3rd Row Design / Cargo Area Photos?

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I'm a little confused by what's going on on these sides in the cargo area. What are those silver pieces, and why doesn't the cover/floor stretch all the way to the left and right to create a smooth floor? There also looks to be an incline in the floor of a few inches from the back of the bumper to the back of the 3rd row seats.
Seems to be raised because a 3rd row configuration PROBABLY forces this area to be raised a few inches in the trunk when it is folded down. Just a guess. I'm thinking the 2 row configuration will be completely flat to the floor (gain another ~2-3 inches of height).

I'm pretty sure those are just tracks. Like the back of my X5M looks like this.

Rivian R1T R1S 3rd Row Design / Cargo Area Photos? attachment
Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I’m sure there is an incline, they have always said mostly flat.

The section you highlighted as well the sides and top of the folded 3rd row are where the concerns for the pups are.
I always thought they meant the seats folding mostly flat, not the actual cargo floor. I might have just assumed though.

Seems to be raised because a 3rd row configuration PROBABLY forces this area to be raised a few inches in the trunk when it is folded down. Just a guess. I'm thinking the 2 row configuration will be completely flat to the floor (gain another ~2-3 inches of height).

I'm pretty sure those are just tracks. Like the back of my X5M looks like this.

attachment.jpg
Ahh. This is helpful, thanks.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Rivian has always stated that the load floor was mostly flat and has ~ 3 degree slope.

And, yes, to the sides appear to be tie down rails.

lmr

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat B7, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Technical Product Management
Clubs

Here are a couple tidbits about the R1S cargo area that I learned after talking to Rivian CS:

...the five-seat configuration would gain a bit of space where the third row would be by extending the cargo space in the rear storage bin.
So it seems that if you opt for a two row configuration the cargo floor cover is extended at its current height, and you gain the space below the cover where the third row used to be. Meaning the cargo floor remains relatively flat regardless of the 5 or 7 seat configuration choice.

We published a story going in-depth for the interior of the R1T a little while back, and we’re planning on publishing a similar story for the R1S. This story should give plenty of detail and visuals of the interior in both the seven-seat and five-seat configurations.

In the meantime, I’ll go ahead and give you some of the cargo measurements to help visualize the space. In inches, the maximum length behind the first row of seats is approximately 84.7 inches, and the maximum width behind the first row seats is approximately 58.9 inches. The minimum cargo width at any point in the R1S is about 36.4 inches.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Here are a couple tidbits about the R1S cargo area that I learned after talking to Rivian CS:

So it seems that if you opt for a two row configuration the cargo floor cover is extended at its current height, and you gain the space below the cover where the third row used to be. Meaning the cargo floor remains relatively flat regardless of the 5 or 7 seat configuration choice.
I think they had to have mis-typed the minimum width, that is only 3 feet, there is no way looking at the above picture there is a 3 foot minimum width In the cargo area.

Sponsored

lmr

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat B7, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Technical Product Management
Clubs

I think they had to have mis-typed the minimum width, that is only 3 feet, there is no way looking at the above picture there is a 3 foot minimum width In the cargo area.
Now that you mention it, I would have to agree, especially given that the overall width between the R1T and R1S is the same, and we already have confirmation that the space between the wheel wells in the R1T bed is just wide enough for a sheet of plywood or drywall.

jffkm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
I remember that Tweet. And my unanswered question about whether or not 4x8 stuff will fit...
I talked to CS a long time ago about this and they said a panel will fit, but that was probably before the design was finalized.

"Q: what is the max width of the rear opening? i.e. can you fit a sheet good (4 foot wide panel) inside flat and in between or on top of the wheelwell arm rests in the back?"

