Sponsored

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I appears that the cross section photo of the panels stored in the gear tunnel are aluminum, not CF, on the website. Advertising them as CF is misleading.

https://tail-lidz.myshopify.com/products/rivian-tonneau-cover
I remember the designer of these mentioned in the EV Sportline tonneau announcment thread that he had collaborated with a local fabricator to design and make these. He said a little more about the materials as well. I remember suggesting he create a new thread so as not to draw attention from EV Sportline, but I can't find my response anymore. I'm guessing his comment and my comment were deleted.

However, he seemed like a legit guy and he is an R1T owner. I'm sure he'll clarify via email and hopefully he'll post a new thread about this product on these boards. They look great, although I'm thankfully not in the market with a somehow still working powered tonneau. However, seems like many in the community here are eagerly in the market for this.
Sponsored

OP
OP

MCA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Retired
I remember the designer of these mentioned in the EV Sportline tonneau announcment thread that he had collaborated with a local fabricator to design and make these. He said a little more about the materials as well. I remember suggesting he create a new thread so as not to draw attention from EV Sportline, but I can't find my response anymore. I'm guessing his comment and my comment were

However, he seemed like a legit guy and he is an R1T owner. I'm sure he'll clarify via email and hopefully he'll post a new thread about this product on these boards. They look great, although I'm thankfully not in the market with a somehow still working powered tonneau. However, seems like many in the community here are eagerly in the market for this.
I Emailed Brian this morning on the materials used on his Tail Lidz tonneau covers. Here’s his response: They are aluminum composite panels with a carbon fiber
vehicle wrap, as it is woven.

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RT1
Occupation
Retirement
I just put the twrap rear mud flaps on and having twrap make a new bracket so the rear mud flap doesn't have this gap between the inner fender and mud flap. If off roading I see this gap would collect mud, rocks and stones. I used a 30 mm bolt to hold on the rear bracket with a thick rubber washer between the bracket and the body. That made it easier to get the bolts started. The original bolt was 20 mm in too short to get started. Will update with new pictures once I get the new bracket that the mud flap angle is going to go down instead of the way they have it going up.

Rivian R1T R1S Almost finished with mods: PPF, ceramic coating, tints, mud flaps, sun roof shade (& more to come) IMG_20230226_183440531

Rivian R1T R1S Almost finished with mods: PPF, ceramic coating, tints, mud flaps, sun roof shade (& more to come) IMG_20230226_183402087

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RT1
Occupation
Retirement
I was just on the tail lidz website and they're sold out on the tonneau covers. Like to know if anybody has a direct phone number so I can get on to waiting list.

Sponsored

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RT1
Occupation
Retirement
Just want to let you know that I was able to order the tonneau cover. Thank you for posting this cover. I like to know more about the sun shade. It looks like it up tight without sagging. Is it hard to remove and install.

OP
OP

MCA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Retired
Just want to let you know that I was able to order the tonneau cover. Thank you for posting this cover. I like to know more about the sun shade. It looks like it up tight without sagging. Is it hard to remove and install.
Info on page 3 of this thread. Not hard to install or remove.

utahraptor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 RR Sport, 2022 Raptor
What brand ceramic coat did you use? Did you self install? Paint correct before? Thank you

OP
OP

MCA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Retired
What brand ceramic coat did you use? Did you self install? Paint correct before? Thank you
Had a detail shop do it all. Paint correction, ceramic, window tint + windshield and PPF on front. $3500.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1T, 23 Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Had a detail shop do it all. Paint correction, ceramic, window tint + windshield and PPF on front. $3500.
Do you know what brand of tint this was? This is a good price for everything.

Sponsored

ByzRiv

First Name
Byz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2023 R1S, 2015 991GTS
Occupation
Healthcare
It's too bad the tonneau cover are separate panels that you have to pull out individually, rather than something like a BakFlip folding design. I had one on my Ram 1500, and the folding design was invaluable for bed access. It shouldn't be too hard to do, they just need to design a insert channel that slides into the R1Ts tracks (though making it water tight seal might be more problematic), so that the tri-fold mechanism sits in that channel. Only downside is it will narrow the accessible width by a few inches, a worthy trade off for a folding cover IMHO.

I guess we need more R1Ts on the road in people's hands to force these companies to design products for it. Kind of crazy Rivian didn't capitalize on the mods market during preproduction.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1T, 23 Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Prime XR Plus
That is a very good deal. They charging me 4.5k for tints and PPF film alone in my area for the XR plus

OP
OP

MCA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Retired
That is a very good deal. They charging me 4.5k for tints and PPF film alone in my area for the XR plus
I shopped it around. Prices are all over the board. My high was 6700. This guy details a lot of Barrett Jackson auto‘s for the auction. They did a great job.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

It's too bad the tonneau cover are separate panels that you have to pull out individually, rather than something like a BakFlip folding design. I had one on my Ram 1500, and the folding design was invaluable for bed access. It shouldn't be too hard to do, they just need to design a insert channel that slides into the R1Ts tracks (though making it water tight seal might be more problematic), so that the tri-fold mechanism sits in that channel. Only downside is it will narrow the accessible width by a few inches, a worthy trade off for a folding cover IMHO.

I guess we need more R1Ts on the road in people's hands to force these companies to design products for it. Kind of crazy Rivian didn't capitalize on the mods market during preproduction.
I connected with a BakFlip rep last week, and he said they are working on covers for the R1T and to check back with him "in a few weeks." It could have just been a canned response, but it could also mean that more options are on the near horizon.
Sponsored