Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

great
I'll be pestering you seasoned truckers from time to time
My first car had 7:75 14's and second one had wide oval 14's and an inflatable spare
since then all vans has something like 235/75 16" LT
forgot tom mention that besides smooth ride and low friction we'd like a safe rain tire
Whatever options you might explore, make certain their Load Rating matches or exceeds that of Rivian's requirements. These puppies are going to be a bit on the heavy side, and the acceleration capabilities will also necessitate tough tires. If a variant also offers the "EV" rating, that would be desirable, as well.
Sponsored

bike123.com

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

Whatever options you might explore, make certain their Load Rating matches or exceeds that of Rivian's requirements. These puppies are going to be a bit on the heavy side, and the acceleration capabilities will also necessitate tough tires. If a variant also offers the "EV" rating, that would be desirable, as well.
this is very helpful. Of course we don't 'plan' to accelerate quickly. It wastes fuel.....never mind,
Well. maybe an emergency lane change.... or making the yellow light.....

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

this is very helpful. Of course we don't 'plan' to accelerate quickly. It wastes fuel.....never mind,
Or the "But it was barely red!" one...? > ?>?> ? > ?‍♂ > ?

Last edited:

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Or just for the sheer fun of it... ;)

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
we also like the idea of the 20 - more tire less wheel - the 21 is interesting but fewer tire choices looming.
since we are only mildly off roading anyone know if we can get the 20 with a quieter higher range tire?
if not anyone know the likelihood of selling the original tires as 'take offs' so we don't eat the whole cost of the road tires
?
I plan to just use up the first set of 20" ATs and see how they do (mostly) on the road. Eyeballing that Pirelli tread pattern I think it'll be just fine on the road without any annoying whine.

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
If your feeling real adventurous you can get the super efficient wheels GM is planning on using for the new Hummer EV seen here being tested by their chief technology officer:
Rivian R1T R1S 20” All-Terrain or 22” Sport wheel upgrade included - Which is better 20 or 22 1616084883679

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
I'm planning to get 21" wheels for my R1S to maximize range but want to get a second set of wheels to mount snow tires on. I'm thinking 20". I assume I can mount P275/55R20 snow tires on them. Wondering if that'll look weird. Thoughts?

Rivian R1T R1S 20” All-Terrain or 22” Sport wheel upgrade included - Which is better 20 or 22 Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 5.38.37 PM

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I'm planning to get 21" wheels for my R1S to maximize range but want to get a second set of wheels to mount snow tires on. I'm thinking 20". I assume I can mount P275/55R20 snow tires on them. Wondering if that'll look weird. Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 5.38.37 PM.png
I don’t think it will look weird. It’ll just potentially mess up your speedometer and make it less accurate. There’s differences in tire circumference between the 20” and the other factory sizes, so I’m assuming there will be some kind of setting in the software to adjust for that. Just not sure whether it will be limited to selecting the available OEM options or will allow you to enter any tire size you want.

bike123.com

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

I don’t think it will look weird. It’ll just potentially mess up your speedometer and make it less accurate. There’s differences in tire circumference between the 20” and the other factory sizes, so I’m assuming there will be some kind of setting in the software to adjust for that. Just not sure whether it will be limited to selecting the available OEM options or will allow you to enter any tire size you want.
Wasn’t the deal that when rims went larger tire tire profile went down?
In other words.... OD is same.
So our 20’s will have higher height of tire.
We’d do 21 but word on the street is the 21 is a proprietary size

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
On the subject of snow tires, I recently asked which tires were used in the winter testing video that came out a while back.

I thought for sure the response would be that they used the 20" AT tires, the only ones carrying the snowflake/mountain symbol. Apparently that wasn't the case. They were using the standard 21" tires.

They appeared to be in good control of the vehicles, suggesting perhaps that the computer programing and four motors provide a real boost to winter handling.

Hopefully, some of the launch edition buyers will take their vehicles out and test them in the snow. And, of course, post their results.

Right now, I'm sitting with the 20" AT's. But, if the range hit from these tires is big and the 21" tires handle decently in the snow, I might consider switching.

Sponsored

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
On the subject of snow tires, I recently asked which tires were used in the winter testing video that came out a while back.

I thought for sure the response would be that they used the 20" AT tires, the only ones carrying the snowflake/mountain symbol. Apparently that wasn't the case. They were using the standard 21" tires.

They appeared to be in good control of the vehicles, suggesting perhaps that the computer programing and four motors provide a real boost to winter handling.

Hopefully, some of the launch edition buyers will take their vehicles out and test them in the snow. And, of course, post their results.

Right now, I'm sitting with the 20" AT's. But, if the range hit from these tires is big and the 21" tires handle decently in the snow, I might consider switching.
Snow tires are an obsession I don’t understand. Those 21” with AWD and a competent driver will be fine for all but a handful of use cases. 18 years driving in windy, snowy Minnesota and far North Wisconsin with Subarus and AS tires was more than enough. If those can handle 30 mph winds and 2-3 foot drifts, you’ll be fine with the Rivian more refined advanced traction control and the 21s.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired

Wow! That’s good info. Thanks for asking them that question. Now, if they could only have a better looking 21” wheel...

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Wasn’t the deal that when rims went larger tire tire profile went down?
In other words.... OD is same.
So our 20’s will have higher height of tire.
We’d do 21 but word on the street is the 21 is a proprietary size
The 20” tire is about 1.2” larger outside diameter than the 22”. You can actually see it in the Configurator - if you change wheel options the OD tire size changes in the picture of the truck. 21” and 22” appear to be the same OD, but there’s no specs yet that I can find on the 21” to confirm since it’s a brand new size that’s never been made before.

Last edited:

bike123.com

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

So with the larger diameter /circumference the 20 should offer the longer range but likely the AT tread robs the efficiency

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
The 20” tire is about 1.2” larger outside diameter than the 22”. You can actually see it in the Configurator - if you change wheel options the OD tire size changes in the picture of the truck. 21” and 22” appear to be the same OD, but there’s no specs yet that I can find on the 21” to confirm since it’s a brand new size that’s never been made before.
If you do the math, you get the following diameters:
275/65R20 - 34.07"
275/55R21 - 32.91"
275/50R22 - 32.83"

You may able to fit 275/60R20 tires onto the 20" wheels. That would yield a diameter of 32.99".
Sponsored