Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Recently took a round trip in my R1T from Seattle to LA/SD and wanted to share my observations with efficiency, charging, and overall driving experience.

Driving Dynamics
i use my R1T for daily driving and its great for that but i think its an even better long trip vehicle. amazingly comfortable, smooth, composed, and of course fast. it inspires confidence no matter the elements, time of day or driving situation. i couldnt find a negative about it during our trip.

Tech
Driver+ worked well about 95% of the time on 95% of the freeways/highways. where it doesnt work well is curvy roads. it is not smooth, id go as far to say its jerky. it also tends to hug the right side of the lane and there are times i've felt it get too close to other vehicles. and it might be my imagination but id swear it gets closer to the right as i get closer to the vehicles. doesnt inspire confidence and i had to disable it on multiple occasions. lane change assist works great 95% of the time as well but also sometimes jerks when its getting set in the new lane. adaptive CC works well enough but its a bit slow to accelerate/adjust after slowing down. i find myself being tailgated because of this.

the sound system (Meridian) is amazing - one thing i realized on this trip is the system sounds really good at any volume.

navigation worked well to get me from point A to point B but planned charging was frustrating. id map a route/plan using the app but when i sent it to the truck it would change. not all charging stations show up in the app or nav, so i used ABRP and/or Plugshare. I also learned the hard way that you can’t rely on the Rivian nav, ABRP or Plugshare to determine if a charger is online or not. You should double check with the 3rd party app as that will be most accurate. id often find myself using both the nav and waze so id have the best route and account for traffic, road hazards and police checkpoints. in other words, i couldn't rely on just the built in nav to do our trip. some room for improvement.

Comfort/Convenience
the seats are insanely comfortable. but i will say i was using Driver+ a lot so that allowed me to "relax" more on the drive. definitely its the combination of the two that enhances the overall experience. the amount and flexibility of exterior storage is awesome for gear, luggage, etc. however, not enough cup holders and interior storage for knick-knacks. when road tripping, you'll often have multiple drinks and its just inconvenient to have two. and there's no real convenient place for sunglasses, wallet, snack bags, etc.

one poor design, i might even say design flaw, are the doors. A) the door handles are too low. i've known this of course since day one but highlighted by this trip and leads me to my other critique. B) the door storage pockets are difficult to access at best while the door is closed. as mentioned before, only two cup holders and no knick-knack storage so you end up placing things in the door storage but because of the design you cant easily reach it.

wind noise is there at 70+ mph but its there for all vehicles. i've done tests with a sound meter and its no louder in my R1T than my Lexus. road noise however is a bit louder in my R1T, probably due to the 20 AT tires. id be curious to know what AS 20s would be for road noise (and efficiency)

Charging
charging can be frustrating and mentally tiring. as i noted earlier, it wasnt easy/simple to plan out our charging route, partly due to the mapping, partly due to chargers being occupied or offline, and partly due to the efficiency of the vehicle. so its partly a infrastructure issue and partly a range/efficiency issue.

im not new to charging and know it'll take anywhere from 10 min to an hour depending on my state of charge, charger speed, next charger stop but having to stop 10-11 times can be exhausting. of course its great to take a break, stretch the legs, even eat but its just a lot. when you add in chargers being occupied, not working or slower than stated/expected, it compounds the frustration. my hybrid gets between 500-550 miles per fill up and i could have done the one-way trip with 2 stops.

most folks at chargers were friendly and had good charging etiquette but a couple of times chargers were blocked or they hadn't returned to their vehicle even though they were done charging. guess they dont mind the idle fees but its annoying.

charging locations don't have any covering and are usually located "around back". it could make it uncomfortable/unsafe for those traveling alone. in most cases, shops/restaurants were nearby but its usually never as convenient as gas stations.

Efficiency
at speeds between 70-80 mph, the efficiency is not great but its hard to drive at 60-65 mph when you know you've got 1200 miles to cover. i averaged 1.79 mi/kwh for the whole trip. that adds up to only 241 miles range per full charge but as you know you dont charge up to 100% or go down to near 0% when traveling, so really i was getting at most ~180-190 miles per charge. up till now i'd been averaging 2.28 mi/kwh so nowhere near that at constant highway speeds.

i decided to do a little experiment and do the trip there in All-Purpose Standard height and the trip back in All-Purpose Low height. hard to say if that had the biggest improvement on efficiency because we had rain about 75% of the time on the way there but very little rain on the way back. my gut tells me it does impact efficiency, small but still better. i wish i could go to Lowest height in AP mode but can only do that in Sport and Conserve. i went for a bit in Sport but that drops efficiency (during my 50 mile test) and i didnt want to use Conserve on this trip.

