trmaier

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro Hybrid, R1T El Cap, BM
Clubs

Yep, can verify it's open for business! It's at the Kwik Star at 1910 Isaac Newton Dr, Ames, IA. Tried a quick charge there this morning, worked perfectly. Wish all charging experiences were this great. It will be nice to have another fast charging location in Central Iowa. Crossroads of Interstate 35 and Highway 30.

Rivian R1T R1S Ames Iowa Magic Dock Open PXL_20231223_150506561.MP

OP
OP
Budman

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

From looking at all the PlugShare reports of Tesla magic docks, the reliability seems very good. Chevy bolts account for most of the bad reports, those cars don’t seem to play nice with the chargers.

Of the other bad reports, most are clearly user error. People don’t now about the tesla app or don’t know how to extract the magic dock handle from the charger (you have to push in first, then pull out).

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
We passed by there yesterday on the way to Minnesota; that will be helpful for the holiday road trips when we finally get our Rivian!

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Charged my Hummer in Glendale AZ today, it just opened also. 59th Ave and Northern, for those in the area. Charge rate is crap (135kw), but it worked. The Tesla app worked great and it connected right away.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Charged my Hummer in Glendale AZ today, it just opened also. 59th Ave and Northern, for those in the area. Charge rate is crap (135kw), but it worked. The Tesla app worked great and it connected right away.
charge rate isn’t going to get any better.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
charge rate isn’t going to get any better.
Not until they have V4 with 800V, so far even the V4 installs are not 800V. I am hoping that personal adapters can remove the 350A limit, since they will not be used all the time, like the magic docks could be. If you carry your own adapter, it has time to cool off between charges.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
So that's now 45 sites or ~450 chargers over the past year.

I've used two of those sites - they work well at a maximum rate of 150kW. It did require a bit of fiddling my first time, because although I had the Tesla app already set up and an account created and credit card entered, it still required me to add additional information to my profile once I tried to charge. Second time worked better.

Tesla's promise is 3500 Magic Dock chargers open to all by the end of 2024. They are NOT on track to meet that promise. They need to be opening one site (an average of 10 chargers) almost every DAY in order to meet that goal.

This makes me think that Tesla is going to forget about the Magic Dock now that they have a deal with a lot of auto manufacturers for access to the supercharger network.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Not until they have V4 with 800V, so far even the V4 installs are not 800V. I am hoping that personal adapters can remove the 350A limit, since they will not be used all the time, like the magic docks could be. If you carry your own adapter, it has time to cool off between charges.
Still not going to happen. Only way we are getting faster charging at SC is to buy a Rivian with the NACS plug in 2025 or 2026.
Sponsored