Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Looks great!

Those are the 21"s correct? Have you tried them in soft/dry/deep sand?

Beautiful area BTW!!

OP
OP
scottf

scottf

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Looks great!

Those are the 21"s correct? Have you tried them in soft/dry/deep sand?

Beautiful area BTW!!
Yes, 21's. Getting onto that section of the beach (which is actually considered a highway in OR) I had to go through some deeper sand, so I did put it in sand mode before switching to drift on the firm stuff. It didn't even blink through the deeper stuff.

And yes, Bandon is a beautiful area - highly recommend it. Just make sure you bring a Tesla charger adapter because the one and only universal charger is currently....broken.

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
Limestone. What color interior did you get?

And have you gone through mud with the 21s?

OP
OP
scottf

scottf

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Limestone. What color interior did you get?

And have you gone through mud with the 21s?
Per Henry Ford's old quote, Rivian let me choose any interior color as long as it was black.

Have not messed with any mud yet and probably won't, not on purpose anyway. Truck is too pretty for mud :)

Sponsored

dotlinetriangle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Forest Green / Black Mountain / 21”
Clubs

I was down in Long Beach, WA and chickened out of doing that! (Horrific visions of my Rivian stuck, then swallowed by the tide.) Next time, I'll try though–that looks like just too much fun!

OP
OP
scottf

scottf

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I was down in Long Beach, WA and chickened out of doing that! (Horrific visions of my Rivian stuck, then swallowed by the tide.) Next time, I'll try though–that looks like just too much fun!
I definitely had some trepidation, especially in the deeper stuff leading out to the packed sand. Total non-event in sand mode.

KingTodd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
AT 00:12 seconds...WTF is that on the beach....a big skate??

Oh and nice looking truck

Gdorff

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Audi RS5
Occupation
Business owner / CIO
Just below the cliffs at Bandon Dunes - had to try it.

1659189492158.png
Good show, I was out playing around in drift mode myself yesterday.. but I didn't have as nice a location. (Much less space) 🤣 it really is a lot of fun!

Rivian R1T R1S A little fun with drift mode at the beach PXL_20220730_172948267

Rivian R1T R1S A little fun with drift mode at the beach PXL_20220730_172946244

Sponsored

mjmcleod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I definitely had some trepidation, especially in the deeper stuff leading out to the packed sand. Total non-event in sand mode.
Non-event…? Sounds great. I’m heading down to the outer banks and would love to take mine on the beaches. Wife is a bit skeptical. Apparently it’s a $400+ tow fee if you get stuck.

CyklopsPDX

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Audi Q5, 2017 Subaru Legacy
Occupation
Engineer
Did something similar in my Limestone R1T a few weeks ago north of Seaside (OR) on the 21's. Same, had no issues getting through the deeper sand at the beach entrance. I went down to 35PSI (just a wild guess at the time) and had the pleasure of airing back up with the compressor afterward. The only issue I had was collecting wet sand inside one of the wheels leading to a really bad wobble on the road. Thought I had broken something, but pulled off the road and cleaned it out - and had no issues afterward!

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Drifting usually is where a vehicle is in oversteer condition while going through a course or curve. Not donuts where the vehicle is clearly in understeer condition.

Both the OP's and 2nd video in gravel is doing donuts, similar to what you see in a street takeover.

The question is "drift" mode in R1 is such that it is difficult to put the vehicle into an oversteer condition? I realize you can always put the vehicle in oversteer but does it allow you to keep that state easily? Once In oversteer, usually require rear drive bias to maintain it. Both video shows the front catching up to the side and now puts the vehicle into an understeer.

RandomBR1T

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T (preorder Jan 2019)
Did this at Pacific Beach in Washington and can confirm it was amazing. Car is so well balanced, they did a great job - scared my wife to death, kids thought it was the best thing ever. Did you have any issues with the compressor airing back up? I am seeing a problem where the chuck doesn't make a good seal and so the the pressure goes over the set amount and stops. I've tried the factory provided one and purchased an upgraded version, and both don't work.
Sponsored