AC Issues

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
Less than a week after we got her back from the service center to fix the previous issues, this pops up.

Anyone know if this is AC related?

Vehicle starts making a humming/spinning sound under the dash, and it crescendos like a hard drive working over time. Eventually extremely loud and audible in the cabin and outside the vehicle.

Park the vehcle only to see dripping water - a lot - from multiple places beneath the underbody shield.

Rivian R1T R1S AC Issues AC025F61-D52E-4CA1-AFCF-BED44C9A0B44

Sponsored

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
Hard to tell from video clip. If you just started driving especially if vehicle was in kneel mode I would say that might be the sound of the suspension air compressor recharging the air storage tank. A properly operating air conditioning system especially if operating in a humid climate will dehumidify the air per its design and release condensate (water) removed from the air onto the ground. There is a good chance everything is working as intended.

OP
OP
Jayhawkeye

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
Hard to tell from video clip. If you just started driving especially if vehicle was in kneel mode I would say that might be the sound of the suspension air compressor recharging the air storage tank. A properly operating air conditioning system especially if operating in a humid climate will dehumidify the air per its design and release condensate (water) removed from the air onto the ground. There is a good chance everything is working as intended.
Yeah, but is it supposed to sound like you're surrounded by a swarm of bees or nanobots?

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Did you just finish fast charging? It used to sound like that when both ac and BMS was on full. I haven’t fast charged in a long time so not sure if it is still like that or not.

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
My R1t is very noticeable for about 60 seconds or so after I place into drive and begin moving after it has been in kneel mode until the air tank re-pressurizes. Then silence. Sound is more from rear of vehicle than front.
If the noise only lasts for a minute or so it and you only notice it after you have parked and lowered and then are moving again it may just be the air compressor

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
OP
OP
Jayhawkeye

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
FWIW, I shared all the details and the vidoe with Rivian and they are requesting I take it in ASAP Monday morning, so clearly they are worried about something.

I know condensation happens and cars leak water all the time, but is the Rivian supposed to leak a TON from MULTIPLE spots underneath???!?!?! Seems way off.

Also, the weedeater sound is so loud you have to speak loud over it.

Wife it testing it on an errand right now and it's not making the sound when the AC is off.

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Ok. Let us know what they find. Good luck.

OP
OP
Jayhawkeye

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
Did you just finish fast charging? It used to sound like that when both ac and BMS was on full. I haven’t fast charged in a long time so not sure if it is still like that or not.
Nope. Normal L2 charging at home last night between 8:30-5:00AM.

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Just a thought if the liquid leaking is not condensate water but possibly battery coolant it could contain glycol which is poisonous to animals. May want to clean it up just in case.

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Rivian service should be able to see if something is overheating. If it goes away when you turn off the A/C then that sounds like it. What are the ambient temps and humidity like there? If it's hot perfectly normal for water puddles especially if it's been sitting in one spot with HVAC on.

I would give it the sniff test to make sure it's water. Rivian probably just wants to check it to make sure all is as it should be which I think is also a good idea.

Here is mine after sitting 15min in 90F Florida heat.
Rivian R1T R1S AC Issues IMG_7213~2

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jayhawkeye

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
I don’t mind the water at all. What I mind is the weed eater sound in the cabin. We had to raise our voices to talk to each other LOL

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I don’t mind the water at all. What I mind is the weed eater sound in the cabin. We had to raise our voices to talk to each other LOL
I think you should definitely get it checked out. It shouldn't be that loud. In the video I see the outside temp showing as 75. Something doesn't add up and I think only service will be able to say anything definitive.

longhornguy2015

First Name
Darshan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura 2014 rdx
Occupation
IT Analyst
Got my r1s yesterday and ac sounds like that. I guess I should put in a service ticket.

longhornguy2015

First Name
Darshan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura 2014 rdx
Occupation
IT Analyst
Curious if you got any updates
On this.
Sponsored