Sponsored

FrankieJ

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and Mercedes GLE 53 AMG
As someone else said, the Pro SR is theoretically available to retail buyers. The wait list is probably several years long, but retail buyers will be getting Pros.

As far as the Extended Range battery, the cheapest Lightning with the Extended Range battery is $10k more than that. It's ~$73k, because Ford forces XLT buyers to select a ~$10k option package in order to be allowed to option the big battery. So, it's ~$20k worth of options on top of the base $53k XLT.
Thanks for the clarification.
Sponsored

FrankieJ

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and Mercedes GLE 53 AMG
Is the audio systems really that comparable? The Rivian is hands down the best I've ever heard. And I've had some good ones over the years - Burmester who?

BO has made decent systems before, but still never personally heard one that beats out what Rivian has. Kind of torn on this because it's my favorite thing about the Rivian. And unfortunately I won't have the BO system in the Lightning
I couldn’t agree more. The Rivian sound system is the best I have ever heard and I have experienced nearly every high end system that is out there. Amazon music is a great high quality music source. Still hoping CarPlay will be implemented but I’m not going to hold my breath on that one.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

That's how professionals do it. Rivian order system is amateur hour.
It looks good in principle. It made the wait for our Raptor pretty hard to understand as the dates kept changing.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
As someone else said, the Pro SR is theoretically available to retail buyers. The wait list is probably several years long, but retail buyers will be getting Pros.

As far as the Extended Range battery, the cheapest Lightning with the Extended Range battery is $10k more than that. It's ~$73k, because Ford forces XLT buyers to select a ~$10k option package in order to be allowed to option the big battery. So, it's ~$20k worth of options on top of the base $53k XLT.
And this explanation is a big reason why I choose to take delivery of a R1T next Thursday for a mere $2k more than a lower range, lower performance, and vastly lesser equipped Lightning XLT ER. Not that Ford let many Alabamians order one anyway...😉

Blaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55
Their battery cooling is WAY subpar, hence their rather poor 150kW charging limitation.
Tests have seen 170kW. It also has a relatively high average charge rate.

It's not Taycan-level, but it's pretty good.

Same with the Mach-E. Trying to do a few 0-60 runs overheats the battery and restricts performance.
Tests so far indicate that's not an issue for the Lightning... at least nowhere near the extent of the Mach E GT, which is definitely unacceptable, IMO, for a "Performance" trim level.

The Lightning is slightly slower to 60 than the [far lighter] Mach E GT, but the Mach E GT falls on it's face around 80mph and the Lightning goes running past it around the 1/4-mile mark (trap speed is ~10mph higher). It's clearly not pulling power like the Mach E GT despite putting out even more power.

Ford needs to improve battery cooling big-time before you can say they've truly nailed it.
So far, it looks like the cooling is quite good on the Lightning, but there's definitely room for people to improve over the Lightning.

While the Chevy is earlier on in the process, it looks like a far better option than the F-150. They also won't have awful bundles which force you into the expensive trims if you want the larger battery option.
I think it's too early to claim either of those things confidently. For all we know, Ford will make the ER battery available on the Pro (for retail) if Chevy actually does it for the Silverado, for instance.

That said, everything I see still tells me the Rivian is the best truck. But if you want full-size, then that's more objective and you can't really argue between the two. Personally I hate driving full size trucks.
I think the Rivian is the best total package truck, too, overall... except maybe the Lightning Pro because it's such an insane value at $40k.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Blaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55
And this explanation is a big reason why I choose to take delivery of a R1T next Thursday for a mere $2k more than a lower range, lower performance, and vastly lesser equipped Lightning XLT ER. Not that Ford let many Alabamians order one anyway...😉
Yeah, if you have a pre-March price on an R1T, it's a substantially better value than a Lightning, IMO... except the Lightning Pro that's just a bonkers value compared to the other Lightnings (and all other EVs, for that matter), but it's basically unobtanium, even worse than the already-rare XLT.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
No way, man. Their battery cooling is WAY subpar, hence their rather poor 150kW charging limitation.
Going to disagree with you there. If you get max tow package, F150 Lightning has 2 cooling loops and 2 ac compressors. They have superior cooling to the R1T. The limit is also 170 kW, not 150 kW. The reason for this though is not because of thermal management, its because Ford is afraid of battery degradation and isn't willing to risk higher speeds and more warranty claims.

Last edited:

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Nice right up. Not selling my R1T anytime soon (not that I could because it isn't even registered yet) and not a huge Ford fan but..

Super jealous of the F150L for a few reasons. The back seat with flat floor on folding it up, the sunroof that opens with a shade (if you equipped it as such), apple carplay and the ability to use a slide in camper or generally the availability of aftermarket accessories.

