Sponsored

Update (R1S SoCal to Sedona AZ in Two RAN Stops?) Road Trip Completed!

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Has anyone gone from LA/OC to Quartzite AZ RAN without a charging stop?

Then from Quartzite RAN to Sedona RAN without a charging stop? (either via Prescott or Phoenix area)

Mileage wise, no issue but elevation wise the roads look not too bad. Still, not clear, since I am not very familiar with AZ.

Thanks in advance

-----------------------
Post trip update:
-----------------------

Left home at 100% and stopped at EA in Indo, where on that day, only 2/4 terminals were working. Waited about 20 mins for the stall to open and charged back up to 80%. Got to Quartzsite RAN - all on conserve mode.

Rivian R1T R1S Update (R1S SoCal to Sedona AZ in Two RAN Stops?) Road Trip Completed! Quartzsite

Jerky is kinda pricy but had Elk, Bison along with the usual flavors.

Charged to 93% and took 60 towards Sedona via Prescott. EA map showed that there were 4 stall station in Prescott so I felt petty good about taking the shorter route. EA in Prescott is located on the community college parking lot and none of them were working. We pressed on to Sedona, still in conserve mode.

Made it to Sedona RAN with about 15% SOC. I would not hesitate to recommend this route to any R1 owner. It is very easily doable.

Rivian R1T R1S Update (R1S SoCal to Sedona AZ in Two RAN Stops?) Road Trip Completed! Sedona RAN

Socal to Sedona leg averaged about 1.8 miles/ kWh.

Rivian R1T R1S Update (R1S SoCal to Sedona AZ in Two RAN Stops?) Road Trip Completed! red rock

Rivian R1T R1S Update (R1S SoCal to Sedona AZ in Two RAN Stops?) Road Trip Completed! Sedona Pano

Rivian R1T R1S Update (R1S SoCal to Sedona AZ in Two RAN Stops?) Road Trip Completed! Sedona

We charged overnight to 100% at our hotel and left for GC via 89A to Flagstaff, Williams and up 64 to Grand Canyon south rim. The drive was bit dicy with snow and whiteout. This was last Thursday 1/11/24

Drive through the mountain in the snow resulted in 0.8 miles/kWh. Headlights was covered by snow and got a warning message to clean the front camera lens.

The video above was shot just before we had to stop due to whiteout and could not see the end of the hood. We pulled over close to the plow marker as possible and hope that no one would rear end us. Waited about 10 mins and lifted slightly enough to continue with white knuckles.

Snow mode worked great and the vehicle in the snow with 22" AS tires worked flawlessly.

Got to GC Visitor's center where EA has 6 stalls. They appeared to be all working.

Rivian R1T R1S Update (R1S SoCal to Sedona AZ in Two RAN Stops?) Road Trip Completed! GC EA

You can see all the ice that fell off the vehicle. All the fender wells were covered in ice and had barely 1/2" btw the ice and the tires. You can also see that aft end of the R1S is so draggy that the license plate was iced over from all the reverse flow behind the rear of the vehicle.

For some unknown reason the two charges at this EA never showed up on my account. Probably will one of these days but for now, it was on the house!

Rivian R1T R1S Update (R1S SoCal to Sedona AZ in Two RAN Stops?) Road Trip Completed! GC Desert View

The ambient temperature was in the single digit and definitely preconditioned the vehicle (on 2023.46.0). Turned on defrost hot, seats and steering wheel heaters. When the battery temperature as in the 30's, the efficiency was around 1.2 miles/kWh. As the battery temperature came up (mid to upper 40s), it was around 1.7 miles/kWh.

Rivian R1T R1S Update (R1S SoCal to Sedona AZ in Two RAN Stops?) Road Trip Completed! GC CR

For the next day, we charged to 96% at EA the night before (drained to 92% overnight) and left for Page on Conserve Mode where we were stopping at the Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon Lower.

