Sponsored

21" Tires after 14k miles - Do you have gouges in the tread like this?

anotherburrito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3 LR + Boost
I noticed a few days ago that my 21" tires have gouges in the tread. More of the fronts, but some on the rear as well.
They have 14k miles on them, and I've never had the truck off-road. Has anyone else seen this on theirs?

Rivian R1T R1S 21" Tires after 14k miles - Do you have gouges in the tread like this? IMG_1228
Sponsored

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Yeah, me too. They’re soft tires. 🤷‍♂️

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Have not noticed this on our 21’s, but we are only at about 8,500 miles.

State11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Defender D90
I had some before switching to 20's, but we went off road quite a few times (including accidentally on part of the Rubicon on its 2nd day). If the snow will ever melt, I can save a lot of time by
taking fire roads instead of waiting in construction traffic.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
I’m at 15k and my 21” tires look exactly the same. Though as the previous poster did I also went off-roading taking the truck from big bear to pioneer town on 2N02… I figured that’s what did it as I was mostly lucky not to shred em out there on that trail… lots of sharp rocks to climb through and over!

Sponsored

OP
OP
anotherburrito

anotherburrito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3 LR + Boost
I’m at 15k and my 21” tires look exactly the same. Though as the previous poster did I also went off-roading taking the truck from big bear to pioneer town on 2N02… I figured that’s what did it as I was mostly lucky not to shred em out there on that trail… lots of sharp rocks to climb through and over!
That makes me feel better, I think. You don't have any concerns about having a blowout with them looking like that? I'm probably just being a little paranoid.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
Im going to replace them with 20’s in the next few weeks and sell the 21’s. Im a bit worried as I’ve found a couple of those gouges run very deep. I wanted the 20’s from the get go, but when I got my truck I was told I could wait months for 20’s or have it immediately with 21’s… I caved and took it ASAP! Looking forward to getting 20’s with some KO2s or Cooper AT3s

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

That makes me feel better, I think. You don't have any concerns about having a blowout with them looking like that? I'm probably just being a little paranoid.
If you put in a service ticket, please let us know what they say about this. Also wonder what the Pirelli warranty is like. Probably garbage. I would have the same concern you have about blowouts, especially on such a heavy vehicle.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
You ran over something. The pattern and cut is consistent with either a rock (though you said you weren’t off-reading) or, more likely, some metal debris on a road. Would recommend new tires if that cut is deep enough. It’s the slice between the treads that scares me the most.

I took out a tire a week after picking up my Tundra a few years ago. Similar situation, 880N on-ramp in Milpitas. Spare tire wouldn’t drop due to a faulty spare lock installed by Toyota. Stranded for -hours-, had to flatbed that monster home.