Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, tesla X, BMW XB7
Occupation
Sales
Clubs

The camp kitchen sled I just received from Thunderbolt does not slide out very well and is jammed onto the R1T gear garage door. It seems like I may need to add additional washers to angle it enough to clear the open gear tunnel door. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

eskudo12791

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
The camp kitchen sled I just received from Thunderbolt does not slide out very well and is jammed onto the R1T gear garage door. It seems like I may need to add additional washers to angle it enough to clear the open gear tunnel door. Any thoughts?
Maybe reach out to the company first before blasting them twice within a minute of each post?

Gary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, tesla X, BMW XB7
Occupation
Sales
Clubs

You're right, it wasn't my intention, I didn't realize I posted it correctly the first time, i thought i placed it in a non readable area. Apparently, the Rivian tunnel doors don't always open a true 90 degrees. They said hopefully a shim will fix the issue.

OP
OP
Thunderbolt Adventure

Thunderbolt Adventure

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Hi Gary,

We’re sorry you’re experiencing this. We hope the solution Matthew walked you through works well. We do see some variation in the vehicles and the gear tunnel is a very snug fit. If you need additional help, feel free to reach out directly and we’ll help you out!

Thanks!

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Hi folks,

A question came up over on Reddit and it seemed worth sharing our response over here too. The OP was torn between wanting the R1T Camp Kitchen and preferring an SUV. Someone helpfully pointed out that we make an R1S specific camp kitchen too. Of course, there were a number comments and I attempted to address them all. Here's my response - hope this is helpful to folks!

We are the only company making camp kitchens custom designed for the Rivian R1T and R1S.

Of course every solution has pros and cons. I'll address some of the concerns mentioned so far.

Space consumption - We've eliminated the two large storage bins we used for our old camping kitchen setup that used to travel in the truck bed by putting all of those things into the Camp Kitchen's wax canvas bags and the storage module. We also no longer schlep the gas camp stove or fuel canisters.

Matthew (Thunderbolt founder and designer) is an industrial designer with 25 years of experience in design and manufacturing. Each design decision was carefully considered. For example, he considered the height of the OEM kitchen to to be too tall for most users, especially on uneven campsites where you're using the trucks' leveling function. The clamshell design give you more work space and puts the work surface closer to standard counter height. The premium marine grade plywood is treated with a food safe danish oil finish. Danish oil is a penetrating finish, so it is long lasting, but if you ever want to touch it up, you can.

Both the R1T and the R1S kitchens are designed to easily remove from your vehicle. If you have an R1T, the Gear Sled is a versatile storage solution when you aren't using the kitchen. It uses a unique linear bearing slide mechanism that combines smooth motion with very little "sway" and supports more than 200 pounds. Well placed cutouts make for easy connection points for bungie cords or other tie-downs. The R1S kitchen has gas shocks that enable it to tip back while installed so that you can access the spare tire well without removing the kitchen.

The most common thing our customers tell us about their Thunderbolt Camp Kitchen is how nice it is to be able to start cooking within minutes of arriving at a camp site. Since I'm usually on cleanup duty, I'd add that the design makes putting everything away for the night super efficient.

Current and past Rivian employees who were familiar with the OEM Camp Kitchen have purchased and installed the Thunderbolt Adventure Supply camp kitchen in their own rigs.

We're happy to answer any questions you might have. Feel free to reach out!

https://www.thunderboltadventuresupply.com/

kyson-dana-tas-dr-05370.jpg
Can you tell us where to get the water tank/pump/faucet that can be seen in some pics on your website? Or is that included?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Thunderbolt Adventure

Thunderbolt Adventure

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Can you tell us where to get the water tank/pump/faucet that can be seen in some pics on your website? Or is that included?
That water tank and faucet is from Dometic. You can purchase it on their site or at REI. We'd love to become a reseller for Dometic and offer it with our kit, but so far we haven't been able to do so.

Gestalter9

Site Sponsor
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Designer
Hey Gary, thanks for taking the time to chat, and your new bolts and washers are in the mail! Sorry this was not the simple install that we usually see, but since the trucks are not all the same, sometimes we have some minor fit issues. If you get the parts and find further problems, you have y number, please reach out and we can get things worked out for you!

Gestalter9

Site Sponsor
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Designer
The water tank and faucet are from Dometic, we purchased them at REI.

Gary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, tesla X, BMW XB7
Occupation
Sales
Clubs

Hey Gary, thanks for taking the time to chat, and your new bolts and washers are in the mail! Sorry this was not the simple install that we usually see, but since the trucks are not all the same, sometimes we have some minor fit issues. If you get the parts and find further problems, you have y number, please reach out and we can get things worked out for you!
Thanks Thunderbolt team for your quick reply and hopefully adding some washers and the larger bolts plus sanding the end of the wood a bit will alleviate the problem of the door not opening a true 90 degrees. I did relay this to Rivian customer service BTW. will upload a photo when finished installing. Cheers

Jcmonty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep gladiator
@Thunderbolt Adventure do you have any more pictures of the r1s kitchen installed? Particularly of the different compartments , slides stowed and open, etc. the website is pretty sparse, plus it sounds like the design changed a bit since those pics. Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
Thunderbolt Adventure

Thunderbolt Adventure

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

@Thunderbolt Adventure do you have any more pictures of the r1s kitchen installed? Particularly of the different compartments , slides stowed and open, etc. the website is pretty sparse, plus it sounds like the design changed a bit since those pics. Thanks
Our customer in Arizona is working on a video this weekend. Our apologies for the delay, but we don’t have daily access to an R1S.

OP
OP
Thunderbolt Adventure

Thunderbolt Adventure

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Our customer in Arizona is working on a video this weekend. Our apologies for the delay, but we don’t have daily access to an R1S.
We're working on getting more video, but here's a bit to tide you over...

Ogryry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
One thing I didn’t love about the Rivian camp kitchen was that it made the back door inoperable (and susceptible to damage when a child tries to open the door from inside) when the kitchen was in use. I see you took the same approach. What’s the reason for not having it fold to the rear?

OP
OP
Thunderbolt Adventure

Thunderbolt Adventure

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

One thing I didn’t love about the Rivian camp kitchen was that it made the back door inoperable (and susceptible to damage when a child tries to open the door from inside) when the kitchen was in use. I see you took the same approach. What’s the reason for not having it fold to the rear?
The geometry of the gear tunnel door dictated the shape of the closed kitchen and also created the opportunity for the self supporting cantilever design. This requires it open toward the front.

We've been camping with ours for more than a year now and have never had one of the kids (or adults) open the door into the kitchen.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Sponsored