Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Good evening

I live in Southern California (Fullerton) and have never taken my daughter or wife to the snow. We are planning to go a few times this year. The first time, my wife just wants to find a place to pull over and play in the snow. After that, I am hoping to go sledding or snowboarding (have not been in over 14 years).

1). Any suggestions on something to have for the R1T? I hear that I should be fine with nothing if I stick local and lower altitude, but I have read that some roads or elevations require chains and I do not want to ruin my R1T. I have 21" wheels. My brother said I should look into snow socks.

2). Anyone know of a place that I can go to just get some free snow play? I heard maybe Frazier Lake or Wrightwood? My wife doesn't want to spend a lot the first time.

Best

Adam
Sponsored

BigRedRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RT1
Hi! I am curious about the snow cables/chains as well since it's a law for Californians to carry chains even with a 4WD. It has to be physically carried in the car.

In regards to Snow play, if you are going to Wrightwood, near Mt high you won't need any chains. It's hardly any snow on the HWY also the road is just a slow elevation. I took mine for the first time on New Year Day.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
On the 21s/ 22s, the manual suggests using snow cables that are 16mm or under. For the AT 20s we can only use the snow socks, but there is nothing stopping you from using them on your 21s either. They seem like a good option and would be easier to use than cables, chains in my opinion.

Rivian R1T R1S advice on snow chains? Image 1-17-24 at 9.50 AM

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Good evening

I live in Southern California (Fullerton) and have never taken my daughter or wife to the snow. We are planning to go a few times this year. The first time, my wife just wants to find a place to pull over and play in the snow. After that, I am hoping to go sledding or snowboarding (have not been in over 14 years).

1). Any suggestions on something to have for the R1T? I hear that I should be fine with nothing if I stick local and lower altitude, but I have read that some roads or elevations require chains and I do not want to ruin my R1T. I have 21" wheels. My brother said I should look into snow socks.

2). Anyone know of a place that I can go to just get some free snow play? I heard maybe Frazier Lake or Wrightwood? My wife doesn't want to spend a lot the first time.

Best

Adam
Rivian R1T R1S advice on snow chains? Screenshot_20240117-105508

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

On the 21s/ 22s, the manual suggests using snow cables that are 16mm or under. For the AT 20s we can only use the snow socks, but there is nothing stopping you from using them on your 21s either. They seem like a good option and would be easier to use than cables, chains in my opinion.

Image 1-17-24 at 9.50 AM.jpeg
another question is do i put them on all 4 tires or just two, and if two, which ones?

Thanks

Adam

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
another question is do i put them on all 4 tires or just two, and if two, which ones?

Thanks

Adam
I would personally put them on all 4 tires, but most say to just put them on rear for RWD and front for FWD. There are quite a few threads here on the snow socks dating back a couple years, so you should be able to find people who can speak more to how they perform specifically on Rivians. Here is a recent one (on 20s)

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/autosocks-experience-towing-in-the-snow.23044/

https://www.lesschwab.com/article/d...ext=If your car or truck,Put them on the back.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

I think snow socks is the easiest to use and carry with you. You'll most likely never need it. I just drove through heavy snow on R1S w/22" AS tires and performed great. I'd posted two short videos on this thread driving through the snow (https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...-stops-road-trip-completed.22489/#post-454547).

https://autosock.us/pages/regulations

https://dot.ca.gov/travel/winter-driving-tips/chain-controls
Chain Requirement Levels
During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are Three Levels of Chain Requirements in California:

• Requirement 1 (R-1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
  • Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
    NOTE: (Four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
  • Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

From Fullerton, Wrightwood is much closer and easier to get to than Frazier Park. Take 15 to 138 and turn left onto 2. There are several places like the images below along the 2.

Just make sure you don't go on a holiday weekend. It's much better during the week after the snow. Those are my kids few years ago when we were there last.

Rivian R1T R1S advice on snow chains? Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 10.43.32

Rivian R1T R1S advice on snow chains? Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 10.43.10

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

I would personally put them on all 4 tires, but most say to just put them on rear for RWD and front for FWD. There are quite a few threads here on the snow socks dating back a couple years, so you should be able to find people who can speak more to how they perform specifically on Rivians. Here is a recent one (on 20s)

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/autosocks-experience-towing-in-the-snow.23044/

https://www.lesschwab.com/article/driving/how-to-install-tire-socks.html#:~:text=If your car or truck,Put them on the back.
thanks

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

I think snow socks is the easiest to use and carry with you. You'll most likely never need it. I just drove through heavy snow on R1S w/22" AS tires and performed great. I'd posted two short videos on this thread driving through the snow (https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...-stops-road-trip-completed.22489/#post-454547).

https://autosock.us/pages/regulations

https://dot.ca.gov/travel/winter-driving-tips/chain-controls
Chain Requirement Levels
During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are Three Levels of Chain Requirements in California:

• Requirement 1 (R-1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
  • Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
    NOTE: (Four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
  • Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

From Fullerton, Wrightwood is much closer and easier to get to than Frazier Park. Take 15 to 138 and turn left onto 2. There are several places like the images below along the 2.

Just make sure you don't go on a holiday weekend. It's much better during the week after the snow. Those are my kids few years ago when we were there last.

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 10.43.32.png

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 10.43.10.png
That looks awesome. My brother has a few sleds I can borrow. Are the places you went free or is there admission?

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

That looks awesome. My brother has a few sleds I can borrow. Are the places you went free or is there admission?
Its free. These are hills on the side of the road (hwy 2).

Sponsored

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,

Image 1-17-24 at 9.50 AM.jpeg
This brings up a good point for the OP....try reading the owners manual for suggestions....

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I agree on socks for the occasional snow traveler. It's unlikely you will hit a level 3 requirement but they are good to have. The snow is often the issue. It's usually ice and just like towing, it's not how fast you can go but how fast you can stop.
Sponsored