20” All-Terrain or 22” Sport wheel upgrade included - Which is better 20 or 22

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Looks like more options may be coming. Couldn't find anything on exact sizes, but promising as an alternative to the Pirellis for those that won't do much/any dirt.
https://www.aftermarketnews.com/michelin-launches-pilot-sport-ev-tire-for-electric-sports-vehicles/
"The Michelin Pilot Sport EV will be rolled during 2021 in a choice of 16 sizes (original equipment: 11 sizes / replacement market: 5 sizes) for 18- to 22-inch rims."

Based off the tire used for Formula E and designed for the extra weight of EVs. Claiming LRR with more range, extra grip, longer wear, and quieter.
Sponsored

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Just as a general statement, I would be surprised if we don't have good alternatives by the time we are all through our first set of tires, but I have a feeling an uncommon tire size will always be an uncommon tire size. That said, you only need one good choice in your given size... Variety isn't necessarily required, as long as the choices that exist work out.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Said no one ever after having discovered the tank turn button.

R1T delivery date: 16 June
New set of tires ordered: 17 June
Eager2own, Michelin just confirmed a two-week shipping window required to Texas. I took the liberty of changing your order to June 1st, just to be sure.

You’re welcome! ?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Looks like more options may be coming. Couldn't find anything on exact sizes, but promising as an alternative to the Pirellis for those that won't do much/any dirt.
https://www.aftermarketnews.com/michelin-launches-pilot-sport-ev-tire-for-electric-sports-vehicles/
"The Michelin Pilot Sport EV will be rolled during 2021 in a choice of 16 sizes (original equipment: 11 sizes / replacement market: 5 sizes) for 18- to 22-inch rims."

Based off the tire used for Formula E and designed for the extra weight of EVs. Claiming LRR with more range, extra grip, longer wear, and quieter.
DucRider,

First off, thanks for providing your guidance on EVSE options. I ordered the Chargepoint Home Flex through Amazon Smile last night (designating OEVA as my charity), and it was here when I came home this afternoon. Can't wait to have it hooked up!

For those of you who might not know, making your Amazon purchases through "Amazon Smile" allows you to designate the charity of your choice to receive a donation of 0.5% of each purchase. It works just like any other Amazon transaction, including your card, all points/rewards, etc., and the price to you is the same. The Oregon EV Association is non- profit that helps to advance the adoption and understanding of EVs, and partners with a national organization that does the same. Please help them, or any other worthy group, by making any Amazon purchases through their Amazon Smile program.

If this appreciative plug for the OEVA or Amazon Smile is out of line, I hope the Administrator or Moderator will please advise and I will gladly remove or alter it, as needed.

Now, back on topic. Thanks for the heads up on the upcoming Michelins! I recently put a set of Pilot Sport 4S Summer tires on my ELR and the new PS4S SUV’s on my XC60 R-Design. For what it's worth, both warn against use below 40⁰F. I was going to put the standard car PS4S’s on the XC60 when Volvo advised that they needed a higher load rating than the car version provides. They said they needed to be load rated to at least 105. Luckily, Michelin had just released the SUV version with a 105 load rating for Light Trucks and SUV’s.

I'm assuming the article is referencing this fairly new LT/SUV version in their comparison to the upcoming EV version in footnotes #3 (regarding cornering stiffness) and #7 (regarding rolling resistance). While the article references the extra weight of EVs influencing the design of this upcoming tire, I believe they mention EV "cars" exclusively. I didn't see any reference to Light Trucks or SUVs outside of those two footnotes. In that EV Trucks and SUVs will also be heavier than their standard ICE brethren, we'd best see increased load ratings to provide for the mass, acceleration, and cornering forces these Rivians will bring to the dance. At the very least, I would think Rivian would follow Volvo and other manufacturers' path and strongly advise only those tires with sufficient load and speed ratings.

The article did mention wet and dry performance, which both the PS4S and PS4S LT/SUVs excel at, but I'm hoping they are not limited to 40⁰+ temperatures. I'll feel better if I see both All-Season and LT/SUV ratings accompanying the EV rating.

Regarding the acoustic foam they mention, I know very little about this technique for reducing tire hum and road noise. In a different thread about tires, acoustic foam was mentioned and the presenter did not report good things about it. If I recall correctly, they said chunks would break off and create vibrations, out of balances, and noises of their own. Has anyone else had any negative experience with acoustic foam?