Rivian R1T R1S Update (R1S SoCal to Sedona AZ in Two RAN Stops?) Road Trip Completed! Horseshoe Bend

Rivian R1T R1S Update (R1S SoCal to Sedona AZ in Two RAN Stops?) Road Trip Completed! Antelope Canyo

Since there is no DCFC in Page, we were headed to Kanab. In fact we changed our stay in GC by a day so that we would stay in St. George.

There is a ChargePoint 125kWH chargers (3) in Kanab. We limped along to ChargePoint and got there with 11% SOC, only to find this a$$hole blocking one of the stall.

Rivian R1T R1S Update (R1S SoCal to Sedona AZ in Two RAN Stops?) Road Trip Completed! A hole

Luckily other two were vacant. Found a small museum that featured the history of Kanab and a restroom.. We charged just enough to get to EA at north of St. George.

The rest is very pedestrian and nothing special, except both my wife and I got showered by large glass of margaritas when the server got bumped and lost the drink tray. The restaurant comp'd our dinner.

We headed home the next day stopping at LV RAN where Silverado EV was using L2 charger at RAN. Also stopped at Barstow RAN and got home easily.

Rivian R1T R1S Update (R1S SoCal to Sedona AZ in Two RAN Stops?) Road Trip Completed! LV Silverado EV

The end of the trip 1,446.9 miles averaging 1.85 miles/kWh.

Rivian R1T R1S Update (R1S SoCal to Sedona AZ in Two RAN Stops?) Road Trip Completed! End of Tri
Sponsored

Last edited:

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I'm actually planning on driving tomorrow from LA area to Phoenix (long story). Trip planner has me stopping at an L3 charger in Palm Springs for about 30 minutes, then at the Quartzite RAN for another 30 minutes.

I don't think it's possible to get from Quartzite RAN to Sedona RAN without additional charging. Elevation is going to kill your efficiency. Not sure about Quartzite, but Phoenix is approximately 1100 ft and Sedona is about 4300 ft and your trip up I-17 is with a 75 mph speed limit.

Here's my trip to the Sedona RAN from roughly downtown Phoenix in 7/2023 in my R1T:

Rivian R1T R1S Update (R1S SoCal to Sedona AZ in Two RAN Stops?) Road Trip Completed! 1703115770981

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

It really depends on where you start from in OC. From Huntington Beach, it's 245 miles to the Quartzsite RAN, so you will need to be at 100% charge and on 21's and keep it 75 or less to make it. If you are 230 miles or less, much less stress, but still 100% charge to start.

Quartzsite RAN to Sedona RAN is easy, you will take the 60 hwy off the 10, which is only about 215 miles to the RAN in Sedona and it isn't a 75mph (65mph) drive because it's 2-lanes. Once again to be safe, get 90%+ in Quartzsite.

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
When I came back from near Phoenix, I have done Kingman and then Barstow, both with RAN. Since Sedona is actually near I-40, you may want to give it a thought.

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
It really depends on where you start from in OC. From Huntington Beach, it's 245 miles to the Quartzsite RAN, so you will need to be at 100% charge and on 21's and keep it 75 or less to make it. If you are 230 miles or less, much less stress, but still 100% charge to start.

Quartzsite RAN to Sedona RAN is easy, you will take the 60 hwy off the 10, which is only about 215 miles to the RAN in Sedona and it isn't a 75mph (65mph) drive because it's 2-lanes. Once again to be safe, get 90%+ in Quartzsite.
I had done from Temecula to Quartzsite on 20" AT wheels, was 0% and still 4.5 miles away from Quartzsite EA; I was in turtle mode and was so lucky that it was all downhill there... but that's another story. Let's say I wouldn't do it again.

Sponsored

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
If I drive from L.A. to Sedona, I'll do... make a quick charge stop near Indio, and then Quartzsite RAN, and then Kingman RAN, and then Sedona. But then I'm retired and time is not an issue.