OP
OP
MNLightning

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
@MNLightning just curious if you've made a decision yet on which one you are going to keep.
Every time I think I've made up my mind..... I realize I haven't. The Ford is/would be a better choice for medium to long trips 20+ miles. But I operate within a 25 mile radius and the R1T feels more maneuverable and sporty. But then a Smoother Ride, BlueCruise is really nice, XM Radio, CarPlay factor in also. So basically I enjoy Cruising in the Lightning more than the R1T. And I enjoy Driving the R1T more than the Lightning because it feels/is sportier.

Yea, good thing I'm not in a hurry :)

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Every time I think I've made up my mind..... I realize I haven't. The Ford is/would be a better choice for medium to long trips 20+ miles. But I operate within a 25 mile radius and the R1T feels more maneuverable and sporty. But then a Smoother Ride, BlueCruise is really nice, XM Radio, CarPlay factor in also. So basically I enjoy Cruising in the Lightning more than the R1T. And I enjoy Driving the R1T more than the Lightning because it feels/is sportier.

At least it sounds like you can't go wrong with either truck.

Sponsored

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
I'm really surprised that the interior went to the F150, but it appears to be more about function than quality and appearance. My forest edge interior is the nicest interior I've ever seen, and I don't typically double-fist while driving so don't value cupholders much.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I'm really surprised that the interior went to the F150, but it appears to be more about function than quality and appearance. My forest edge interior is the nicest interior I've ever seen, and I don't typically double-fist while driving so don't value cupholders much.
My biggest complaint about the R1T interior so far is the lack of storage. No glovebox and the center console really isn't that big. The Model Y's 2 center console storage area holds more than the Rivian R1T center console. I really wish they did something with that big empty space in front of the center console.

F150 Lightning has a ton of storage. The center console is massive, it has 2 glove boxes, 4 cup holders on the center console.

Bravado21

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99' Subara Impreza 2.5RS, R1T LE
Occupation
Engineer
These are just my "Opinions"
  1. Kind of like trying to pick which kid you like more. Both have their Pro's and Con's
  2. Ride - Lighting. Actually it's not that close from a comfort basis
  3. Ride - R1T. Actually it's not that close from a Sporty/Handling basis/feel
  4. Interior - Lightning. I just like the APPLE CAR Play and XM Radio, Seats, Cup Holders, Fold Down Spot for My Laptop and more. For me the R1T might be more contemporary but it's less usable for my purposes.
  5. Exterior - R1T. Looks more futuristic
  6. Size - Personal preference.... I'd tip toward the R1T as for trailering or as someone said a "Snowplow" I don't think either is a good choice for me. But for parking and maneuverability the R1T has the edge.
  7. Frunk - Lightning. Mostly because of the lower threshold.
  8. Power Supplies - Lightning both inside and outside the cab. 230v USB, charging etc...
  9. Performance - R1T. Not even close. The Lighting is quick, but the RT1 is that and fast.
  10. Off Road - R1T. Haven't done it and probably won't ever do what some here would consider a real off road work out.
  11. Less Road Noise Wind Noise - Win-Lightning. By a fair margin, some of which might be because of the suspension on the Ford.
  12. Which one to Keep----- I'll decide over the next week or so. I was offered $118,000 for the R1T and in spite of the plusses and minuses I'm not sure I want to part with it.
So depending on the daily use and your preferences either one can be a winner, but it doesn't make the other a loser.

Rivian R1T vs Ford F150 Lightning comparison review by owner 1.jpeg

Rivian R1T vs Ford F150 Lightning comparison review by owner 4.jpeg

Rivian R1T vs Ford F150 Lightning comparison review by owner 2.jpeg

Rivian R1T vs Ford F150 Lightning comparison review by owner 3.jpeg

F150 Lightning vs Rivian R1T review comparison.jpg
I like how you kept it simple

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
My biggest complaint about the R1T interior so far is the lack of storage. No glovebox and the center console really isn't that big. The Model Y's 2 center console storage area holds more than the Rivian R1T center console. I really wish they did something with that big empty space in front of the center console.

F150 Lightning has a ton of storage. The center console is massive, it has 2 glove boxes, 4 cup holders on the center console.

That’s funny. That big center spot has been the favorite feature of every woman that’s been in the truck.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning

One thing I forgot to ask about is parking. Do you notice a difference parking in a parking lot between the Lightning and R1T? It's been a few years since I had my f150, but I remember some spaces were a little tight. The R1T so far feels comfortable to park for me.
Sponsored