Sponsored

Rivian's Latest Cost-Cutting Measure? The Horn!

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
wonder why we went back to the old inefficient model.
A not-so-new business model that is more software-focused—which is easier, faster and cheaper to make and make new again—rather than hardware-focused. A business model championed by the software giants. It taught and conditioned everyone that releases don't have to be perfect and flaws are OK. No, it didn't start with Tesla. It's just an existing business model (and consumer culture) that has now been applied to cars. A.K.A. the Digital Revolution.

The difference is a car's hardware is more complex than personal computers and cellphones, even without the ICE.
Sponsored

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My belief is if you are OK letting vehicles leave the production line less that perfect and you have been manufacturing basically the same vehicle for two years now that is flaw in managements vision

Would Ike to know how the Amazon van quality off the production line is.

Really hope we see some serious improvement soon. Service needs to be building strong positive relationships with the owners. Need reasonable appointment times and quick turnaround of the vehicles back to the owners.

Service should be getting 5 stars out of 5 stars so those ordering do not have to question if they are making the correct decision purchasing a Rivian
Investors care about # of vehicles delivered, not panel gaps.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

This is the most confusing of changes:

1. No HORN?
2. New Horn?
3. Twin Horn?
4. Speaker Horn?
One Horn, Two Horn,
Red Horn
Blue Horn
You horn, me horn, a good horn is a unicorn!

Sorry, I saw your list and it triggered the Seussical portion of my brain...

Sponsored

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
A not-so-new business model that is more software-focused—which is easier, faster and cheaper to make and make new again—rather than hardware-focused. A business model championed by the software giants. It taught and conditioned everyone that releases don't have to be perfect and flaws are OK. No, it didn't start with Tesla. It's just an existing business model (and consumer culture) that has now been applied to cars. A.K.A. the Digital Revolution.

The difference is a car's hardware is more complex than personal computers and cellphones, even without the ICE.

I agree and I also suffered with Tesla back in early 2016 with similar issues as you said with my first EV. Although the Model S was pretty solid

But wish our mgmt team would realize you can charge almost anything if you have the highest quality vehicle available. Might also help stockprices head north

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Advertising Circus
But wish our mgmt team would realize you can charge almost anything if you have the highest quality vehicle available. Might also help stockprices head north
As already mentioned in this thread... Wall St. isn't interested in quality. It's interested in production and delivery numbers. Both of which are also Rivian's top priority, as it ramps and follow its plan towards profitability. Eventually, initial quality will be higher priority than it is now. We're just not there yet.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
This thread made me do some investigation. I found 2 or 3 different places where a slim round horn will fit, but no room for my 24" locomotive air horn. The fuse for the horn is a 15 amp. Hella makes some compact horns pairs that should fit and draw 42 watts or about 3.5 amps, so in theory that would not even require a relay. The only thing left is to identify the horn power feed wire. I didn't have time to pull the frunk tub. Does anyone know if pulling the frunk tub give access to the back of the horn? It seems like it should.

Hella horns are pretty decent and the Sharptone makes hella noise, rated at 115 db. I'm not going to have any time to work on this for a few weeks, but I am going to dig a bit more for access to the horn wiring and give this a try.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian's Latest Cost-Cutting Measure? The Horn! sharptone

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Advertising Circus
This thread made me do some investigation. I found 2 or 3 different places where a slim round horn will fit, but no room for my 24" locomotive air horn. The fuse for the horn is a 15 amp. Hella makes some compact horns pairs that should fit and draw 42 watts or about 3.5 amps, so in theory that would not even require a relay. The only thing left is to identify the horn power feed wire. I didn't have time to pull the frunk tub. Does anyone know if pulling the frunk tub give access to the back of the horn? It seems like it should.

Hella horns are pretty decent and the Sharptone makes hella noise, rated at 115 db. I'm not going to have any time to work on this for a few weeks, but I am going to dig a bit more for access to the horn wiring and give this a try.

sharptone.jpg
I've look too. Hella "Supertones" is what they are. Ferrari used to use them back in the late 90s and early 2000s. Not sure if they still do. It was the first mod I made to my VW GTI back in the day. Cut through din of highway traffic very nicely. https://a.co/d/9EXzrCB

The hard part is figuring out how to get to factory locations, or even assessing difficulty, since Rivian doesn't make repair manuals public. Should we start a fund to bribe a tech? :D

Last edited:

JBo1828

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
VP
I've been complaining about this since my delivery in April. The horn is too weak, in terms of pitch, to get the attention of a distracted driver. IMO, needs the second lower register. Shouldn't be hard to get an aftermarket horn but it sure is annoying to have to do this to a $100k truck.
How about the fact that ITS EMBARRASSING!??? It sounds like one of those little French cars. I refuse to use it, even when appropriate 🤦🏻‍♂️😅🤣🤣🤣

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I've look too. Hella "Supertones" is what they are. Ferrari used to use them back in the late 90s and early 2000s. Not sure if they still do. It was the first mod I made to my VW GTI back in the day. Cut through din of highway traffic very nicely. https://a.co/d/9EXzrCB

The hard part is figuring out how to get to factory locations, or even assessing difficulty, since Rivian doesn't make repair manuals public. Should we start a fund to bribe a tech? :D
The "SharpTone" is a newer model compared to the original "SuperTone" and is a lower pitch. This video shows both and at the end compares the tones. I prefer the SharpTone.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

sharptone.jpg
I have a set of supertones in my basement leftover from my STI days (and a set of sharptones on my wife's FXT).
Maybe I'll do some poking around this weekend if time allows. Good call.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

sharptone.jpg
Any further updates on wiring or install tips for mounting.

Here are some pictures to help you

I am having some body work done that was noticed upon delivery and want to take this opportunity to install a second horn where it’s missing on the passenger side because they have the bumper already off.

i’ve asked the shop for a quote for mechanical work, and I let them know I will order the Subaru, mounting bracket they could try to use to re-purpose as a mounting solution, the relay wiring set, even if they might not need it, and both super tone and sharp tone just in case I run into issues with mounting because of size.

would you recommend just installing one black horn where it’s missing on the passenger side using a relay or try to use the mounting bracket and install both horns along with keeping the stock horn?

Is anyone worried about feedback into the stock wiring system, causing any sort of damage or short or having the warranty voided because of this I’m just worried it’s a computer on wheels?

Edit: spoke to a friend extensively regarding his experience, installing the hella dual horns on his Rivian truck, and he mentioned he had some issues with the CAN system, and making sure he was able to safely pull power without disturbing the system. He had to leave his stock horn or the CAN system went nuts and the dual horns used too much power when tapped in direct and caused issues if you used the horn a long time. The system would see a dip in power.

I think I’m going to hold off with the horn install while they already have the bumper off until we have more experience dealing with the CAN system and installing aftermarket accessories

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian's Latest Cost-Cutting Measure? The Horn! IMG_4864
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian's Latest Cost-Cutting Measure? The Horn! IMG_4880
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian's Latest Cost-Cutting Measure? The Horn! IMG_4891
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian's Latest Cost-Cutting Measure? The Horn! IMG_4889
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian's Latest Cost-Cutting Measure? The Horn! IMG_4892
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian's Latest Cost-Cutting Measure? The Horn! IMG_4890
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian's Latest Cost-Cutting Measure? The Horn! IMG_4893
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian's Latest Cost-Cutting Measure? The Horn! IMG_4894

Last edited:

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Hopefully someone figures out how to adapt those horns. I'll get those supertone ones because that's basically the audio version of flipping someone off. I have the dual horns and it isn't getting it done the same way.
Sponsored