Chargers
i used the Rivian Adventure Network (RAN), Electrify America (EA) and EVgo. i used battery preconditioning for each charge. sometimes the vehicle started that 1 hour before, sometimes 30 min, sometimes 15 min. sometimes it'd do it twice. seemed like it was trying to get the battery to the low 70s temp.

i had the best charging with the Rivian Adventure Network. plug and charge, best rates, high charge speeds and almost always working and available. there was one time the entire station was down but a week later when i returned it was up and running. second best was EVgo. consistently got good charge speeds as stated on the charger/app. also never ran into an issue with the charger not working when the app stated it was. connected each time and simple to start the charge. EA comes in third. i did get good charge speeds but a few times it didnt go as high as expected and a few times even though the app said it was working when i got there it wasn't. it wouldn't always connect properly and a few times it stopped the charge and i had to restart or move chargers.

RAN peaked at about 200-215 kW
EVgo peaked at about 175-200 kW
EA peaked at about 165-190 kW

the charging curve pretty consistently looked like this, regardless of charger. peak speeds sometimes lasted a bit longer, sometimes a bit shorter. definite step down over time, as expected.
Rivian R1T R1S Roundtrip Seattle to SoCal in my R1T: Experience and Observations IMG_5910

Summary
the R1T is an incredible vehicle to road trip in but charging is brutal. its amazingly comfortable, smooth and just a joy to drive. its capable and confident no matter the conditions. the tech is mostly good, but definitely needs improvement in some areas and thankfully those are areas they can address in software. a few design issues but nothing they can do for this gen vehicle, hopefully they make improvements in the next gen. one big negative about road tripping in the R1T is you can't dictate all the terms of your trip, you're beholden to charging infrastructure and efficiency/range of your vehicle. fine if your trip is about the journey not the destination but for most trips its about the destination. hopefully as Tesla opens up is SC network, this will become less of an issue. of course this doesnt change they efficiency/range of the vehicle so expect to stop a lot.

would i road trip in the R1T again? i dont know. its 50-50 at this point. hope this helps anyone thinking about taking a long trip with your R1T/R1S.

anyway, a few details and pics below. i had a chance to stop by the new Rivian Space in Laguna Beach and they have the Limestone Legends R1T that was used to win the Rebelle Rally this year. that was pretty cool to see the mods and gear. (pics below)

OVERALL
R1T, Quad, 20 AT
Total distance: ~2500 miles
Number of charges: 21 (EA - 10 times, RAN - 8 times, EVgo - 3 times)
Total kWh: ~1396
Efficiency: 1.79 mi/kWh
Avg Temps: ~35-55 Fahrenheit
Avg Speed: ~70-80 mph

SEATTLE -> LA
Total distance: ~1250 miles
Number of charges: 11
Avg miles per stop: 113
Total kWh: 705
Efficiency: 1.77 mi/kWh
Weather: rain on and off
Drive mode: All-Purpose Standard height
Climate control: used heater about 50% of the time

LA -> SEATTLE
Total distance: ~1250 miles
Number of charges: 10
Avg miles per stop: 125
Total kWh: 691
Efficiency: 1.81 mi/kWh
Weather: no rain
Drive mode: All-purpose Low height
Climate control: used heater about 50% of the time

RAN - Roseburg
Rivian R1T R1S Roundtrip Seattle to SoCal in my R1T: Experience and Observations IMG_5887

RAN - Mt Shasta

Rivian R1T R1S Roundtrip Seattle to SoCal in my R1T: Experience and Observations IMG_5897
Rivian R1T R1S Roundtrip Seattle to SoCal in my R1T: Experience and Observations IMG_5987
Rivian R1T R1S Roundtrip Seattle to SoCal in my R1T: Experience and Observations IMG_5986

RAN - Buttonwillow
Rivian R1T R1S Roundtrip Seattle to SoCal in my R1T: Experience and Observations IMG_5906
Rivian R1T R1S Roundtrip Seattle to SoCal in my R1T: Experience and Observations IMG_5911
Rivian R1T R1S Roundtrip Seattle to SoCal in my R1T: Experience and Observations IMG_5971

RAN - Santa Nella
Rivian R1T R1S Roundtrip Seattle to SoCal in my R1T: Experience and Observations IMG_5973
Rivian R1T R1S Roundtrip Seattle to SoCal in my R1T: Experience and Observations IMG_5974
Rivian R1T R1S Roundtrip Seattle to SoCal in my R1T: Experience and Observations 0E5B5E2A-4F75-4525-91A6-DAD9F994C3C4.JPG

