Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I was really set on the iKamper ExoShell until I realized it was about 66 lbs... it seems like attaching and detaching an 8-1/2 foot 66 lb awning by yourself would be a PITA. There were also some early reviews complaining that the rigid case leaked while the awning was stowed... seems a bit ironic that the soft cases don't have this problem. I'd like to see more reviews over a longer period of time before investing that much in this awning. I'll check out your other suggestions... thanks for the input.
You make several very god points. 66lbs is a heavy awning and I hadn’t read reviews, been very happy with my iKamper tent but I guess this is a new product.
Sponsored

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
My goal is cover the non-ladder side of the RTT as well as the tailgate area of the truck. About to pull the trigger on the FSR model - I think.
That FSR looks pretty interesting. Light.

As a side note, I sometimes chuckle when I see these "overlanding" setups glamping harder and carrying more gear than I do in my 40' Renegade Toterhome! I suspect they are the same people who wear their Canada Goose jackets to the mall. kidding.

OP
OP
EVTrukHog

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
That FSR looks pretty interesting. Light.

As a side note, I sometimes chuckle when I see these "overlanding" setups glamping harder and carrying more gear than I do in my 40' Renegade Toterhome! I suspect they are the same people who wear their Canada Goose jackets to the mall. kidding.
"overglamping" may be the new term of the day! I'm transitioning from backpack camping to "overlanding" as my knees and back don't allow the enjoyable multi-day hikes anymore. It's been a new world as I no longer have to be a "gram weenie" to determine what I take with me on outings in the R1T... and I've long since gotten over any pride of needing to be a minimalist. More comforts equals more enjoyment! Overglamping: guilty as charged.

Just get outside!

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
"overglamping" may be the new term of the day! I'm transitioning from backpack camping to "overlanding" as my knees and back don't allow the enjoyable multi-day hikes anymore. It's been a new world as I no longer have to be a "gram weenie" to determine what I take with me on outings in the R1T... and I've long since gotten over any pride of needing to be a minimalist. More comforts equals more enjoyment! Overglamping: guilty as charged.

Just get outside!
Also guilty of overglamping (good term!). For me it is more of a way to get my wife to agree to go. A RTT with access to a real toilet and shower of some sort are her mimimum requirements. I also ordered a Zero Breeze AC, you know "for her". I can take my boys on some true overlanding trips, but she definitely won't be going.

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002

Just get outside!
Oh I get it. Nothing wrong with a little glamping and beachside drink service now and then! Age and $$ have an inverse relationship to backpacking and cheap hotels!

Sponsored

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

I came across this CO company, Freespirit Recreation, with a 270 awning that looks great... self supporting and only about 36 lbs. While not cheap, it is quite a bit less than the IKamper model (and about 1/2 the weight).

Is anyone familiar with the company, brand or this awning in particular? I've not heard of them before.

https://gofsr.com/collections/vehicle-awning/products/freespirit-recreation-270-awning
I had a FSR tent for a while.
I loved it, only reason I left is because it was too big for my Rivian bed rails (would be perfect on a R1S though)

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
Honestly I thought about getting the 270 but they all seem to be less side coverage. I kinda pictured it being the 180 then extra but in reality it's changing the overall shape not total coverage in a lot of cases. I think something like the 23zero 180 with an additional bit to cover maybe bed or something would be nice option, or scoot it back and add additional coverage to the side but go behind truck as well.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

We have an FSR High country 55 and have been pretty happy with it, it is sturdy and has held up in some pretty strong winds. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one of their other products.

OP
OP
EVTrukHog

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
We have an FSR High country 55 and have been pretty happy with it, it is sturdy and has held up in some pretty strong winds. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one of their other products.
This is good to hear. I'm still on the fence between FSR, iKamper, and Yakima 270 awnings. The FSR got my attention b/c it's so lightweight. But I am a bit concerned that the lightweight composition means it is not built as sturdy. With the long cantilevered arms and exposure to wind, the 270 awnings need to have hearty hinges and braces.

All three of these manufacturers are about equally non-responsive to technical questions submitted via their online customer support.

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Honestly I thought about getting the 270 but they all seem to be less side coverage. I kinda pictured it being the 180 then extra but in reality it's changing the overall shape not total coverage in a lot of cases. I think something like the 23zero 180 with an additional bit to cover maybe bed or something would be nice option, or scoot it back and add additional coverage to the side but go behind truck as well.
Some of them are like you are mentioning.

Check out the lineup from OVS. I believe the one on the left (Nomadic 270) is what you are after. The central one (Nomadic 270 LT) is more rear focused.
Rivian R1T R1S 270 Awnings on R1T - Whatcha got? 1678391062564

They offer it in Driver Side and Passenger side configurations.

https://overlandvehiclesystems.com/...e-dark-gray-cover-with-black-cover-universal/

https://overlandvehiclesystems.com/...e-dark-gray-cover-with-black-cover-universal/

They are currently on sale for $849.99, and the 15% off code that I used still appears to be active (2023NEWYEAROVS15), bringing them down to $722.49.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Check out the lineup from OVS. I believe the one on the left (Nomadic 270) is what you are after. The central one (Nomadic 270 LT) is more rear focused.
1678391062564.png

They are currently on sale for $849.99, and the 15% off code that I used still appears to be active (2023NEWYEAROVS15), bringing them down to $722.49.
That's the one I have, the side triangle ends up meeting right about the center of the front wheel. Most of what we pack in the Frunk goes into the tent, so we aren't in and out of it a lot. Didn't seem important to have coverage in front of the cabin doors.

OP
OP
EVTrukHog

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

1678391062564.png

The OVS 270 at this price point may be hard to pass up... 72 lbs may be a hassle to attach and detach but everything about it looks solid. Decisions....

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF

1678391062564.png

That's the one I have, the side triangle ends up meeting right about the center of the front wheel. Most of what we pack in the Frunk goes into the tent, so we aren't in and out of it a lot. Didn't seem important to have coverage in front of the cabin doors.
Actually saw those afterwards(and 23zero) do kinda do what I was saying - the only thing is I really wanted them to hang from the roof not the back(or either/or would be nice) Anyone tried hanging a 270 from the roof? I realize it will cover the bed in the back instead.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
The OVS 270 at this price point may be hard to pass up... 72 lbs may be a hassle to attach and detach but everything about it looks solid. Decisions....
I just leave the awning and shower attached to the racks and hoist the whole thing off. Only works because I don't need the racks for other things.

Rivian R1T R1S 270 Awnings on R1T - Whatcha got? 20230309_211047959_iOS
Sponsored