OP
OP

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I'm actually planning on driving tomorrow from LA area to Phoenix (long story). Trip planner has me stopping at an L3 charger in Palm Springs for about 30 minutes, then at the Quartzite RAN for another 30 minutes.

I don't think it's possible to get from Quartzite RAN to Sedona RAN without additional charging. Elevation is going to kill your efficiency. Not sure about Quartzite, but Phoenix is approximately 1100 ft and Sedona is about 4300 ft and your trip up I-17 is with a 75 mph speed limit.

Here's my trip to the Sedona RAN from roughly downtown Phoenix in 7/2023 in my R1T:

1703115770981.jpeg
Let us know how that goes please. The Rivian nav planner does say to stop in Palm Springs Area.

Cheers!

OP
OP

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Thanks for the insight. Was debating to go through Prescott or Phoenix so your comments really helps!

I'm in South OC/Laguna so the milage wise, probably close to HB. Will definitely start at 100%

OP
OP

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

When I came back from near Phoenix, I have done Kingman and then Barstow, both with RAN. Since Sedona is actually near I-40, you may want to give it a thought.
We're headed to GC South Rim from Sedona and coming back via Kingman to Barstow on 40 so your experience is a great confidence builder! Thanks.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Thanks for the insight. Was debating to go through Prescott or Phoenix so your comments really helps!

I'm in South OC/Laguna so the milage wise, probably close to HB. Will definitely start at 100%
Which size wheels do you have? 20's will require a stop either at the Premium Outlet Mall (Cabazon) or in the Palm Springs/Indio area.

If you go through Prescott, there is a nice EA charger at Yavapai Junior College OR you can try the brand new 350kW charger at the PILOT truck center on the I-17 at Cordes Junction, but that is a bit out of the way going from Prescott to Sedona.

Sponsored

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I did this trip recently, but in the opposite direction (20” AT wheels). The truck said I couldn’t make it from Quartzite at ~95% charge to Los Angeles, but miles wise I felt I could make it. Ultimately it wasn’t worth the stress so I did add about 25% battery along the way. However, when I got home I calculated my energy usage and I would have made it from Quartzite to LA with about 3% battery.

My roadtrips philosophy is - slower and stress free is better than faster with extra stress. As such, I charge pretty frequently and keep my SoC high on road trips. My 2 cents is take a break and charge up.

griffinmc22

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I live about 30 miles north of LA and frequently drive to Pheonix about once a month to see family. I always stop in palm springs and Quartzite. Its more efficient to just stop and charge between 20-80% than it is to wait and top charge in most cases. Side note - I prefer the circle K chargers in palm springs they always seem to work as opposed to EA where its a gamble.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I did this trip recently, but in the opposite direction (20” AT wheels). The truck said I couldn’t make it from Quartzite at ~95% charge to Los Angeles, but miles wise I felt I could make it. Ultimately it wasn’t worth the stress so I did add about 25% battery along the way. However, when I got home I calculated my energy usage and I would have made it from Quartzite to LA with about 3% battery.

My roadtrips philosophy is - slower and stress free is better than faster with extra stress. As such, I charge pretty frequently and keep my SoC high on road trips. My 2 cents is take a break and charge up.
I’m with you 100%.

We stop to pee and/or eat every 3-4 hours max. Take it slow, enjoy the ride, and get there without stress.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

Coming back towards the beach is usually more downhill, I always get better mileage heading west from Coachella Valley than I do going east towards Coachella Valley.

@mkg3, there is an EA station at Walmart (Monroe Street) in Indio, literally right off I10, super easy to pull in there for 10 or 15 minutes to make the stretch to Quartzsite.

I have a place near there, it will easily be 50% of the battery for that initial stretch, at least it is for my R1S on 22s.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Quartzsite to Sedona via US-60 then -89/89A would be a cakewalk. Even US-60 to meet up with I-17 just North of Phoenix shouldn't be a problem, and Google Maps says that is only one minute slower than I-10 to I-17.
Sponsored