Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I mean, Toyota had their PR stunt where they towed the Space Shuttle through Los Angeles.

Heck, my old 54 horsepower Subaru Justy could probably tow a million pounds - if that million pounds were on lubricated railroad cars… It just couldn't do it very fast. Or have it come to a stop without railcar brakes.
Sponsored

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I mean, Toyota had their PR stunt where they towed the Space Shuttle through Los Angeles.

Heck, my old 54 horsepower Subaru Justy could probably tow a million pounds - if that million pounds were on lubricated railroad cars… It just couldn't do it very fast. Or have it come to a stop without railcar brakes.
Yes, I remember that. And as you say it was simply a PR stunt. Maybe that event affected young Elon in a very profound way and he grew up thinking it was a very useful metric for purchasing vehicles.

But when looking at a Toyota Tundra brochure it didn’t include “space shuttle” in the specs. And they didn’t use insane language like “near infinite mass” to describe what they did that day. In fact the Toyota press release for that event also clearly explains what was happening and included descriptions of the special dolly and made the event more about the science, not the towing prowess of the Tundra. Maybe Elon missed that part.

https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-tundra-tow-space-shuttle-endeavour-oct12/

I loved the Justy!

swazi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Also, as has been pointed out earlier, there is no “near infinite”. That’s the same as infinite.
It's more like "kills 99.9% of all germs".
"Sir, it kills all germs except the one you were hoping it would kill".

So for "near infinite" the correct math would be; infinity - 0.1

You're welcome.

Sponsored

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It's more like "kills 99.9% of all germs".
"Sir, it kills all germs except the one you were hoping it would kill".

So for "near infinite" the correct math would be; infinity - 0.1

You're welcome.
Good point. Elon really should be more precise with his snake oil claims :)

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
It's good to know I can load up my Cybertruck's bed full of dark matter and cruise around town. Instead of talking about how Darth Vader and I could have a tow off with my new Cybertruck and his Death Star Elon could just make the damn thing.

This is the sort of thing that will eventually ruin his company. Rivian Tony isn't a whole lot better, instead of making outlandish claims he just babbles incoherently. It seems that EV companies might know how to make a cool product but their PR people are total morons. The bar for customer communication is really on the floor at this point.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It's good to know I can load up my Cybertruck's bed full of dark matter and cruise around town. Instead of talking about how Darth Vader and I could have a tow off with my new Cybertruck and his Death Star Elon could just make the damn thing.

This is the sort of thing that will eventually ruin his company. Rivian Tony isn't a whole lot better, instead of making outlandish claims he just babbles incoherently. It seems that EV companies might know how to make a cool product but their PR people are total morons. The bar for customer communication is really on the floor at this point.
It’s sad but true. Right now our choices are incoherence or insanity😞

Dark matter might have been exactly what Elon was referring to since no one actually knows how much it weighs :CWL:

They are trying to figure it out though! Elon will have to edit the CT specs eventually.
https://www.livescience.com/dark-matter-mass.html

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
vaporware is fun!!!

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Again, those are actual numbers and Toyota never used “300,000 lbs” on any marketing materials. saying Rivian “could probably” also means they have not and likely will not use that in their own marketing.…UNLIKE Tesla.

Also, as has been pointed out earlier, there is no “near infinite”. That’s the same as infinite.
The Charlatan said, mass, not weight. So, on a frictionless surface, the lying fool would be right.

Sponsored

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
vaporware is fun!!!
To me that’s actually the funniest part about this. You can pretty much say whatever you like about the specs of an imaginary truck that no one owns yet… no one will know if you are lying or not - UNLESS you say something incredibly stupid like it can ”pull near infinite mass”.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
To me that’s actually the funniest part about this. You can pretty much say whatever you like about the specs of an imaginary truck that no one owns yet… no one will know if you are lying or not - UNLESS you say something incredibly stupid like it can ”pull near infinite mass”.
Or “you can use it as a boat for short periods of time”

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

They aren’t wrong. Hell, I could bench press “near infinite mass” —I just need to be in zero gravity and move it “near infinitely slowly” to accomplish it 😂

F=ma