CS: Yes. The minimum width in the rear cargo of the R1S is about 51 in. so you can definitely fit a 4 foot wide panel in there. The space behind the first row opens up more, between the wheel wells is about 42 in"

Last edited:

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
Hey we also need to start bugging them about cargo mats. I asked CS this morning and they said that they werent sure if the team had plans for that, but they would let me know if they became available. Seems like a fairly common thing to want/need.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Hey we also need to start bugging them about cargo mats. I asked CS this morning and they said that they werent sure if the team had plans for that, but they would let me know if they became available. Seems like a fairly common thing to want/need.
Yes, I've had that thought myself but haven't acted on it. I'll want a cargo mat that covers everything behind the second row as that's where the dogs will be (my third row seats will never see the light of day).

runwithscissors

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, MDX, R1S
Yes, I've had that thought myself but haven't acted on it. I'll want a cargo mat that covers everything behind the second row as that's where the dogs will be (my third row seats will never see the light of day).
Same, did that with my XC-90 and now MDX. Third row/trunk is for the dog! I went WeatherTech which fit well but kinda flimsy in the MDX and the Volvo had their own OEM version when I bought it but it was interlocked panels which stinks.

Sponsored

RDB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90
Same, did that with my XC-90 and now MDX. Third row/trunk is for the dog! I went WeatherTech which fit well but kinda flimsy in the MDX and the Volvo had their own OEM version when I bought it but it was interlocked panels which stinks.
Agreed! My 1st and 2nd row mats on the XC90 are great, the cargo area are terrible. Different material and interlocking. The interlocking makes sense so it can be used with 3rd row up or down, but it just doesn’t work well in either situation.

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
My fellow riviots,

Considering :

-That, last Friday, some R1S reservation holders have reported receiving personalized updates hinting at imminent guide contact;

-That drone footage showing apparently completed R1Ses was shared in the last 6 weeks;

-That sufficient progress has been achieved with R1T 3rd party deliveries to convince even the most skeptical of us that “this shit is really finally happening”;

-That CS told me in an e-mail 2 weeks ago that “While R1T deliveries have taken center stage recently, it’s becoming time for our 7-seater Electric Adventure Vehicle to take the spotlight.”;

-That Gideon did NOT see his shadow when they pulled him out of a gear tunnel on February 2nd;

-That the McGriddle is finally back on the menu at my local McDonald’s.

It is my professional opinion there is an 83.4% probability that we will see a Rivian story on the R1S interior no later than April 8th.

-P.M. Dad, GCStJ, Rivi OT (4th year)

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
My fellow riviots,

Considering :

-That, last Friday, some R1S reservation holders have reported receiving personalized updates hinting at imminent guide contact;

-That drone footage showing apparently completed R1Ses was shared in the last 6 weeks;

-That sufficient progress has been achieved with R1T 3rd party deliveries to convince even the most skeptical of us that “this shit is really finally happening”;

-That CS told me in an e-mail 2 weeks ago that “While R1T deliveries have taken center stage recently, it’s becoming time for our 7-seater Electric Adventure Vehicle to take the spotlight.”;

-That Gideon did NOT see his shadow when they pulled him out of a gear tunnel on February 2nd;

It is my professional opinion there is an 83.4% probability that we will see a Rivian story on the R1S interior no later than April 8th.

As an engineer, I can only fault your assumptions, but not your math. That shit's accurate.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Agreed! My 1st and 2nd row mats on the XC90 are great, the cargo area are terrible. Different material and interlocking. The interlocking makes sense so it can be used with 3rd row up or down, but it just doesn’t work well in either situation.
FYI these canvasback liners are great. Have had one in my car going on 5 years. Has held up to dogs, bikes, car parts, firewood, yard implements, etc with barely any signs of wear. If I was getting an R1S one of their cargo liners would be the first thing I’d buy for it.

https://www.canvasback.com/

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
My fellow riviots,

Considering :

For the sake of the Guides, I hope it's before the 4th that they release a bunch of R1S details. That is supposedly the first day us March/April R1S LE folks will be able to schedule Guide intro calls according to the e-mail we got Friday.
Sponsored