EA - Willows
Rivian R1T R1S Roundtrip Seattle to SoCal in my R1T: Experience and Observations IMG_5900

EVgo - Carlsbad
Rivian R1T R1S Roundtrip Seattle to SoCal in my R1T: Experience and Observations IMG_5952

EA - Anderson
Rivian R1T R1S Roundtrip Seattle to SoCal in my R1T: Experience and Observations IMG_5984

Rivian Space - Laguna Beach
Rivian R1T R1S Roundtrip Seattle to SoCal in my R1T: Experience and Observations IMG_5940
Rivian R1T R1S Roundtrip Seattle to SoCal in my R1T: Experience and Observations IMG_5942
Rivian R1T R1S Roundtrip Seattle to SoCal in my R1T: Experience and Observations IMG_5945
Sponsored

Last edited:

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Thanks for sharing! Did this same trip last December to Malibu/LA/SD and averaged 2.22 on 22s. We did route down 101 and Big Sur on way down which I'm sure increased the average eff.

ljubitel

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Tesla Model 3, R1T
Sounds about right. I guess if you switch to 21" tires you might get more reasonable efficiency.

WhidbeyIsland

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Lexus RX350 & 2023 R1T
Occupation
Retired!
Thanks for the writeup... I'm planning on doing the same trip in June 2024.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Why no Conserve on the trip? It makes a big difference, and the new dual motors essentially run it all the time on the highway. As long as you aren't gunning it and slamming brakes, you should be good on the tires. On road trips, I switch into it after hitting 70 and out of it before slowing to get off the highway.

Also, I want to know more about these hinges... Did they remove the struts to make it easier to get in and out of there? Like a quick flip up and down to access? I've always been annoyed by those struts, seems like too much trouble and something that should be replaced by an old-school hood prop rod.
Rivian R1T R1S Roundtrip Seattle to SoCal in my R1T: Experience and Observations IMG_5945~2

Sponsored

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Why no Conserve on the trip? It makes a big difference, and the new dual motors essentially run it all the time on the highway. As long as you aren't gunning it and slamming brakes, you should be good on the tires. On road trips, I switch into it after hitting 70 and out of it before slowing to get off the highway.

Also, I want to know more about these hinges... Did they remove the struts to make it easier to get in and out of there? Like a quick flip up and down to access? I've always been annoyed by those struts, seems like too much trouble and something that should be replaced by an old-school hood prop rod.
IMG_5945~2.jpg
good question. for this trip i wanted to run in AP as a test. also, i ran conserve on a shorter trip, about 300 miles earlier in the year, mostly freeway driving and i visibly saw tire wear on the front tires so ive decided not to use it unless absolutely necessary.

if you'll notice, this is not the standard cover for the in bed storage. its a hack/mod. they essentially cut it about 60-70% shorter and put exterior hinges. they stored the spares in the bed but still wanted access to storage space for tools. as i recall there are struts there but much shorter.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

if you'll notice, this is not the standard cover for the in bed storage. its a hack/mod. they essentially cut it about 60-70% shorter and put exterior hinges. they stored the spares in the bed but still wanted access to storage space for tools. as i recall there are struts there but much shorter.
Love it! I see some ultra-saw action in my future 🪚🛻

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
I recently went from the Bay Area to Tacoma and back in the R1T. I agree with a lot of your thoughts on things like efficiency and Driver+ on curvy roads -- you may as well not even use it between Mt Shasta and Redding as it'll scare a few years of life out of you!

I also found that the RAN stations are about perfectly spaced on I5 up through Oregon so that you can get between them on one charge in about 2.5-3 hours of driving.

I'll definitely take the R1T on another road trip.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

most folks at chargers were friendly and had good charging etiquette but a couple of times chargers were blocked or they hadn't returned to their vehicle even though they were done charging. guess they dont mind the idle fees but its annoying.
I feel this one. I hit two different stations that were full with folks waiting on a trip from Denver to Chicago. Chevy Bolts and Kia Niro EVs were the super slow to charge folks, but it's hard to fault them when they still stopped at 80%. I had one Hyundai Ioniq 5 owner that decided that the perfect time to charge to >95% was while 2-3 cars were waiting to charge...me being one of them. :mad: When I finally got on a charger at that station I actually re-planned the end of my trip to add one more quick charge so folks didn't have to wait as long for me to move on. Sadly, that additional stop was the other one where I had to wait 15+ min for a stall to open up. In contrast, traveling on Xmas day was glorious as I barely saw another car at a charger for over 800 miles.

