270 Awnings on R1T - Whatcha got?

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
I'm shopping for a 270 awning to fit R1T. Goal is to provide some side coverage as well as tailgate coverage to facilitate cooking on the tailgate.

Does anyone have a 270 setup on their R1T that you like/recommend? Pics?

Thanks!
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Overall I'm pretty happy with how mine worked out, but we had some issues with the OEM cargo rails not wanting to unlatch at the end of the season. The OVS one says it is rated to be used without the poles, but I'd probably only do it for quick stops as a sunshade if it isn't windy. It did have a tendency to collect rainwater, but It's mitigated somewhat if you run guy lines to pull the center sections down. I don't have experience with other brands or styles so not sure if that's the norm.

I would probably consider buying it again. It definitely earned it's keep with us being able to stay outside when it's raining out.

OP
OP
EVTrukHog

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Tampa_Rivian

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Volvo XC60 Recharge
Occupation
FTX Market Analyst
I came across this CO company, Freespirit Recreation, with a 270 awning that looks great... self supporting and only about 36 lbs. While not cheap, it is quite a bit less than the IKamper model (and about 1/2 the weight).

Is anyone familiar with the company, brand or this awning in particular? I've not heard of them before.

https://gofsr.com/collections/vehicle-awning/products/freespirit-recreation-270-awning
how hard is it to install one of these to the rivian crossbars? any idea?

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I went with a 180 awning. Unless you have a high bed rack (or R1S), the 270 is kind of covering the wrong areas.

Rivian R1T R1S 270 Awnings on R1T - Whatcha got? 20230226_194431625_iOS

Wasn't able to get pictures with it up that day. By the time I was ready to open it, it got dark and windy, and without staking it down I didn't want to risk taking my hands off of it to try to get a picture.

scooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 1250GS
Clubs

I went with a 180 awning. Unless you have a high bed rack (or R1S), the 270 is kind of covering the wrong areas.

20230226_194431625_iOS.jpg

Wasn't able to get pictures with it up that day. By the time I was ready to open it, it got dark and windy, and without staking it down I didn't want to risk taking my hands off of it to try to get a picture.
What's the mounted/closed length on that one you have mounted? I'm looking at the 23zero one and its 81" long

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
What's the mounted/closed length on that one you have mounted? I'm looking at the 23zero one and its 81" long
This is the OVS 180, listed as 88" closed, 240" long open. Basically covers the entire side of the truck.

OP
OP
EVTrukHog

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My goal is cover the non-ladder side of the RTT as well as the tailgate area of the truck. About to pull the trigger on the FSR model - I think.

OP
OP
EVTrukHog

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
how hard is it to install one of these to the rivian crossbars? any idea?
This should be straight forward as most all of the awnings have universal brackets that are compatible with our Rivian crossbars. I've attached multiple Yakima products (awning, baskets, road shower) as well as iKamper products without a problem. There are also scores of 3rd party brackets if you're trying an unconventional mount (higher than crossbars).

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
My goal is cover the non-ladder side of the RTT as well as the tailgate area of the truck. About to pull the trigger on the FSR model - I think.
Are you putting your tent on the roof? If so that might work.

OP
OP
EVTrukHog

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are you putting your tent on the roof? If so that might work.
My RTT is going on 18" bed rack...basically flush with the cab. The 270 awning will mount to the outer edge of the same bed rack and cantilever over the roof cab (while stowed).... at least this is current plan.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
My RTT is going on 18" bed rack...basically flush with the cab. The 270 awning will mount to the outer edge of the same bed rack and cantilever over the roof cab (while stowed).... at least this is current plan.
Got ya. That makes much more sense. The 270 should work great for you then. All the FSR products look pretty interesting to me. I was really close to going with their High Country tents, but the 63 seemed too small, and the 80 was too big for over the bed like I wanted (without a rack like you have). If they had a 72-75 I probably would have gone with that.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I came across this CO company, Freespirit Recreation, with a 270 awning that looks great... self supporting and only about 36 lbs. While not cheap, it is quite a bit less than the IKamper model (and about 1/2 the weight).

Is anyone familiar with the company, brand or this awning in particular? I've not heard of them before.

https://gofsr.com/collections/vehicle-awning/products/freespirit-recreation-270-awning
Good looking awning, I've not used FSR but I know the brand. If cost is your top factor you might want to look at a couple of these options:

Overland Vehicle Systems: https://overlandvehiclesystems.com/awnings-2/
Ironman 4X4: https://ironman4x4america.com/awnings-rooms/deltawing-270-awnings-1/

The iKamper model is certainly one of a kind with a hard case but if your not worried about ripping the outer case offroading that is probably not a factor.

OP
OP
EVTrukHog

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Good looking awning, I've not used FSR but I know the brand. If cost is your top factor you might want to look at a couple of these options:

Overland Vehicle Systems: https://overlandvehiclesystems.com/awnings-2/
Ironman 4X4: https://ironman4x4america.com/awnings-rooms/deltawing-270-awnings-1/

The iKamper model is certainly one of a kind with a hard case but if your not worried about ripping the outer case offroading that is probably not a factor.
I was really set on the iKamper ExoShell until I realized it was about 66 lbs... it seems like attaching and detaching an 8-1/2 foot 66 lb awning by yourself would be a PITA. There were also some early reviews complaining that the rigid case leaked while the awning was stowed... seems a bit ironic that the soft cases don't have this problem. I'd like to see more reviews over a longer period of time before investing that much in this awning. I'll check out your other suggestions... thanks for the input.
Sponsored