3rd Row Design / Cargo Area Photos?

Pline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Gladiator, Landcruiser, Discovery
Occupation
Real Estate
Has anyone located good photos of the 3rd row. All I am locating on the internet shows a 6" pop up when the 3rd row laid flat. So when laid down the cargo ground floor gets split at two levels. Seems like a poor design for those who need a 3rd row. Its as if they just stuck them on top. Am I miss understanding their design?
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Has anyone located good photos of the 3rd row. All I am locating on the internet shows a 6" pop up when the 3rd row laid flat. So when laid down the cargo ground floor gets split at two levels. Seems like a poor design for those who need a 3rd row. Its as if they just stuck them on top. Am I miss understanding their design?
Those pics are from the prototype vehicles. They are still in the process of redesigning the second and third rows and cargo area to support a "Max" battery pack so there are currently no pictures of the final rear interior.

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
I spoke with Christina through chat a short time ago. The max dimensions on the R1S behind the 3rd row expressed in mm are 553x1298x855 and inches as 21.77x51.1x33.66. Keep in mind these numbers are the longest point of each dimension. The cargo volume is 499 Liters or roughly 17 cubic feet.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Old Video from Debut Video just to get a "IDEA"

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
FYI, that is ancient (relatively speaking) video of the debut Forest Green show/prototype R1S I referenced above. There has been a lot of development going on in the back half of the R1S so I am expecting to see some significant differences in the production vehicle.

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

FYI, that is ancient (relatively speaking) video of the debut Forest Green show/prototype R1S I referenced above. There has been a lot of development going on in the back half of the R1S so I am expecting to see some significant differences in the production vehicle.

Id really hope so, that rear room looks almost useless!

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Not that I could find!
I only say that because she stopped right after folding down the second row, and folding down the third row as well would answer a lot of questions, but now that I see the addendum that this is an older video, it may not matter.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
See #5, quoted from another thread.

This video is a really good rewatch.

A few takeaways:
1) Alexa controls (hood, gear tunnel, hopefully tailgate) & privacy focus
2) Some brief shots of the Forest Edge interior
3) RJ mentioning 300kW max charging & "10-90% charge in 35-40 minutes"
4) Rivian Adventure Network charging is just for Rivians
5) R1S 3rd row is "better than what you see here", "I'm 6'1"-6'2" and I can fit comfortably", "In the production car, it's really good" - Further confirmation that the production design is quite different than the prototype
6) Mention of 3 additional future vehicles

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dubs

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX460
I had a chat with CS earlier in the week. They said the 3rd row will be virtually/almost flush with the trunk level. There will be a slight step up when the 3rd row folds flat.

rivianrover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
So the latest from CS is that the 3rd rows folds "almost" flat? Also haven't seen anything on the 2nd row sliding. Any word on that? I use a sliding 2nd row now all the time to adjust 3rd row or cargo space so not having it would be an issue.

This picture is from August so well after the video above was made. Trying to figure out what the heck is going on with the 3rd row as it is recessed in the floor?

Rivian R1T R1S 3rd Row Design / Cargo Area Photos? White-Rivian-R1S-117607164_10223557384433186_7906131018993381324_o

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
So the latest from CS is that the 3rd rows folds "almost" flat? Also haven't seen anything on the 2nd row sliding. Any word on that? I use a sliding 2nd row now all the time to adjust 3rd row or cargo space so not having it would be an issue.

This picture is from August so well after the video above was made. Trying to figure out what the heck is going on with the 3rd row as it is recessed in the floor?

White-Rivian-R1S-117607164_10223557384433186_7906131018993381324_o.jpg
They have not shown the revamped interior yet, but based on the support website ("Both the second and third row fold nearly flat to about 3°"), you can reasonably conclude the design has changed substantially from the prototype vehicle in the photo.

The original design with the 180kWh option had a battery pack that needed some cabin space, which is likely why the original seat layout looked like that. This change with the pack layout and how it interacts with the seat layout is likely a big part of why they haven't released any details about a "Max Pack" yet. There's plenty of speculation but no info known as to exactly how much energy they'll be able to deliver without the cabin space incursion and therefore what range you'll get on an eventual Max Pack version.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

As I have mentioned before, much change going on back there that Rivian has yet to share publicly (although we have now seen how the exterior of the liftgate has been updated). At this point old pictures are worthless but here is another with the tailgate lowered to perhaps give you a better perspective of what the production vehicle will NOT look like. :)

Rivian R1T R1S 3rd Row Design / Cargo Area Photos? NNFOAVC
Sponsored