pnwuser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T 2023 VW id.4
Clubs

Finished a very similar trip just before the holidays Portland to Anaheim (Disneyland) and back. About 2K miles. 2023 R1T with 22s. We used the RAN chargers as much as possible, hotel slow chargers when available overnight and EA if necessary. The RAN chargers worked well. We saw the same issue with the RAN chargers in Roseburg as you on 12/15 but fortunately we were the only ones there to charge so we used one of the two working stations. When we returned to Roseburg on 12/23 all of them were working. To be honest I was surprised I didn't see more Rivian's on the road on the trip. I see more in my neighborhood in Portland then I did on the trip (seemingly).

We didn't have to wait at any charger to charge, RAN or the 3 EA's we used. Likely a little luck involved but also some planning. I didn't record our efficiency stats. We used efficiency mode out of abundance of caution and I never felt the need to switch to all purpose. The truck never needed more power even in the grapevine north of LA, or southern Oregon mountain passes. I'm less concerned about tire wear as i'm thinking about the replacing the wheels and tires with the 20's in the spring in time for a trip to Utah/Colorado. Despite the efficiency hit we'll take over the 22's.

Interestingly enough I didn't expect the Santa Nella RAN to be online on our trip as the maps on Rivians site still showed them as pending when we started our trip on 12/15. Fortunately the truck knew they where online and so we used them on the way down and back. Rivians site now shows Santa Nella as online. Most of the RAN's were convenient but we did find the Sacramento station to be a little out of the way, at least for a trip up and down I5. At least the Sacramento RAN is at an REI which made killing time fun of not expensive. The only RAN between Portland and Anaheim we didn't use was Manteca (didn't need it).

I agree it's a great road trip vehicle even the R1T with 5 people and all out gear. Only issue is the rear middle seat is a little uncomfortable.

Sponsored

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
Nice. Agree on charging. I considered the same trip, but flew instead.

835Horses

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi R8
Occupation
Software
Fantastic write up thanks. Just got my R1S 2 weeks ago and loving it. Came from a Model X. Curious why no one mentioned using the Tesla charging network with an adapter?

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Fantastic write up thanks. Just got my R1S 2 weeks ago and loving it. Came from a Model X. Curious why no one mentioned using the Tesla charging network with an adapter?
Probably because they don’t exist yet

Rob O

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2019 RS5 Sportback, 2018 Raptor, 2020 M4
Occupation
Dad
Great write up and observations. Many of the “challlenges” and shortcomings you experienced — from real world range and charging infrastructure shortcomings to lack of storage cubbies — highlight why I’ve decided to go back to a Raptor. Love my R1T, but a frequent road trip machine it isn’t (at least not in 2023).

I’ve put 14k miles on my R1T since April, and nearly 10k are road trip miles. My daughter is a competitive equestrian, so we are at shows up and down the West Coast throughout the year (sometimes spanning as far east as Calgary to Denver as well). Since April I’ve been from Bend to: Temecula, San Diego, Palm Desert, Irvine/Newport, Paso Robles, San Jose, Seattle, Portland and Newberg, OR … all separate round trip journeys, hitting Temecula (2000+ miles) on two separate occasions.

I miss having a cabin with endless storage, countless cup holders, tons of cubbies and the interior space a full size truck affords. That stuff makes a huge difference on long journeys.

Public charging in its current state (no pun intended) sucks for long trips. My Southern California drives can be done in 15-16 hours in an ICE vehicle, including stops, but takes 20+ in the Rivian. As noted, the charging stops can be refreshing and aren’t a bad thing ... they just add up when logging a lot of miles. I recently drove Bend to San Jose in my Audi RS5 and did it in just under 8 hours. Wanted to take the Rivian, but route planning showed 10 hours and, from experience, I know it could have been even longer depending on how things went at non-RAN DCFCs. It wasn’t worth the extra time.

If didn’t need a “real truck”, in terms of bed size and the ability to put a canopy on it for expanded dry/secure storage capability, or that could eat up miles without adding 20% more travel time and, often, the hassle of charging while away from home ... the R1T is a gem. I really like Rivian as a company, and what they’re doing, and love the R1T ... but road trippin’ ain’t it’s strong suit.

Last edited:

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

Driver+ on curvy roads -- you may as well not even use it between Mt Shasta and Redding as it'll scare a few years of life out of you!
I felt the same way doing North Bay to Bend and back. The driver display showed a curvy road indicator next to the set speed, and would slow down, but it felt safer to drive without Driver+.
Sponsored