your “new” Rivian. (P.S. these forums are gonna go nuts with videos once we all have dashcams running).

OP
OP

rivianUGA

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon
My son is younger. He was in the back. Directly behind me. That dashcam thing is my next question too. I had not yet gotten the OTA update pushed. But I wonder what kind of data rivian collected from the crash anyway.

eshort1429

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GS 350, Ford Mustang GT, BMW X5
Occupation
Law Enforcement
I would wager that the vehicle will be totaled. So glad you are safe!

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
i am in GA. Not sure about the fault rules. Already submitted stuff to progressive tonight. I had full coverage. Hopefully this all goes smoothly.
Georgia is not a no-fault state.

Problem is even if they are insured minimum coverage is 25/50. This is a cautionary tail for everyone, make sure you have proper limits and your under/uninsured coverage is in place, this is the coverage that covers you against other drivers with inadequate insurance.

Sponsored

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Certified Public Accountant
Just an observation here...you can't "strip" the vehicle. Everything "not aftermarket" belongs to the insurance company. It is theirs to salvage, be it the flashlight in the door or the floormats that came with it. If you bought your spare as an aftermarket item, that may be a gray area (mine shipped with the R1T and is on the window sticker). Some small broken item like a brake caliper is not likely to cause them any heartburn, but taking anything else off amounts to insurance fraud. Do you really want to complicate a claim and alienate the people who are going to be writing a big check?

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
That would be my concern as well; assuming OP got his R1T at pre March 2022 pricing and will now have to repurchase at post March pricing.
We just had a total loss on our RV due to hail damage and have a replacement policy through progressive that covers up to 120% of the purchase price of the original RV for a replacement within the first five model years (which still isn't enough to replace the loss). Point is that you can log in to the Progressive app to review your documents and read the fine print on your coverage.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I've owned and operated an independent shop building race cars. We look after the customer's road cars, too. It's difficult to predict what can be repaired, especially if there are not airbags triggered. Once an airbag is deployed, the assessor/adjuster can determine the extent of repair costs with less further investigation.
An offset frontal impact where most of the energy was dissipated in destroying the wheel and the suspension is not the end of the vehicle.
The cost of repairing the R1T could well exceed the breakeven point from the perspective of the insurer. If this were an F-150, it would be repairable. Parts are available and inexpensive, the repair process is well understood and the end result is a worthwhile vehicle that can be as good as new.
The R1T would be a matter of understanding the condition of the chassis.
There are crash absorption components and a repair process (advised by Rivian) that determine whether the chassis has survived the collision.
Of course, most owners would rather a new vehicle, not a repaired vehicle and the adjuster will take that into consideration. There's also the value of the vehicle at auction. The F-150 comparison is unfavorable – the value of a wrecked F-150 for the dismantlers is a matter of supply and demand. The dismantlers could pay a much higher price for the novelty of an R1T, whereas the F-150 is available in abundance and so of less value.
I'm assuming an insurer will write this off as a total loss and offer the insured some high percentage of the replacement value.
It's also possible to begin repairs, begin the discovery process and make an informed decision once the extent of the damage is better understood. I'd generally advise against the "exploratory" route but for some owners, the prospect of having their vehicle repaired is appealing. They feel like they "owe it" to the vehicle to have it restored, that they're the one who knows it and others will not know the history of the vehicle.

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
So glad to hear that you and your son are ok and the Rivian protected you both so well. Hopefully the process of getting a replacement won’t be too painful for you.

OP
OP

rivianUGA

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon
I've owned and operated an independent shop building race cars. We look after the customer's road cars, too. It's difficult to predict what can be repaired, especially if there are not airbags triggered. Once an airbag is deployed, the assessor/adjuster can determine the extent of repair costs with less further investigation.
An offset frontal impact where most of the energy was dissipated in destroying the wheel and the suspension is not the end of the vehicle.
The cost of repairing the R1T could well exceed the breakeven point from the perspective of the insurer. If this were an F-150, it would be repairable. Parts are available and inexpensive, the repair process is well understood and the end result is a worthwhile vehicle that can be as good as new.
The R1T would be a matter of understanding the condition of the chassis.
There are crash absorption components and a repair process (advised by Rivian) that determine whether the chassis has survived the collision.
Of course, most owners would rather a new vehicle, not a repaired vehicle and the adjuster will take that into consideration. There's also the value of the vehicle at auction. The F-150 comparison is unfavorable – the value of a wrecked F-150 for the dismantlers is a matter of supply and demand. The dismantlers could pay a much higher price for the novelty of an R1T, whereas the F-150 is available in abundance and so of less value.
I'm assuming an insurer will write this off as a total loss and offer the insured some high percentage of the replacement value.
It's also possible to begin repairs, begin the discovery process and make an informed decision once the extent of the damage is better understood. I'd generally advise against the "exploratory" route but for some owners, the prospect of having their vehicle repaired is appealing. They feel like they "owe it" to the vehicle to have it restored, that they're the one who knows it and others will not know the history of the vehicle.
thanks, this is really helpful.
Sponsored