Sponsored

1st deliveries in November says my Rivian Guide. Communication from RJ expected today

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I had emailed Rivian this week to check on a couple of questions I had...this was the response to if deliveries would actually happen this month with now 10 working days left. Time will tell.

"We cannot wait to get deliveries started! I appreciate your concern over delivery timing, and I wanted to assure you that we are still on track to start deliveries of the Launch Edition R1T this month! Once they officially begin, I have no doubt you will hear about it right away." Emma
Sponsored

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
I had emailed Rivian this week to check on a couple of questions I had...this was the response to if deliveries would actually happen this month with now 10 working days left. Time will tell.

"We cannot wait to get deliveries started! I appreciate your concern over delivery timing, and I wanted to assure you that we are still on track to start deliveries of the Launch Edition R1T this month! Once they officially begin, I have no doubt you will hear about it right away." Emma
Of course we all hope this is correct.
But we also know that this is what CS was saying until June 27 or so.
Rivian is on track to deliver... until it’s not.

WheeledLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Juiced HyperScorpion
Occupation
Thinker
So this what a worldwide pandemic can cause. Go figure. Horrible time to be a buyer of anything. We are hoping to get our new couch in April ?
Wow, this sucks. And is completely what I expected to happen.

Guess I’ll just go buy some other non-Tesla (hate the design and Elon) 3 row all-electric SUVs already on the market.

oh wait, those don’t exist… so I guess I’m stuck waiting here unless another option magically appears! Probably would have leased a highlander hybrid 3 years ago had I known about the delays. But it’s too late for that to make sense now.

Bummer.
Mass-production of a new model is a super complex process even for an established OEM. Must focus on parts coordination/logistics timing and perhaps RJ was unclear on overall production readiness in the past. Pandemic or not... Mass-production launch readiness should be predictable now.
Of course we all hope this is correct.
But we also know that this is what CS was saying until June 27 or so.
Rivian is on track to deliver... until it’s not.
Mass-production of a new vehicle is a really complex process even for an experienced OEM. On the June 27th delay, RJ may not have had a clear view of launch readiness. Expect that organizational weakness may have been exposed by now that can and must be managed toward a reliable delivery schedule for customers.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Under promising and over delivering is exactly just that. IMHO continued promising and not delivering is an entirely different matter even when deliveries finally start!
We are well past the "over deliver" stage for Rivian. The hopium drug has made many people delusional. :CWL:

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
For a company with honestly terrible communication and for keeping prospective buyers and early reservations holders in the dark about pretty much everything, this for sure could be true. Makes me think more and more about dropping the LE and just waiting for the Max Pack. ?
You should. range is king

Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Rivian is still searching for a “Launch Manager”?.

Role Summary
Launch Program Management is a cross functional role that ties together product development and operations organizations to bring new vehicles to life. In this role, you will partner with the design engineering, supply chain, operations, production control, and manufacturing engineering team to first build prototype vehicles, and then continue through start of production for the product ensuring that all Operations functions are ready to deliver high quality vehicles to our customers.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
From Facebook. Believe it or don’t.
I would take some pics while here but I’d get fired really quick. The delay in production is getting the materials from suppliers. I’m currently building the machines that are going to build the battery packs that go into the “skateboards” that are fit into the bottom of the vehicles. We are running into programming and design issues from Photon (the machine designers and original builders). Several very expensive sensors are broken and holding up programming progress and are a pain in the ass to get ordered and shipped. Everything is back ordered. Currently, Rivian employees are building the batteries and “skateboards” by hand. Which takes forever to do.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Rivian is still searching for a “Launch Manager”?.

Role Summary
Launch Program Management is a cross functional role that ties together product development and operations organizations to bring new vehicles to life. In this role, you will partner with the design engineering, supply chain, operations, production control, and manufacturing engineering team to first build prototype vehicles, and then continue through start of production for the product ensuring that all Operations functions are ready to deliver high quality vehicles to our customers.
To be fair, I think some person or group has been doing at least some of those functions already. We wouldn’t see pre-production vehicles being photographed and videoed if nobody at all was working to, “…build prototype vehicles, and then continue through start of production for the product…”

To me it seems like they now want a person to do this in a dedicated formal capacity for upcoming products.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

We are well past the "over deliver" stage for Rivian. The hopium drug has made many people delusional. :CWL:
I think a lot of it has to do with when a person paid for a reservation.

Folks who did this in 2018 and 2019 only to watch 2020 pass and get over halfway through 2021 with no deliveries are going to be a lot more likely to be frustrated than someone like me who didn’t reserve until April of 2021. I don’t expect a vehicle until late 2022 at the earliest. Anything that happened before April makes me feel empathy for people who have been waiting a very long time, but it doesn’t impact me directly.

The reason I didn’t consider reserving earlier was because the new manufacturer and new model aspects made me think there might be serious snags so it didn’t seem realistic to give $1000 to what felt like a complete unknown. Beyond that, the charging infrastructure has gone from unacceptable to acceptable for our projected use of the vehicle. Finally, when looking at ICE near-equivalents of a Rivian R1S, the cost difference doesn’t seem as big as it once was.

So I remain optimistic and we’ll see how things play out. If we have a Rivian in our garage by the end of 2022 then from my perspective they will have over-delivered.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I would think he would get fired for posting this on Facebook.

I blocked out the guys/gals name hopefully they remove their comments.
Sponsored