First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management

Man, he didn’t mince any words in the first part of the video about line cutters!
Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Alex provides a detailed review of his experiences with his R1T and officially becomes my HERO by calling BULLSHIT on supposed journalists, reviewers, and YouTubers who got their hands on an R1T before pre-order holders who claim that an R1T was available because it was lying around and nobody wanted it.

He doesn't name anyone but he clearly thinks this behaviour is Out of Spec...

Meanwhile, as with all of his videos he provides a thorough and data driven review without endless fluff. Seat comfort was 9/10. On the Aero 21's he got 3.2 0-60. I'm starting to think I might be changing out from the 22's.

Screenshot below with his driving scores for those that don't want to watch the entire video. It is 33+ minutes long but worth it in my opinion.

Rivian R1T R1S Alex on Autos Detailed R1T Review Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 4.14.12 PM

Last edited:

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Just watched it. 2.7 mi/KWh and 340 miles range was nice. It sounded like his was not as noisy as some R1Ts. He was not a fan of how the cameras are used off road. And he was the only one that said he didn’t like how it tows and didn’t like the location of hitch receiver (another video).

Last edited:

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

He went ~340 miles on his 70 mph test loop averaging 2.5-2.7 miles/kWh.

Color me very impressed. He had the aero covers on. The 21's are looking more and more attractive to me right now.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
enjoyed the review but did he not try all the camera modes? seems like he missed the side cameras?

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

enjoyed the review but did he not try all the camera modes? seems like he missed the side cameras?
i was thinking the same thing when he mentioned the lack of camera angles for off roading. I think he did.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Alex swayed me, I took the 21s because it meant getting the truck in about a week if all goes as planned. But 340 miles is pretty good range and for my use case the 20s would’ve only served an aesthetic purpose. Really appreciate his insights and comparison between the R1T and Lightning.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Alex provides a detailed review of his experiences with his R1T and officially becomes my HERO by calling BULLSHIT on supposed journalists, reviewers, and YouTubers who got their hands on an R1T before pre-order holders who claim that an R1T was available because it was lying around and nobody wanted it.

He doesn't name anyone but he clearly thinks this behaviour is Out of Spec...
I also can imagine Alex may be slightly miffed that he actually had a preorder, since just about the beginning, and his channel has 450k subscribers where other YouTube channels that "found one" has just under 100k subscribers. He's was an early preorder and over 4 times the subscribers.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I also can imagine Alex may be slightly miffed that he actually had a preorder, since just about the beginning, and his channel has 450k subscribers where other YouTube channels that "found one" has just under 100k subscribers. He's was an early preorder and over 4 times the subscribers.
You hit the nail on the head.

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Alex swayed me, I took the 21s because it meant getting the truck in about a week if all goes as planned. But 340 miles is pretty good range and for my use case the 20s would’ve only served an aesthetic purpose. Really appreciate his insights and comparison between the R1T and Lightning.
I am honestly so impressed at the 340 miles he got out of the 21's. The aero covers must be helping that somewhat and I would love it if he did the same test loop with and without.

The only downside of the 21's is that it is a tire specific to Rivian with one manufacturer. I can speak from experience on this issue as I have a BMW i3s with custom 20's that are only made by one manufacturer. If you ever need to replace a tire in an emergency, nobody has them in stock - even BMW. I had a sidewall puncture that could not be fixed and had to have the thing towed and it sat a dealership for 3 days until they could get the tire.

But in terms of performance (what Sandy Munro did offroading in the 21's was insane) and a 3.2 0-60 time along with such impressive range numbers - I'm seriously tempted to switch to the 21's and just make sure I buy a spare and have a few extra tires on hand.

Last edited:

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Rivian R1T LE (delivered 6/28/22)
Occupation
Retired
It was a good review, and worth the 30 minutes. I didn’t learn a lot that I’d not figured out, other than the trail/off road, which I’ve not done yet. It confirmed my own feelings about the R1T, and I’m quite happy with it so far. The efficiency he reports is congruent with my experience so far in the 1,628 miles I’ve put on mine in about 3 weeks…

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I am honestly so impressed at the 340 miles he got out of the 21's. The aero covers must be helping that somewhat and I would love it if he did the same test loop with and without.

The only downside of the 21's is that it is a tire specific to Rivian with one manufacturer. I can speak from experience on this issue as I have a BMW i3s with custom 20's that are only made by one manufacturer. If you ever need to replace a tire in an emergency, nobody has them in stock - even BMW. I had a sidewall puncture that could not be fixed and had to have the thing towed and it sat a dealership for 3 days until they could get the tire.

But in terms of performance (what Sandy Munro did offroading in the 20's was insane) and a 3.2 0-60 time along with such impressive range numbers - I'm seriously tempted to switch to the 21's and just make sure I buy a spare and have a few extra tires on hand.

I'd be surprised if there were a major difference, on my MY its maybe a 3-5% difference without the aero covers. Add a bit more for a bigger tire on the Rivian, but I'd assume not as much as the AT wheel hit. Nothing scientific on my end. To your point though, that's pretty much what I did, I got a spare and will hope I don't have multiple tires with irreparable punctures. The Rivian will be my daily driver so odds are I'd be local if it did happen. Worst case it's on a trip and I'm inconvenienced for a few days, lesson learned and when I trade it in a few years down the road for the R1T refresh I'll be sure to pick a more common tire.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

But in terms of performance (what Sandy Munro did offroading in the 20's was insane) and a 3.2 0-60 time along with such impressive range numbers - I'm seriously tempted to switch to the 21's and just make sure I buy a spare and have a few extra tires on hand.
I bought a few of the 22’ tires off of TireRack to have on hand and keep one in the spare well in case of non-repairable flat. I’m stuck without a spare wheel for the time being but I’ll at least be able to get fixed up as long as I don’t bend my rim.
Sponsored