At the very least, it's great to hear that a company like Michelin may be able to provide us with specialty replacement tires no matter which of the Rivian wheels we decide to roll with.

Sponsored

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
The article did mention wet and dry performance, which both the PS4S and PS4S LT/SUVs excel at, but I'm hoping they are not limited to 40⁰+ temperatures. I'll feel better if I see both All-Season and LT/SUV ratings accompanying the EV rating.
The PS4S is really a summer tire, which is why it has the 40 degree rating. At higher altitudes, we have plenty of below freezing mornings on 60 degree days, so I've driven on cold summer tires plenty of times. Luckily, they don't fall apart, but traction is noticeably compromised.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

The PS4S is really a summer tire, which is why it has the 40 degree rating. At higher altitudes, we have plenty of below freezing mornings on 60 degree days, so I've driven on cold summer tires plenty of times. Luckily, they don't fall apart, but traction is noticeably compromised.
Mike, The PS4S family are wonderful Summer tires, but I’m not sure they were portrayed this way in the article or that this model is necessarily a Summer Tire. The lack of mentioning All-Season tells me they are designed, if not formally designated here, for Summer. Michelin does make a Pilot Sport All Season 4, and it is also a really decent alternative. As I’ve said elsewhere here, I’d rather have great winter tires and great summer tires than a tire that’s good in all seasons, but great in none. My hope is that anyone considering them down the road knows any seasonal limitations before buying a set.

While my ELR is in hibernation for about six months of the year, my Volvo is my every day driver. In Oregon, we have much the same situation you do in Colorado. Several months out of the year we could be near freezing in the morning and have great summer like weather the rest of the day. For the winter months, the Volvo rolls with Hakka 4’s. It’s always a crap shoot as to when to make the switch.

Again, I’m really pleased that Michelin appears to be a coming choice for replacements, I just hope they’re beefed up for the weight and needs of EV Trucks and SUVs.

Side note/Random thought of the day: Can we just start calling the R1S and its forthcoming clones “SUEV’s”, “SUEVy’s”, or “SUEVies”?

Last edited:

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Mike, The PS4S family are wonderful Summer tires, but I’m not sure they were portrayed this way in the article or that this model is necessarily a Summer Tire. The lack of mentioning All-Season tells me they are designed, if not formally designated here, for Summer. Michelin does make a Pilot Sport All Season 4, and it is also a really decent alternative. As I’ve said elsewhere here, I’d rather have great winter tires and great summer tires than a tire that’s good in all seasons, but great in none. My hope is that anyone considering them down the road knows any seasonal limitations before buying a set.

While my ELR is in hibernation for about six months of the year, my Volvo is my every day driver. In Oregon, we have much the same situation you do in Colorado. Several months out of the year we could be near freezing in the morning and have great summer like weather the rest of the day. For the winter months, the Volvo rolls with Hakka 4’s. It’s always a crap shoot as to when to make the switch.

Again, I’m really pleased that Michelin appears to be a coming choice for replacements, I just hope they’re beefed up for the weight and needs of EV Trucks and SUVs.

Side note/Random thought of the day: Can we just start calling the R1S and its forthcoming clones “SUEV’s”, “SUEVy’s”, or “SUEVies”?
Agreed, they aren't very specific in the press release, but maybe since they're not due out until later this year, they haven't finalized which tread patterns and compounds will be available? Or it is just a lot more interesting to release a performance tire than an all season...

I'm not sure if you saw this, but Michelin has a site up with some more pictures:
https://contentcenter.michelin.com/portal/shared-board/342f0bbe-40c1-4e91-bf45-5faa89ce7e46

Based on the look of it, I'd expect it to be more like the summer version of the Pilot Sports, as opposed to the Pilot Sport All Season. All of the "All Season" variants have pretty obvious snow treads. Even the Pilot Sport 4 SUV shares the summer tread pattern, and most likely, the summer compound.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Sorry for jumping in but was trying top find the posting about the CF (I assume Carbon Fiber)aero wheel covers.
Since we are not thrilled with any of the 'busy" wheel styles (we are getting 20 and swapping to quieter road tires) what the heck,
Anyone have a link or info on these covers?
There is NO guarantee that those aero inserts will be a thing, although they have been seen on the LA Silver and Compass Yellow R1Ts, in both carbon fiber and black options. I am hoping they are as they look really good on the wheels...especially the carbon ones. Chat up CS tomorrow and give them that input.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Agreed, they aren't very specific in the press release, but maybe since they're not due out until later this year, they haven't finalized which tread patterns and compounds will be available? Or it is just a lot more interesting to release a performance tire than an all season...

