Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
20” All-Terrain or 22” Sport wheel upgrade included - Which is better 20 or 22
My two cents. I live on the central Oregon coast and commuted ~ 56 miles each way to Salem, OR until the pandemic made my position available for telecommute. I drove a 2018 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription, with Perrelli Scorpion Verde All Season 275/40 R21 tires. My XC90 had a GRV of 6635 lbs and I got 36K out of my first set. I sold the car at just over 60K on the odometer and there was plenty of tread left. The route I drove goes through the Oregon Coastal Range, increasing to ~ 660ft elevation. A good part of the drive is through heavy forest, which then turns to open meadows. In other words, lots of opportunity for dramatic weather changes. Oregon rains a LOT so streaming water or pools on the road can be just as hazardous as ice or compact snow. The XC90 handled it with ease.

I had one extremely white-knuckle ride on a crisp morning (just below 28* F) when I hit the downhill slope coming out of the forested area into wide open farm land. I had to blink twice before I realized the mile or so in front of me was a solid sheet of ice across both lanes of travel. I just slowed down and was fine, making sure not to make any sudden moves on the steering wheel and certainly avoiding the brakes. Out of nowhere behind came a late model sedan traveling at a very rate of speed - followed by SIX law enforcement vehicles (Oregon State Police, County Sheriff, Tribal Police) all in hot pursuit. I managed to get out of the way without ending up in the deep ditch on both sides of the road, but man I was not happy. What was weird was the fact that the ice patch already had police and other safety equipment trying to get people to slow down and pay attention. The car in question was stolen and was disabled by the LE several miles down the road without incident. No weapons, hostage, jar jacking etc. It was just your basic stolen vehicle.

I am still not sure why the police decided the hot pursuit was a good idea given the road condition, but there it was.
Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
My two cents. I live on the central Oregon coast and commuted ~ 56 miles each way to Salem, OR until the pandemic made my position available for telecommute. I drove a 2018 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription, with Perrelli Scorpion Verde All Season
I've had the Pirelli Verde on two Tesla Model Xs. The X just eats tires and transmits road noise to the cabin. The Verde tire is quiet and lasted 20K miles (the factory Continentals lasted 5K miles before the recurring susceptibility to punctures annoyed me enough to throw them away) and still had good tread when I sold the first X.
Snow and wet weather grip is great. Dry weather performance and braking were not great (about the same as factory.)
Pirelli Zeros were much better (and twice the price) so I stuck with the Verdes. I also put them on the Range Rover, which is very sensitive to tires and they're great (also the Rangie has much less torque, so the Verde lasts and stopping distance isn't a problem because there's a ton less to stop.)

Personally, I'm getting the R1T with the factory 20's and will swap to BFG K02s for summer off-road driving. I wouldn't put 22s on a pickup or SUV unless I shifted careers to some flamboyant, ostentatious street crime entrepreneurism.