I'm not sure if you saw this, but Michelin has a site up with some more pictures:
https://contentcenter.michelin.com/portal/shared-board/342f0bbe-40c1-4e91-bf45-5faa89ce7e46

Based on the look of it, I'd expect it to be more like the summer version of the Pilot Sports, as opposed to the Pilot Sport All Season. All of the "All Season" variants have pretty obvious snow treads. Even the Pilot Sport 4 SUV shares the summer tread pattern, and most likely, the summer compound.
Mike, Thanks for this post. They do look similar to the current Summer treads. I think I could make out a load rating of 101 in one pic of the 20's, but it wasn't very clear. Of the few photos where you can clearly read the 3T ratings, all have "A" ratings for Temperature and Traction, but the Treadware differs by size. The 255/40 R20's have their Treadware rated at 320, while another (I couldn't read the size) was only 220. Odd that one of the blurrier shots shows China in the country of origin oval, while another is blank. Just an observation.

One thing that is clear is the acoustic foam layer seen inside some of the pics, accompanied by the "Acoustic" label on the tire. I'm sure many of you are familiar with using foam in this way. Honestly, I didn't know this was a thing.

While this release gives me hope, I guess we'll have to wait and see if they make this model in a sturdy enough configuration for the heavier trucks and SUEVies we're waiting on. I won't worry that it may be designated Summer-only, as I intend on having AS/AT tires & wheels for the winter/mud/sandbox moments.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Vern Bybee

First Name
Vern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra, Cherokee, XJ...
I'm going off-roading so 20s are for me
I asked about ordering a extra spare and got a generic answer
check on what Emme from the Rebelle Rally said about them
No flats and the performance was great

bike123.com

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

I'm going off-roading so 20s are for me
I asked about ordering a extra spare and got a generic answer
check on what Emme from the Rebelle Rally said about them
No flats and the performance was great
we also like the idea of the 20 - more tire less wheel - the 21 is interesting but fewer tire choices looming.
since we are only mildly off roading anyone know if we can get the 20 with a quieter higher range tire?
if not anyone know the likelihood of selling the original tires as 'take offs' so we don't eat the whole cost of the road tires
?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
we also like the idea of the 20 - more tire less wheel - the 21 is interesting but fewer tire choices looming.
since we are only mildly off roading anyone know if we can get the 20 with a quieter higher range tire?
if not anyone know the likelihood of selling the original tires as 'take offs' so we don't eat the whole cost of the road tires
?
No one knows, for sure, yet.... But an educated guess:

Each wheel option will have ONE tire choice from Rivian.

You can swap tires, aftermarket, if you want. Although if your goal is efficiency, then you may not be able to improve on what Rivian provides. Even their 20" "off-road" tire is specially designed for Rivian, so I assume that'll be peak efficiency. Now if you want better off-road prowess, then I bet you'll be able to gain in that category with aftermarket tires.

You can sell the tires that Rivian ships. What you can get for them is whatever someone is willing to pay. I wouldn't expect much, though. 50% of retail would be too high, imo.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
?
Yes, there's plenty of suitable options in the same exact tire size (AS, AT, & even some snow tires). You could also go with a smaller AS tire on the 20" wheel & be close to the same 33" diameter of the tires on the 21s & 22s. Should help efficiency if you downsized & went from AT to AS...

bike123.com

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

Yes, there's plenty of suitable options in the same exact tire size (AS, AT, & even some snow tires). You could also go with a smaller AS tire on the 20" wheel & be close to the same 33" diameter of the tires on the 21s & 22s. Should help efficiency if you downsized & went from AT to AS...
great
I'll be pestering you seasoned truckers from time to time
My first car had 7:75 14's and second one had wide oval 14's and an inflatable spare
since then all vans has something like 235/75 16" LT
forgot tom mention that besides smooth ride and low friction we'd like a safe rain tire
Sponsored